Dodge Caliber Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Your problem is the 2007 models have cvt1. Poor mapping and performance and reliability issues. In 2008 and beyond they updated to cvt2. This new cvt2 is programmed much better and you can't get it in the 07. I drive an 08 rt with the 2.4. I consistently get 19.9mpg doing city pizza delivery. The drop in k&n filter improved my mpg by 1to2 mpg and produces a noticeable improvement to acceleration. (less lag). I also use premium fuel. I couldn't be happier with my dodge's performance. *heads up* the steering rack/main gear is one unit and is built to last just 70000miles. Mine made it to 77000 and then I lost all power steering. Cost $700 to fix.
All calibers with a CVT have the CVT2. I remember back when the Caliber was introduced they were advertising it like that.

there is absolutely no reason to use premium fuel in your car. You wont get ANY performance benefit, and wont get any gas mileage increase. Your throwing your money away, and with the way gas prices are now, the difference between premium and regular is sizeable.
i actually got worse mileage in my caliber with premium

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
there is absolutely no reason to use premium fuel in your car. You wont get ANY performance benefit, and wont get any gas mileage increase. Your throwing your money away, and with the way gas prices are now, the difference between premium and regular is sizeable.
Since the introduction of fuel injection (and more so now with variable valve timing), cars are set to run a specific octane level. For these cars, the fuel mapping and valve timing is set specifically for the lower octane levels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would a cold air intake be worth the cost and would the fuel economy be any better. I like the look of the mopar intake but not sure if it is worth it

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Would a cold air intake be worth the cost and would the fuel economy be any better. I like the look of the mopar intake but not sure if it is worth it
If you have a non-SRT caliber, it would help with fuel/performance as it would allow more air in then. The stock snorkal is a bit restrictive.
That being said, they don't exactly give the CAI units away, and they can be pricy for what you get/gain.
For the CSRT models, I personally think there is no gain to be had. It does however sound pretty sweet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my caliber gets better mileage and better performance with premium fuel. In fact its a NOTICEABLE difference. A difference ive confirmed with real-world driving stats updated every fill-up over the span of 83,000 miles. Perhaps your gas stations fuel tanks are all sludged up or ripping you off with regular gas. Try switching. Ive read all the same articles you have about how premium fuel is a waste. Well call me whatever you want because in my professional opinion premium fuel outperforms regular fuel in my car. I was mistaken about the cvt1 being in the 07 though. According to allpar.com and wikipedia the cvt1 was scrapped for a number of reasons prior to initial production, however some minor changes were made such as the 08 doesn't have the throttle detent on the gas pedal that the 07 has.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
my caliber gets better mileage and better performance with premium fuel. In fact its a NOTICEABLE difference. A difference ive confirmed with real-world driving stats updated every fill-up over the span of 83,000 miles. Perhaps your gas stations fuel tanks are all sludged up or ripping you off with regular gas. Try switching. Ive read all the same articles you have about how premium fuel is a waste. Well call me whatever you want because in my professional opinion premium fuel outperforms regular fuel in my car. I was mistaken about the cvt1 being in the 07 though. According to allpar.com and wikipedia the cvt1 was scrapped for a number of reasons prior to initial production, however some minor changes were made such as the 08 doesn't have the throttle detent on the gas pedal that the 07 has.
Your professional opinion?

Really? Im very interested in this.

Have you spoken with the engineers that designed the engine and computer mapping and programming?

Better performance? So, then you put your car on a dyno NUMEROUS times, and measured HP/TQ output, as well as AFR's?

The lower the octane, the easier the fuel burns. When the car was designed, it was designed to run properly on 87 octane fuel. Anything octane higher than that will not burn as easily.

So you say it gets better mileage with premium? How have you proven this theory? Did you fill up with regular, drive till the light comes on, re-fuel, and calculate the mileage. Did you do this over the course of 3-4 months, and then average the number, and then do the same for premium fuel?

I guarantee you, you are wrong. There is NO benefit to running premium fuel in a car that was DESIGNED by ENGINEERS to run on 87 octane.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i'm averaging about 23mpg right now, but i only have clocked a few fillups. CVT is new to me so i try to understand the terminology (ratios, etc) as I read along. I do alot of daily driving, mostly city, and the a/c is on alot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since I bought the car, I'm averaging 28 MPG. I'm a bit disappointed because the window sticker said HWY MPG was 31.

I'm far from an expert on these cars, but this was my past experience with premium fuel. Every vehicle I owed ran better on the stuff and performed better on the stuff. I have not put a tank of premium in the Caliber as of yet. Most cars are set up to allow the timing to advance until the knock sensors detect detenation. More timing equals more power.

While this is apples and oranges, I had a Suzuki Swift GTI I ran in SCCA IT class. Just the change from 93 oct to 100 unleaded cut a second a lap at my local track. Of course when you run between 4000 RPM and 7000 RPM around the whole track, it ends up with 6 MPG, even in a 1.3L engine that would normally knock down 36 MPG.

Obviously, cost is also a factor. Even if you pick up an additional 4 MPG, the added cost of regular premium wouldn't net a savings. Some vehicles (like Fords) have noticeable spark knock. Midgrade eliminated the spark knock.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
i had a tank of premium once...got worse mileage out of it than the regular gas
Back when i had my focus, i ran it on a dyno a few times here and there. Same dyno, same air temps, and once with premium, once with regular. Regular netted more HP than premium, and my AFR's were closer to normal with regular as well.

Heres the thing, the caliber is what, 150-170HP, depending on the engine(excluding the srt4)? So if yu put premium in, and get 5HP(which wouldnt happen anyway) whats the gain? Is it worth the extra money, and wear on the engine to get 5HP? No..

Save up some money, do an exhaust, intake, header, and you will see more of a gain.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Back when i had my focus, i ran it on a dyno a few times here and there. Same dyno, same air temps, and once with premium, once with regular. Regular netted more HP than premium, and my AFR's were closer to normal with regular as well.

Heres the thing, the caliber is what, 150-170HP, depending on the engine(excluding the srt4)? So if yu put premium in, and get 5HP(which wouldnt happen anyway) whats the gain? Is it worth the extra money, and wear on the engine to get 5HP? No..

Save up some money, do an exhaust, intake, header, and you will see more of a gain.
officially, its 148hp with the 1.8, 158hp with the 2.0 and 172hp with the 2.4

...IIRC

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
officially, its 148hp with the 1.8, 158hp with the 2.0 and 172hp with the 2.4

...IIRC
Eh, whats two horsepower :rofl:

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2011 Rush is getting around 24-28 between a combination of City and HWY driving. I ususally drive it using the Auto stick option too. To me it acts too much like a Dog using it in Drive.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Bumper to Bumper traffic then playing tag with a motorcycle from Sudbury to Ottawa saw 8.1L per 100km average. If I drop it like a normal person my age, I would be for sure in the 7L per 100km.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Propane and LPG Conversions

Well, an other option to save money in fuel could be Propane and LPG Conversions, but I dont know if this could work in our caliber.

Does any body knows if can be done in the caliber and how?

·
Registered
971 Posts
My 2011 Rush is getting around 24-28 between a combination of City and HWY driving. I ususally drive it using the Auto stick option too. To me it acts too much like a Dog using it in Drive.
I can only get around 26-27 MPG. I don't see it acting like a dog. You have to learn how to drive it. Were used to flooring it to get a car going at its max. With the CVT I've learned you can't do that. You have to find the sweet spot and it will really take off once you find it. I don't see autostick making the car any faster. In fact, sometimes its slower. You can't out-think the computer in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well guys I can tell you that my CVT 2.0 Caliber rings in at around 28mpg on the road driving a empty car at around 65-70mph. I averaged 20mpg pulling the mountains over in Wyoming with a 1500lb trailer in tow car loaded to the gills but that was only running 60mph no exceptions and yes the cvt will pull a trailer that heavy with no problems set the cruise and it will walk right up a mountain. 7500mi. round trip Indy to Crescent city, Ca down thru SanFran, Ca and back to Indy. One thing I did not like is on a trip from Chicago to Indy I was tring to get home in a hurry I am pretty sure it ate more fuel than my truck so be careful with speed changes the CVT will make you pay for them in fuel consumption. I run Casterol 5w-20 full sythetic only and keep the tires up around 35psi and never run anything but 87 octane except for out west then it got 85octane

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now that I have had the car for awhile im averaging 26-28 mostly highway doing around 65-70. I also find that flooring this car can be useless at times it just doesn't want to go but if i floor it and let off the gas to drop the RPMs to 4500 or so she takes off like a rocket so i think it is about finding that sweet spot with the CVT :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Now that I have had the car for awhile im averaging 26-28 mostly highway doing around 65-70. I also find that flooring this car can be useless at times it just doesn't want to go but if i floor it and let off the gas to drop the RPMs to 4500 or so she takes off like a rocket so i think it is about finding that sweet spot with the CVT :bigthumb:
When I had the rental SXT, I noticed the same thing. The big complaint I had with that car was that it would go to redline and sit there. Sure that may be peak HP, but it's over the torque band, which is that sweet spot you noticed.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts