Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
FYI if you do send them anything. DO NOT SOUND LIKE SOME ANGRY FAN BOY. Point out the useful features and things that make the car stand out. DO NOT comment on how Jeremy Clarkson is always biased towards British cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are entitled to their opinion on the car. I am not sure why he called it a truck though. I wouldn't call it a truck. In all reality he might have had no interest in the actual car to begin with and decided not to actually do any type of research. No car is pointless. As was pointed out, it has a very nice price, and this means it is affordable to just about anyone. It really all depends on how you view a car. If you think a car is something to have fun in, then yes ofcourse you are going to want some more power. If on the other hand you view driving as simply a way to get from point a to point b then you are going to have a very different outlook on the Caliber.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those guys are a riot...I love their show. They're entitled to their opinions...as stated above, anything not 1) From the UK, or at least 2) From Europe..they tend to be biased against.

One of their points is certainly true...the TV commercials...do have a dubbed sound of an engine that hints at sounding like an 8.....makes the car seem all muscular...til you go to drive it..and realize you were duped.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What the hell?! They squished the pic to make it look all tiny! There are WAY smaller cars than this (Yaris, Fit, any other sub-compact car)... It's not that small, geesh!

But I do think the commercial makes it sound more "muscular" than it really is. But I think Dodge does this with a lot of their cars because I remember my husband complaining about the Magnum and Charger commercials, saying that if those cars really sound like they do on tv, then he would buy one....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Jeremy isn't biased towards any particular car. He really digs Italian and German cars too (he owns a SL Merc and also goes gaga over Ferarris thst are wicked as well). He basically hates pretentious cars that deliver image over car substance. Unfortuately, American cars tend to fall into the mix.

He'll roll the PT Cruiser as a poor-man's Audi TT; and he hates both cars. He's really liked the RX8, he liked the S2000. He's driven all manner of hot hatches.... Focuses, Vauxhall VXR, Golfs, whatever... and those cars all deliver something to the driver other than just a snazzy exterior that wraps a comparatively garbage interior and drivetrain.

He bashed the X3, Volvo S50, and all other gimmick cars before he drove them too. So unless he's actually impressed with the Caliber (if)/when he drives it, he'll continue to give it lip. He thought the 300c would be a crap car too, but he thought it was a pretty good ride at its price point when he tested it... so he's not immune to changing his mind. Watch the full episode (I posted the link in the General Caliber Forum), he's even high on the new Z06's performance aspects; even though he really didn't like the previous Z06 at all.

Unless he's actually impressed with the engineering that goes into making a car a good driver's car, he will not like the car. It's too easy for you to just blame his overall brand hate - but really - it's because some brands consistently underperform and he'll make no concessions about pointing out the garbage that results from that.

Compare the interior quality of a Passat with an equally priced Japanese or Domestic product; it's miles apart... and this is in US Dollars. American and Japanese cars tend to go up in price a bit once they make it to the UK and Europe, and that just makes the quality gap even worse.

Everybody gets their jollies in an Aston; tell me one person that thinks a DB9 is ugly and I'll show you a blind person. He makes fun of Morgan and Rover all the time... it's not brand hate or country hate, it's crappy-car-hate.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Lux782 said:
They are entitled to their opinion on the car. I am not sure why he called it a truck though. I wouldn't call it a truck. In all reality he might have had no interest in the actual car to begin with and decided not to actually do any type of research. No car is pointless. As was pointed out, it has a very nice price, and this means it is affordable to just about anyone. It really all depends on how you view a car. If you think a car is something to have fun in, then yes ofcourse you are going to want some more power. If on the other hand you view driving as simply a way to get from point a to point b then you are going to have a very different outlook on the Caliber.

Probably because the PT Cruiser was classified as a "truck" and they're just assuming that DCX kept up the "faux-SUV" design philosophy in keeping the Caliber in the same line. However, the Caliber is a car in the USA (although the Compass is a SUV) so it has to adhere to the car-restrictions as opposed to the PT Cruiser which snuck by as a Truck. The Chevy HHR copied this sneakyness (and copied lots of other design cues) and is a truck within Chevy's fleet.

The Dodge Magnum is also a truck/SUV here in the USA - but the Charger is not... so it's hard to figure that stuff out for sure. But, the 300 Estate/Touring (it's a 300 with the Magnum body shape) is a truck in Europe. Most Minivans and "people carriers" are also trucks both here and the UK.

·
Registered
57 Posts
His COMMENTS on the Caliber was the only "pointless" thing I saw.

Of what benefit whatsoever was it to show the car, squeezed as it was, and bash it? Especially lisening to holeydonut talk about how he comments on vehicles before he even drives them?

What kind of journalistic integrity is that?

This has nothing to do with the Caliber, and has everything to do with having people watch your show who are more interested in HOW you present your information, or lack thereof, than the quality of the information provided.

He had ZERO facts about the car unless he happened to get the price right, which "I" would doubt if I was basing my thoughts on his presentation.

Hey, I often watch shows that I know are "out there" when it comes to actual facts just because I enjoy / have a laugh at the host(s), but I don't ever use the "facts" provided as a basis for any of my decisions.

Just silly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts