Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hei!

I know that there have been threads and news about this topic. I just wanted to ask that have you heard any news about the orders and capacity of Caliber's production?

I discussed with my dealer in Finland today and he said that if you make our order now, you have to wait until January 2007. Is this problem global or is it just our problem?

Thanks for any information!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HemiDakota said:
Global since it is not out yet for the external US
Do you mean that there is only one productionplant for the Caliber which is located in the USA?

·
Registered
160 Posts
jatael said:
Do you mean that there is only one productionplant for the Caliber which is located in the USA?
As a matter of fact - yes, there is only one plant in Belvidere Illinois.

2 shifts for the Caliber/day, one additional shift for the Jeep Compass and/or Patriot starting these days.

If I remember that right, 150.000 Calibers should leave the plant per year - 'bout 76.000ea built so far....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Actually Jatael, the problem is Daimler/Chrysler, they didn't anticipate the demand. They didn't produce enough before being sent out to dealers. They can't think right, why would you bring out a new model (Compass) on the same assembly line, when you can't make enough of a car that is already selling overly well. And then trying to make it a world car at the same time, it just doesn't make any sense.

And to top that off, they are still trying to gear up for another model to come out on the same assembly line.

And all this from one factory in Belvedere, Illinois. Not the smartest planning has been going on for the Caliber.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ejfb said:
Actually Jatael, the problem is Daimler/Chrysler, they didn't anticipate the demand. They didn't produce enough before being sent out to dealers. They can't think right, why would you bring out a new model (Compass) on the same assembly line, when you can't make enough of a car that is already selling overly well. And then trying to make it a world car at the same time, it just doesn't make any sense.

And to top that off, they are still trying to gear up for another model to come out on the same assembly line.

And all this from one factory in Belvedere, Illinois. Not the smartest planning has been going on for the Caliber.
You are right, that's not very good planning. Fortunately I made my order in time but I'm very sorry for those guys that would like to buy Caliber now. I don't think that they will wait for 6 months to get their Caliber. When the dealer next door can offer you Focus, Golf, Corolla, Mazda 3 etc. in one month. When the news hit the streets that Dodge can't deliver that's going to be bad PR.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't mean to sound like a dick (or being selfish), but this is an American company producing vehicles primarily for American people, so International orders may not be first priority either. Even if you are in the US and ordered a car, you'll be waiting at least 3 months right now it seems. This may also explain why Canadian orders seem to be taking longer as well.

This may or may not be true..... Just throwing out another reason for longer international orders.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wouldn't call it bad planning. Just a matter of being too successful. No one ever plans for that.

The Compass is built on the same frame as the Caliber, so it makes sense to make it all in the same factory to save on tooling costs.

It may be taking longer to ship outside of the US because they might be waiting for a certain number of orders before putting all the cars on one boat.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sleazy said:
...It may be taking longer to ship outside of the US because they might be waiting for a certain number of orders before putting all the cars on one boat.
hmmm, that sounds a LOT more reasonable....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sleazy said:
I wouldn't call it bad planning. Just a matter of being too successful. No one ever plans for that.

The Compass is built on the same frame as the Caliber, so it makes sense to make it all in the same factory to save on tooling costs.

It may be taking longer to ship outside of the US because they might be waiting for a certain number of orders before putting all the cars on one boat.
I'm sure thats true to a certain extent, but they have dealers all over the world waiting on Calibers for stock, not just ordered, so I'm sure they could fill a boat up pretty quick. They just don't have capacity for what they planned to do, so back to bad planning. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok, maybe you're right.

Answer number 2: They're using a reallllllly slow boat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
orangecalibersxt said:
I don't mean to sound like a dick (or being selfish), but this is an American company producing vehicles primarily for American people, so International orders may not be first priority either. Even if you are in the US and ordered a car, you'll be waiting at least 3 months right now it seems. This may also explain why Canadian orders seem to be taking longer as well.

This may or may not be true..... Just throwing out another reason for longer international orders.
I think that Dodge is owned by DaimlerChrysler which is European/American company. And today the markets are global. Dodge designed the Caliber to be the one that gets trough difficult European C-segment market. Mercedes-Benz or Chrysler doesn't have any products in that segment that sells big numbers in Europe. That's why they need Caliber.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i ordered mine 10 days ago... i will have it in another 10 days...

i wanted the sunburst orange 2.0l CRD SXT Sport but that would take half a year. i could have gotten a black one, but that color is out of question after having grey, deepblue and black cars all the time...

so i took the SXT which should be in austria allready (sales started end of june) and only has to get its street-approval.

one week.. i can barely wait that long to kick down that pedal and get my 310Nm diesel-power.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I could´n imagine how lucky I was becous get my Caliber so fast (in 2 weeks). It´s very bad planing to put buyers waiting their cars as long as 3-6 months. I will never wait any car longer than month.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Is the Belevedere Plant big enough to handle 3 models, 4 counting the SRT4? The Brampton, Ontario plant had start-up problems after switching to the rear wheel mode, but now, 2 years later, they seem to be coping. With 3 shifts and overtime they are making all the 300s, Magnums and Chargers sold. The CAW said the there is also capacity for the just announced Challenger. Of course this plant is massive, you could build a small town on the site.

·
Registered
160 Posts
HemiDakota said:
production for external US market will commence in the fall.
Says who - if I may ask? Any references available online?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, maybe DC should look into tooling another plant for this frame... I got mine when I wanted it but just took it off the lot. I mean what percentage of their sales is the caliber? Seems like there are always tons of spare RAM's and other trucks on the lot. hmm?

·
Registered
911 Posts
calibur said:
Well, maybe DC should look into tooling another plant for this frame... I got mine when I wanted it but just took it off the lot. I mean what percentage of their sales is the caliber? Seems like there are always tons of spare RAM's and other trucks on the lot. hmm?
While that is a great idea you also have to factor in the $1 Billion* cost in building another assembly plant. What if they spend that $1 Billion and 1 year to build the plant then after its built, Caliber sales flatten out and another assembly plant isn't needed? Then DCX basically just wasted $1 Billion!

*Was just using $1 Billion as an example figure..who knows what the actual cost will be to build another assembly plant.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts