Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Caliber R/T AWD can't be as bad as this review and subsequent comments state...can it? One of the comments about the review says the acceleration when merging onto a highway is down-right scary.

See the review at this link...
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2108

I just ordered an R/T FWD now I'm concerned....

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
What is wrong with those people musikgate lokes like xxxxx Tangeling in the back ,i could not care less off what they say i love it and the rest of them just go to xxxx.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Cheers thomas

·
Registered
129 Posts
That point of that article seemed to be more about insulting the car rather than giving accurate information. That kind of writing style says more about the author than the subject they're reviewing. In general, I tend to ignore such opinions.

The members of this website will give you better information than that author. We've driven the car a lot longer than one day, and we've praised its good points, griped about the bad points, and offered a lot of solutions to problems.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I found the 2.0 in the SXT i test drove no less peppy than my girlfriend's honda civic hybrid if not more so. Plenty to pass and move about on the highway. People on the board who have put some miles on theirs also say they seem to get quicker. Also from what i understand is you need to adjust your driving style to better take advantage of the CVT.

·
Registered
361 Posts
No problems on the highway here. Passing seems quite good to me.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sleazy said:
That point of that article seemed to be more about insulting the car rather than giving accurate information. That kind of writing style says more about the author than the subject they're reviewing. In general, I tend to ignore such opinions.

The members of this website will give you better information than that author. We've driven the car a lot longer than one day, and we've praised its good points, griped about the bad points, and offered a lot of solutions to problems.
HEAR HEAR,its so funny almost 1200 people on this side drive this car and basicly besides some minor stuff everyone is happy but all its takes is on ad like that and who they believe ???????,trust us ,cheers thomas

·
Registered
371 Posts
I can't speak for the R/T, but my 2.0 SXT has more than enough power when merging, or doing anything else. These reviewers usually hate the Caliber before they even get behind the wheel, and they apparently don't know how to drive a Caliber! You definately gotta figure it out, you can't just stomp on the gas. But once you figure it out, you can really make it go!

And saying that the drop down speakers look like testicles?:eek: I don't know who or what this woman has had sex with, but somethin' aint quite right.
Don't worry- Badly Reviewed!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey baby, wanna play with my testicles?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Its funny how a lot of reviews say the car is basically crap, yet Dodge can't even begin to make them fast enough. How is that? Hmmm....then it must be a good car.

I've had mine for a week tomorrow and I absolutely love it. My 2 liter has more than enough power and is actually pretty peppy if you floor it. I had no issues what so ever getting on the highway yesterday with it.

The MusicGate sounds absolutely stunning! I still can't believe its an upgraded FACTORY radio!!!!! Everywhere I go I get looks and POSITIVE options on it.

To me, its just a joy to drive. Today, I just went for a drive just because I love to drive it so much. I already have 350 miles on it in less than a week.

I just filled it up with gas yesterday and figured out on paper that it got 33 MPG through the whole week in mixed driving. Overall I'm very impressed with my Caliber and its definitely worth the 3 month wait.

I don't pay any attention to reviews because they will make the car out to be what ever they want it. If don't like the car just by looking at it then they will find everything they can put it down. Obviously the public doesn't go off reviews too much as its one of the fastest selling American cars out there right now.

Never buy a vehicle based on what the reviews say. Be your own reviewer and take one out for a test drive. So I wouldn't be concerned at all.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think that was written by one of the R/T owners on my Dakota R/T forum. I'll check and see. If so, I'll talk to her about it. She is a auto journalist in Canada. I don't remember her mentioning writing a reveiw about it though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
mine jumps up pretty good... no complaints for what it is....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
After reading through all the comments at the bottom, it seems that it is indeed the person on my other forum. I will email her and ask her how long she was driving the Caliber, and how many miles were on it. Also realize, she drives a 13 second 1/4 mile modified 5.9L Dakota R/T like mine every day. And no matter how much she might try, every car she drives will be subconsiously compared to her own vehicle. I love to drive my Dakota. Nothing in this world can replace the way I feel in it, and no other vehicle will compare to the way it drives. Even though I love my Caliber as well, it's a totally different reason than why I love my Dakota.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've noticed that the Truth About Cars should be renamed "my preconceived notion about a car that I happend to get to drive recently." They go into a review with a mindset and write a review around a self fullfilling laundry list of words found in a thesaurus and often resort to outright douche baggery. Sometimes, I think they take general sentiment of reviews and then just write what others have said and use more colorful language that actual copyeditors would remove from their reviews. So, they sound very crude in their reviews, which is supposed to lend realisim to a review (it's raw and unedited). However, they take advantage of this way too often and just go about flexing for readers instead of providing something good.

Calling a speaker a set of testicles is one such example of their true inability to offer an auto review that has value. Anyone that uses "sybarites" when describing leather seats would have their writing license revoked... and possibly in China they would be shot in the back alley and labeled a Democrat.

Anyway, this review is messed up... except it comes back to the CVT thing. 10 seconds 0-60 in a AWD "R/T" is just.... well.... too easy to pick on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
holeydonut said:
Anyway, this review is messed up... except it comes back to the CVT thing. 10 seconds 0-60 in a AWD "R/T" is just.... well.... too easy to pick on.
It all depends on your perspective. For the past 11 years, I was driving a 1990 Corolla that had a 0-60 speed of about 16 seconds, so this Caliber is a major step up for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Okay, got a reply from the person who wrote the reveiw. She said it was edited to sound harsher than what her original review was. Waiting on another reply to se what she says about how long she got to drive it, and see what she says about my "review" of my own Caliber and how the CVT tkes getting ued to.

ooops, hehe This is HSKR. Using the wifes laptop and forgot to log her off.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Here is her reply. She usually writes good reveiws and just recently started writing reveiws for this website.

Hi Brian
Well, the testicles comment was added in. Truth About Cars is known for its somewhat scathing reviews - and some of the criticism is factored in when the stories are edited.
I had the car for a week, and mostly found that I used the auto stick 90% of the time. It seemed to get away much faster that way - the delay from the CVT was annoying for me.
I didn't mind the engine's power around town, but found it pretty frustrating getting up to speed on the highway. It's a pretty heavy car for the size of the motor. Of course, it's designed to be an urban car, and not everything is about horsepower anyway. Overall, the utility factor was great, the sound system was kickass (it's in the Magnum, Charger and 300c as well, so I'm familiar with it having driven all those cars). It did a pretty good job for me at the rally, and I drove it for the rest of the week as well.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Another reply from her.

It's actually quite common for editors to change stuff around. It was a little bit harsher than I would have liked it to sound, but overall, I stand behind most of the opinions it stated. I have another review of the car running on Canadian Driver soon, I'll send you the link when it comes out.
Truth About Cars caters to people who love real top quality driving cars, with superb suspension and top notch interiors. They're really picky and blatant in their criticism. That's the style of the site, and the writers - many of whom test drive Aston Martins, Ferraris and AMG stuff. So it is nitpicky.
Me, I love cars, but when writing, have to consider every aspect.
There is nothing really bad about the Caliber, but there was definitely stuff that could be better. I'm a huge Mopar fan, but no car is perfect!!!
If there was no criticism, do you think that companies would work at making cars better, or would the buyer just be stuck with whatever the company wanted to produce?
As you said - the car does everything you need. My MX-3 does everything I need too, and I just love it. However, if I had to review it, I'd have to talk about the harshness, vibration, terrible visibility and electrical gremlins. That's honesty. Does it make me love it any less??? Hell no! Can you imagine having to review our trucks? The brakes, the ball joints, the terrible headlights... LOL!!!
Actually, I am working on an editorial on how our emotions matter a lot more than logic with favourite vehicles. :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
HSKR said:
Another reply from her.
Interesting. I would like that auto-stick thing myself. Maybe I'll get one of those front-wheel-drive R/Ts when they come out (don't want the heavy 4x4).

·
Registered
371 Posts
After reading her replies, I'm almost as confused as she is!?:confused: :eek: :D :mad: :p :confused: She hates the car, well it's ok, she hates the car, it works. Who the hell hired this dimwit to write reviews? And if they want to be nitpicky because they write about Ferraris and Aston Martins, well they shouldn't be writing about Calibers, unless they're willing to see the car for what it is. The new Consumer Reports states that the new Jaguar XK has excellent acceleration. 0 to 60 in 7 seconds, but the Caliber has poor acceleration 0to 60 in 10 sec.(although I have gotten better than that). Now if I'm paying over $80,000 for a car with a 360hp V8, I think I'd get better than 7 seconds, and I damn sure wouldn't think that they'd say it was excellent!

I love my Caliber, I guess you could tell, and I get really pissed when these people write reviews and they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground! They may as well be writing about Hollywood celebrities. And I still say that she doesn't know what testicles look like.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is no way that the R/T takes 10 seconds to go from 0-60. It takes a driver who is smarter than the car to be able to make it perform like it's capable of, and I have yet to see a reviewer who fits this catagory of being smarter than the car. If she was using the Autostick 90% of the time then she must not have realized there was a detent built into the gas pedal that makes the car perform at a completely different level. My AWD R/T is not a slow car, and I doubt there are many other naturally asparated vehicles of similar weight and engine size that can out perform it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts