Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Inside Line, part of edmunds, managed to do a full test of the R/T. Performance specs, how they like it, etc. Here's a quick run down on the important stuff:

0-60: 10.1s
1/4 Mile: 17.7s @ 79.7mph
Braking 60-0: 120 feet
Slalom: 64.2 mph
Skid pad: 0.75g

Here's a link to the full article: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=115318

Those numbers aren't exactly impressive. Pretty pathetic actually. 10.1 to 60? It barely outruns a new beetle. And they have 115 hp! I dunno, you'd really think that Dodge could do better with an R/T badged vehicle. As it sits the only good bit of performance on it is the brakes. And those are limited by the crappy firestones they threw on the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Damn they pretty much ripped our poor caliber's a new a**! :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah, I would say that seems about right. Maybe a little quicker now that we have the 5,000 mile mark on it. They advertised and targeted it correctly in my opinion. DCX never said it was FAST! (yet)

I love the car. I also knew it was not a "performance" car in this respect. I bought it for styling, functionality, gas mileage(better than previous ride), and safety(better air bags and the wife can manuever it better!)

If you bought the current version for fast ET's you misread the marketing. Wait for the SRT. If you bought it for my above points, good for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yea, the only mistake dodge made in marketing the caliber was dubbing a V8 engine track over the real engine noise in the commercials. When I bought the caliber I wasn't expecting a speed demon, but she does perform rather well once you consider the cars in the same category. (keep in mind I spent 18,500CDN on my caliber) EX: I have test driven the following cars again since I bought my caliber:

Mazda 3GT (less comfortable ride, more cluttered interior, gauges harder to read for me, in autostick mode acceleration beats the caliber hands down, in automatic mode accel seemed worse then the caliber, cost 26,800CDN to match my caliber's features)

Toyota Matrix (Far less horsepower, rather sluggish accel compared to caliber, gets blown around like a rag doll on the highway, poor seat placement, gauges again hard to read for me, handles worse through corners with excessive speed, cost 24,900CDN to match caliber's features)

Mitsubishi Lancer: Ralliart (poor interior styling, rattles alot from inside the cabin, slightly more accel then the caliber, feels more loose in the corners, takes bumps rather rough, excessive body roll, easy to read gauges, cost 26,000CDN to match caliber's features)

Honda Civic EX (adequate accel when compared to the caliber, very intuative gauges, ride comfort on par with the caliber, clunky accel at highway speeds, terrible tire squawk when taking corners above limits compared to caliber, blown around like a rag doll at highway speeds, lack of mid rpm torque, cost 25,000CDN to match caliber's features)

Remeber that those were short summaries on the vehicles I had driven, I could go into further detail but that would be two pages long at least lol.

Notice also how all the vehicles averaged around a general cost of 24,000CDN to match the feature set of my caliber that cost 18,500CDN did. After testing all the cars in the segment I found the caliber to offer the most bang for your buck with excellent road behavior and above average comfort while riding when compared to the vehicles listed above. Also the CVT cannot be praised enough when talking about acceleration at speed, a section where I think the caliber is unmatched in the category. A speed demon? definately not, but as a pleasureable drive at thousands less than the competition it's no wonder that they are so back ordered.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Plus we're all aware that the CVT transmission doesn't do well off the line. So the 0-60 is rather pointless; they should show the time from 30-80 perhaps, because that's where the caliber seemss to thrive in accel.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just seems like anything with an R/T badge should still be able to perform. I dunno. I still love the car. Hell I even went to a mazda dealer today to look at the 3's. Got to a point where I could have bought the 3 at invoice, but would have lost on the trade in of the caliber. Had that "Wtf are you doing?!" feeling the whole time I was there. After I turned down their offer and left. I dunno, call it a bonding experience with the Caliber. And a realization that damnit, they're after my money!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm willing to bet that when the new FWD R/T's come out you will see better numbers out of it due to the decreased wieght of the awd system bieng subtracted and the bigger powerplant.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Agreed, especially if/when they offer the manual transmission with the FWD. THAT car would be quite a bit harder to beat off the line.

As for me, since I'm not out to try to drag race anyone with my daily driver, I'm happy with what I will be getting sometime in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
12am said:
I'm willing to bet that when the new FWD R/T's come out you will see better numbers out of it due to the decreased wieght of the awd system bieng subtracted and the bigger powerplant.
Not so much the weight it also the drag the AWD creates too, a combination of both I would say.

I can't wait untill I test drive an R/T FWD, because I am pretty set on that!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I figure once the Hornet hits the road that DCX will put a bigger motor in the R/T (and of course the SRT Caliber will be out then as well).

I'm fine with the performance of the SXT. But yeah, I would be slightly miffed if I bought the R/T and it had those numbers. It's all hype these days anyways... wish it wasn't (marketing and salesmanship have replaced responsibility and stewardship).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts