Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. is it possible to get a key without the buttons, i think i'd rather keep my remote. that one looks to bulky

·
Registered
198 Posts
PANIC sets off the alarm and headlights. I guess if someone attacks you or something, you hit the PANIC button to attract attention.

·
Registered
160 Posts
BethCaliber said:
PANIC sets off the alarm and headlights. I guess if someone attacks you or something, you hit the PANIC button to attract attention.
Since we don't tend to get in panic over here in Germany too often, Dodge obviously decided, that it'll be of no use for us, to have a panic button attached to our keys/remote/whatsoever. :D

They obviously think that Calibers are of no particular use for us either, otherwise they would have sent some more of them across the big pond.....................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Had Them Install a Remote Start Yesterday In My Caliber, The Remote Is UGLY But It does It's JOB!:)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Dodge, please make us a flip key or something smaller! One that fits in a realtor lockbox preferably, that kind of size / thickness.

when my spare comes in, I may "destroy" it to see if can retrofit to another assembly. I really really really need a smaller form factor!

·
Registered
901 Posts
BlueHawaii said:
...when my spare comes in, I may "destroy" it to see if can retrofit to another assembly. I really really really need a smaller form factor!
uhh don't do that!!! The fob also contains a transponder chip for the Sentry Key Immobilizer. If the car does not recognize the chip when the car is started, the engine shuts right back off.

Although, technically, I supposed you could a fob-free key just to unlock the door, then use the regular key to start the car. (wait a minute, I'm feelin' deja vu.... haven't we had this discussion before....?)

·
Registered
357 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
uhh don't do that!!! The fob also contains a transponder chip for the Sentry Key Immobilizer. If the car does not recognize the chip when the car is started, the engine shuts right back off.

Although, technically, I supposed you could a fob-free key just to unlock the door, then use the regular key to start the car. (wait a minute, I'm feelin' deja vu.... haven't we had this discussion before....?)
part A, understood. what I want to do is merge the guts if possible to make a flip key? or even if made the key tang and alarm portion 2 parts, that would work, as long as it all fit in the lockbox (and I could still use it on the door / ign switch as normal).

part B, thought about leaving the key in the car and using a copy just to open the door with, but if someone broke in the car... just as bad as using one of those magnetic stick on storage boxes. might as well leave the key in the ignition :p

best if carry the key with me, but whatever solution MUST be watertight. I'll go to a dive shop and see what they got that's smallish?

the best laid plans of mice and men... doh!

·
Registered
182 Posts
BlueHawaii said:
all I need to do is remove the key tang and weld on a tab to make it usable? separately it would fit! or leave the fob behind and take the key part with me, just like my house key.

How does this transponder thing work? I see nothing that makes contact with the metal portion of the key! The metal portion of the key has nothing inside ie: a chip in the actual silver metal. So....how does it work?
Thanks in advance if anyone knows!

·
Registered
901 Posts
umf said:
How does this transponder thing work? I see nothing that makes contact with the metal portion of the key! The metal portion of the key has nothing inside ie: a chip in the actual silver metal. So....how does it work?
Thanks in advance if anyone knows!
A transponder is like a transmitter. (It's one of the items on the green printed circuit assembly in the photo.) There is a receiver portion somewhere else under the hood that it communicates with via some sort of radio frequency.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This Is Also A Duplicate Thread

·
Registered
182 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
A transponder is like a transmitter. (It's one of the items on the green printed circuit assembly in the photo.) There is a receiver portion somewhere else under the hood that it communicates with via some sort of radio frequency.
Forgive my ignorance here...but.....
So if i have a copied key....and the original in the glove box....or hidden somewheres in the dash.....i could use the copied key??? I was just wondering .....ex) if i go to the lake swimming, i won't have the electronic key in my trunks, or sitting on my towel on the beach :)!
Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
umf said:
Forgive my ignorance here...but.....
So if i have a copied key....and the original in the glove box....or hidden somewheres in the dash.....i could use the copied key??? I was just wondering .....ex) if i go to the lake swimming, i won't have the electronic key in my trunks, or sitting on my towel on the beach :)!
Thanks!
The wireless transponder response is correct however the reciever is actually located in the ring around the key cylinder. Therefore if the original key was in the glove box, the non-transponder key would not start the car.

If you held the original key directly next to the key cylinder while starting the car with your copied key and hold it there after for a few more seconds after the engine turns over, the non-transponder key should start the car (of course next time you try the copied key only it won't work).

Important Note: Be careful trying to start it with the non-transponder key, after about 3-5 (I think it's 3) non successful starts in a row the PCM may lockout as a security precaution and you may not be able to start your car at all with any keys. You will then have to have to towed to a dealer to reset the security system.

·
Registered
182 Posts
tkyoshi said:
The wireless transponder response is correct however the reciever is actually located in the ring around the key cylinder. Therefore if the original key was in the glove box, the non-transponder key would not start the car.

If you held the original key directly next to the key cylinder while starting the car with your copied key and hold it there after for a few more seconds after the engine turns over, the non-transponder key should start the car (of course next time you try the copied key only it won't work).

Important Note: Be careful trying to start it with the non-transponder key, after about 3-5 (I think it's 3) non successful starts in a row the PCM may lockout as a security precaution and you may not be able to start your car at all with any keys. You will then have to have to towed to a dealer to reset the security system.
Thanks dude! Kept me from making a BIG mistake! Clears a lot up!
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts