Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody wants to join this club, but if your a member shout it out LOUD & PROUD!

Go ahead and post details on how you received your membership. :)

I'll start....

I left home (3rd shift - night time) with enough time to hand spray down the Caliber at a local car wash before work. After washing, I left town to blow dry doing well over 55mph but under the tires speed rating of 118mph. Now you know how he knew I was speeding when he seen me drive/fly by! It seems the mistake I made, other than speeding, was slowing down too soon not knowing about the state police officer. Only after giving me a ticket did he give me some interesting information....it seems the state police officer was parked when he seen me, didn't get me on radar and was not even in his car at the time I drove by him. My problem was I drove by him too fast to see him and he was smart enough to not turn his lights on until he caught up to me after I slowed down. When asked how fast I was going I told him, "It goes over 55 sir" :cool: I might be able to fight the ticket, but I'm at fault and after how many times I've got away with it since I got the car I'll just pay it. The officer gave me a ticket under 21mph over the posted speed limit so I can still get court supervision minus some $MONEY$ and time.

·
Registered
775 Posts
No speeding tickets. . .yet. I did, however, find the speed limiter. It's set for 120MPH, just in case anyone was wondering.

I also can't figure out why my gas mileage is so bad. :p

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
...When asked how fast I was going I told him, "It goes over 55 sir" :cool: I might be able to fight the ticket, but I'm at fault and after how many times I've got away with it since I got the car I'll just pay it. The officer gave me a ticket under 21mph over the posted speed limit so I can still get court supervision minus some $MONEY$ and time.
A lot depends on the laws in your particular jurisdiction, and which law he actually cited as the statute/ordinance in violation.

Most laws for actually/specifically "speeding" - where an actual traveling speed is cited versus a declared legal speed limit - require an official, certified, and currently-calibrated electronic/electrical/mechanical speed-timing device be used to determine your speed.

A STATEMENT that you made is generally and usually not acceptable for being cited for SPECIFIC ("X" MPH in a posted "Y" MPH zone) SPEEDING violation. In addition, your VERBAL response, like a confession, is usually and generally considered to be an "admission" - which can be recanted. Any officer who relies on ONLY an admission - without corroborating evidence (such as a speed-timing device reading/recording) is either a fool or just plain depending on citing folks who either won't contest the citation and/or don't know better.

However, there ARE what are known as "discretionary" speeding laws. As opposed to the SPECIFIC laws that require an actual traveled speed in a posted-limit zone be specified, "discretionary" laws are ones that depend on the officer's evaluation, judgment, and determination to how your traveled speed was in relation to prevailing CONDITIONS. Most of these laws and violations are specifically worded in that manner - such as "Driving Too Fast For Conditions"; they don't require an actual recorded travel speed, just that a person was driving at a speed that could endanger himself/herself and/or others.

Which did the officer cite you for - a SPECIFIC speed violation ("X" MPH in a posted "Y" MPH zone) based on JUST your response/stated speed, or a DISCRETIONARY speed violation?

If it's a SPECIFIC violation: I'll make an educated guess that the cited law, as written and guided by precedent over time, requires more proof to establish your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt in any court than just your verbal response - PLUS you can recant THAT and leave the citing officer with just about NO case at all to contend and present against you for that charge.

I will state that this is just GENERAL (but commonly-applicable) information, and can vary with the actual cited law, legal procedures in your jurisdiction, additional circumstances of this event, etc.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Most states that I've heard of, the officer can right you a speeding ticket based solely on his personal opinion of how fast he thought you were driving. They go through specific training to help determine speed by just visual observations. No timing "device" requied. Usually they can see how fast you are going compared to surrounding traffic, or they know that if going the speed limit it should take approximately so many seconds to go from one spot to another on the road. Also, if the situation is as union guy stated that officer paced him in his patrol car then that is a "calibrated timing device" and will hold up in court.

·
Registered
644 Posts
got one a month or so ago.43 in a 35. BS ticket i got 50 feet before i got to the desert, was taking my brother to the paintball coarse. got it from NHP, but was 5+ miles away from the closest freeway go figure. he musta just logged on to go to work or something.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Got my first ticket in sept while driving to my vacation spot.. was driving a 2 lane highway with a posted speed limit of 90km/h just outside of golden bc. The guy ahead of me was doing 70km/h and I was sick of bieng stuck behind the guy so I lit it up and passed him.. no sooner did I pass him but a rcmp came up the other side of the highway.. and spun around to chase me down.. got a ticket for doing 119km/h in a 90 zone and was 1km away from hitting the 30km over mark where they jump the fines up bigtime.. price for the ticket was only $137.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just got my first ticket also. i was doing 100 in a 65. i live in a small town and i know all the cops and he was nice enough to lower the speed to 94 so i would not get the real big fines for going 30 over

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just got my first ticket also. i was doing 100 in a 65. i live in a small town and i know all the cops and he was nice enough to lower the speed to 94 so i would not get the real big fines for going 30 over

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Works down there too, EH? ;) The last time a copper got a speeding ticket in Ontario was when they had photo radar 12 years ago. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
No tickets in it yet but we'll see, and when we get back to the states we'll be in trouble, I can litterally top it out any time I want:) I'm going to miss that:(

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got my first ticket in 15yrs of driving 2 weeks ago...it's not my first pullover...but that's another 5 or 6 stories. It was pissing rain as it will in Vancouver and I was on my way to work when i got a call from my restaurant that the kitchen was flooded! I stepped on it and as i was passing traffic, an oncoming car started high-beaming me. I knew it must be a speed trap ahead so i started looking up the road to see where it was. i was looking WAY TOO FAR ahead. He was 50meters ahead and already in the middle of the road pointing and waving as they do! Now this is where it gets good! I was on the phone at the time with a plumbing company and as i pull over the cop walks up to my window and i'm trying to get the chick on the phone to wrap it up. I give the cop the "just a minute" finger and he's listening in on the call(U-connect). I hang up w/ her and the cop says i was doing 85 in a 50. I explain that i know i was speeding and that my restaurant was under 4" of water and if he could just write the ticket ASAP, i would be on my way. He comes back and says, "I understand your situation...i don't wanna write this ticket, but while i'm standing here soaking wet, my supervisor is in my car drinking coffe and doing the crossword! I want you to dispute it, so when you go to court...IF i show up, it'll get thrown out" He was the coolest cop ever! I disputed, he showed, saw me and gave me the nod and said he had no evidence! NO TICKET! YEAH!
SCORE ME-1 THE FUZZ-0

·
Registered
721 Posts
That was a really nice cop! I got pulled over for 52 MPH in a 30 a few months ago. First time ever being pulled over or anything, and didn't even get a talk of a warning. this 30 is on a 4 lane you can see forever on. In comparison, the town I'm normally in during the week (Tuscaloosa) would have had the speed limit set at least 50, probably 55 or so. You see how it goes. Anyway, the ticket itself was $90.00. The fees the wonderful town of Columbus Misssissippi tacked onto it jacked it up to a wonderful $200! So, their paperwork fees were more than it, tell me something is not wrong here! I paid it since MB is such a stickler about being at work unless its an emergency, but I do all business elsewhere, other than Columbus now. It ruined my day, and ruins it now just thinking about it. I'd like to think a 2.0L 150 HP CVT would cure my problems, but I doubt it, since I can get a ticket with my 120 HP 5 speed 0-60 in eternity Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
Instant Ticket!

Plus I will take a very long time to write it out.
I agree; if I was still a patol officer but in the "nowadays" of cell phones, I'd be the same way.

I was a police training officer for several years. I was taught by the "old-school" guys. An almost universal comment and directive was "If someone makes you have to do a traffic stop in the rain, extreme cold or heat, etc - you are NOT giving them anything less than a citation. With a long period of writing it in the comfort of your patrol car."

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'll add that i didn't expect to get out of a ticket. I WAS SPEEDING...he knew it, i knew it...no argument. It's not like i made the guy stand there for 5 mins. while i chit-chat w/ my wife on the phone. He only had to hear, "we'll dipatch somebody right away...good bye" so it was only 2-3 seconds. But like i say, he was way beyond cool. Too cool to be a cop, that's fer sure! I even gave him a couple gift certificates to my restaurant after we left the courthouse! He didn't want to take em but i said, "you've already perjured yourself in court...what's accepting a little bribe?" LOL

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Harley - Thanks so much for your reply. After reading your reply I don't think but now I know I could get the ticket threw out. Although, much like High-Calibur Driver's cop.... the state police officer (K-9 Unit) was so nice to me I will not fight it. After finding out I was on my way to work and what time I started he wrote the ticket out fast to allow me to puch in at work right on time. :cool:

·
Registered
775 Posts
bahndrvr said:
No tickets in it yet but we'll see, and when we get back to the states we'll be in trouble, I can litterally top it out any time I want:) I'm going to miss that:(
I hear you on that one. I've been living in Europe since '98 (Germany since '00) and am not scheduled to leave until '08. Re-learning to drive in the States is going to be a challenge. When you cruise 100+ MPH on you daily commute without even thinking about it, dropping down to 55-65 MPH isn't going to be easy. Yesterday I was in the passenger's seat while the wife was driving, the speed she was going felt painfully slow to me so I glance over and notice she's driving 70-75MPH. I never thought 75MPH would feel so slow to me.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Busted! I wonder how much this one's going to be :(

At least the car was clean and looks good :D I should've had the middle finger in the air, the ticket says red for .8 seconds, fudge!!!!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts