Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola fellow forumers, I currently own a 2008 SRT-4 that I would really like to swap over to AWD. And yes, I have read other threads and I know that the stock transfer and tranny on the AWD R/T cannot handle the torque of the Warhawk from the SRT-4 but what I was wondering was, would using a the tranny setup from an Evo IX (MR trim, of course, to keep it 6-speed) or an Evo X work while using the differential from an AWD R/T? Just curious cause I love AWD cars.
-Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
The issue I would see is...how would the AWD be controlled? There has to be some kind of electronics for the system and its not going to be in the SRT-4 computer. And, its not going to be as easy as well I'll just put the EVO computer in it, because then you've screwed up everything else in the car. I just don't see it happening plain and simple. If you want an AWD car then buy an AWD car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But the R/T AWD has a separate computer to control its AWD system. Why couldn't I just use that one?
Or use an Avenger R/T transmission? Or since the SRT-4's transmission is made by Getrag, buy an AWD tranny (F28/6) with the Cali. R/T differential with the R/T comp? Or, if you're feeling even more daring, buy a programmable comp. to make the AWD not a complete waste like it was on the R/T. There are many possibilities to "screw up" the car and some of them would be very easy and pretty cheap, considering everything that needs to be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or use an Avenger R/T transmission? Or since the SRT-4's transmission is made by Getrag, buy an AWD tranny (F28/6) with the Cali. R/T differential with the R/T comp? Or, if you're feeling even more daring, buy a programmable comp. to make the AWD not a complete waste like it was on the R/T. There are many possibilities to "screw up" the car and some of them would be very easy and pretty cheap, considering everything that needs to be done.
And you do realize that the Evo X and Cali. SRT-4 share the same platform so using the tranny from the Evo X is very doable. And the use of the Evo X AWD system would make everything that much better and easier and means that the entire car could hold even more power.

·
Registered
971 Posts
If it were that easy then it would have been done by now. This isn't the first time this question was asked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or the fact that the Cali SRT-4 only has been out for 3 years and no one has really experimented with it. Someone out there could be building an army of AWD Cali SRT-4s for all you know. "Never been done" is kind of limiting. You know what they say, never say never.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Or the fact that the Cali SRT-4 only has been out for 3 years and no one has really experimented with it. Someone out there could be building an army of AWD Cali SRT-4s for all you know. "Never been done" is kind of limiting. You know what they say, never say never.
Yeah... just forget about the CanBus Systems being different... and the SKIM/ TIP Modules having to communicate with the Instrument Clusters.

You're not going to be able to mix electronic components.

The R/T AWD System in the Caliber is a piece of junk. If I remember correctly the max power ever transfered to the rear wheels would be 20% power.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Just sell your srt and get an used evo or sti... as it'll be cheaper and better lol...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Like I said before...its not as easy as you think. The two cars aren't as similar as you think. In fact for the most part they're completely different. If it were similar enough I'm willing to bet the farm Chrysler would have looked into this for the Caliber SRT instead of saying they'd have to develop an entire new AWD system for the SRT (this was the reason stated by the SRT team as to why there is no AWD Caliber SRT-4).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts