Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 19 and in the military and am ready to buy my first new car. Even though my friends all say i should buy an evo, sti, 350z, or is300, i like chrysler vehicles. i have decided its going to be an srt-4 or a srt8. the caliber srt-4 test mule that i saw kind of looked cool, not to mention that it has a six speed manual and 300 hp of tire torturing power. but, its fwd, a wagon, and i hear it doesn't handle very well.

The srt-8 i am looking at is a used 06 model red with a sunroof. i love those cars but it is 32000 dollars, gets bad gas, and weighs more than some trucks.

i have the resources to get either but i am not sure whether to go with a luxery car or a mini bus? which would u do?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Personally, I'd get the Caiber. Only because I don't fit well in the Charger. There is no head room in the rear seat for me, and if I'm going to buy a car and spend $30K+ on it, it's going to be a vehicle that I can make full use of without having to sacrafice anything for, including rear seat headroom. If I had my choice of any of the SRT line of vehicles to buy, I'd get the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee. You want to talk about luxury and performance all rolled into one. AWD and the same horsepower as the Charger. Very few cars would be able to beat one of those on the street. Plus it has plenty of room for hauling friends, family, and gear.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well i'd check insurance on both, but seeing as the caliber srt4 isn't out yet you'll have to wait a while on that one. Before you even have to worry about that, I am not sure how you are even comparing a FWD to RWD, 4cyl turbo to 8cyl na, automatic to a stick, wagon to a sedan separated by over 1000lbs and corresponding degrogation in Mpg.?

truely and apples and oranges comparo if you ask me....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
Well i'd check insurance on both, but seeing as the caliber srt4 isn't out yet you'll have to wait a while on that one. Before you even have to worry about that, I am not sure how you are even comparing a FWD to RWD, 4cyl turbo to 8cyl na, automatic to a stick, wagon to a sedan separated by over 1000lbs and corresponding degrogation in Mpg.?

truely and apples and oranges comparo if you ask me....

I'm in the same boat caliber srt-4 vs. Magnum SRT-8 or maybe a G35 sedan and put on a blower. I cant frigging make up my mind. I'm leaning towrds the maggie but the fuel and insurance costs have me worried.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same here. a pratical econobox or a high class money drain? either would probably give boner inducing high speed thrills

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
i_want_vtec said:
same here. a pratical econobox or a high class money drain? either would probably give boner inducing high speed thrills
exactly who i want driving on the same roads... a 19 year old driving a 300hp+ sports car getting a boner off of speed thrills. do you have a will?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
exactly who i want driving on the same roads... a 19 year old driving a 300hp+ sports car getting a boner off of speed thrills. do you have a will?
Without ripping the scab off of a freshly healed age vs. hp debate... i'll I have to say is this;

You're 19... personally, I think it would be foolish to buy the SRT8 since it is so much more expensive, especially with insurance and gas (and again, at your age, insurance will be even MORE ridiculously high).

At 19 years of age you need to think more about your future... what happens in a few years when you decide you want to start a life, get married, buy a house, have kids.... What about schooling? Do you have an education yet? (I dont know you so I don't know exactly where you're at on these topics, but still...) A Charger SRT8 + added expenses to keep the thing is a larger achor around your ankle than you may think.

I think you should stick with the Caliber as it is more befitting to your age group (i.e. people that aren't in their 50's/60's, retiring and loaded with money :D ).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the military is paying for my school. its true the charger will be quite the anchor but god there sexy and have a 6.1 hemimmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Being active duty with 11.5 years in I will tell you this. Don't get in over your head on your first vehicle purchase just becuause you have a steady paycheck. You'll soon realize that those high insurance and car payments won't leave much left to do other things. I've seen more than my share of new guys go out and buy big fancy cars only to have to sell them not long after because they realized that they got in over thier heads and couldn't do all the things they wanted to anymore.

·
Registered
687 Posts
...lets not forget when your in service, like my brother, there is often lots of time when you get sent out and can't drive anyway. There is nothing like paying for something you can't drive, what a sick feeling that is. :mad:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
...lets not forget when your in service, like my brother, there is often lots of time when you get sent out and can't drive anyway. There is nothing like paying for something you can't drive, what a sick feeling that is. :mad:
But thre is an upside to that as well. Since usually when you are gone like that you aren't spending much money anyways, you can put more of your paycheck towards the vehicle loan and get it paid of early.

·
Registered
38 Posts
FWD with 300 cv ?? You should choose the caliber only if they will sell the AWD model, you can manage all that power on front wheels only with the limitation of traction control that's equal to say that all the horse power is useless if not on a straight and long road. If you don't use the traction control the steering wheel become very light when you try a burning start and you have to grasp it very strongly with both hands, without saying that the car will be basically understeering and less fun. If you really really want to buy a so powerful car at your age I strongly suggest the Mistubishi Evo , you can control that car and drift with only one finger on the steering wheel, or maybe an Impreza.
. But... Are you really sure that the SRT-4 will be FWD only ? It sounds like a nonsense and a big disappointment for me :( (sorry for my bad english)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Tormentor said:
FWD with 300 cv ?? You should choose the caliber only if they will sell the AWD model, you can manage all that power on front wheels only with the limitation of traction control that's equal to say that all the horse power is useless if not on a straight and long road. If you don't use the traction control the steering wheel become very light when you try a burning start and you have to grasp it very strongly with both hands, without saying that the car will be basically understeering and less fun. If you really really want to buy a so powerful car at your age I strongly suggest the Mistubishi Evo , you can control that car and drift with only one finger on the steering wheel, or maybe an Impreza.
. But... Are you really sure that the SRT-4 will be FWD only ? It sounds like a nonsense and a big disappointment for me :( (sorry for my bad english)
It has been said many many times the SRT4 will be FWD only. AWD would cost WAY too much and it is obvious Dodge does not want to drive price up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It reminds me what I saw on the "Top Gear" test of the Vauxhall Vectra VXR, turbo and FWD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVfF_dGyimU

You'll go very fast on straight roads but at the first corner you'll be overtaken by the first 4wd jap car. I would prefer to spend some money in tuning the 2.4 R/T AWD OR a 4WD kit for the srt-4.
Anyway I want to watch some serious test drives on that car before judging it so this is only my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Need a SRT with AWD, try this.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Tormentor said:
It reminds me what I saw on the "Top Gear" test of the Vauxhall Vectra VXR, turbo and FWD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVfF_dGyimU

You'll go very fast on straight roads but at the first corner you'll be overtaken by the first 4wd jap car. I would prefer to spend some money in tuning the 2.4 R/T AWD OR a 4WD kit for the srt-4.
Anyway I want to watch some serious test drives on that car before judging it so this is only my personal opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVJePPjxX2E watch this little peugot in this video before everyone starts beating on fwd as a poor handling platform

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
As I said I want to see a serious test drive on the SRT 4 before fixing my opinion, maybe in the next top gear season Jeremy Clarkson or the Stig will try it, until that I still think that 300 CV don't fit well on a FWD and I hope that in the future they will sell an AWD model.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts