Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys and Gals. I'm hopefully going to be starting my project build this weekend and figured I'd take some pictures along the way. I'm going to start construction of the fiberglass sub box first then as money allows, start ordering equipment and travel on with the progress. I'll probably be disassembling a good amount of my interior, so if anyone has any questions or requests for pictures, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Vitals:
2007 Dodge Caliber SXT, White
Bone stock stereo
2.0 w/CVT
Sport package w/blue accented interior

The goals for this project will be:
1)Accurately reproduced sound.
2)A clean, attractive looking install
3)Correct forward Imaging and Staging of the mids/highs with the capability of "up-front" bass.
4)A substage that can blend easily OR rattle the windows if so wished.

Now, on to the equipment.

I'm not sure what I'll be using for a HU(Head Unit / cd player) as of yet. I've got my eyes on some Eclipse, Pioneer Premier, and Panasonic units for now. More on that later.

All equipment behind the HU is going to be Elemental Designs. Originally, I wanted to do a single 18" sub but after re-evaluating my thoughts, I found that a single 12" is going to be plenty and will still retain a bit of space. I've chosen the 13Ov.2 D2 from Elemental Designs as my substage driver. The enclosure will be partly fiberglass and partly MDF. It'll be in the vicinity of 1cuft internal volume. The mounting ring should be here tomorrow so hopefully I"ll get to some fiberglassing this weekend.

The sub amp will be the Nine.2x from Elemental Designs. With the D2 voice coil config of the 13Ov.2, this amp will be able to push 600watts or more into it.

Front Components are undecided at this point because I'm waiting on release of the Elemental Designs eD(i)6000s v.2's. If I end up not getting those, I'll be getting the eD(i)6500s. Both are a 6.5" component system with a 1" tweeter. Depending on how the fiberglass works out, I may fiberglass some pods into the doors to house the 6.5" mids, otherwise, I'll make an MDF baffle to house the 6.5" in the 6x9 spot. The tweeters will most likely be going onto the dash in some fashion or another. The rear speakers will not be used at all. The stocks will be disconnected and left there.

The amp for the Components will be the Elemental Designs Nine.2. This amp will push around 100-130 watts per side into the components (whichever ones I choose).

Both amps will be mounted on opposite sides of the sub box also on fiberglass pods/racks.

Wiring will be 4ga. coming out of the battery ran back into a dist. block and 8ga. ran to the amps. Grounds will be 8ga. straight to the chassis. A BIG3 upgrade is in the works for this install as well. That will be 4ga. upgrades. RCAs will come from Knukonceptz.com. Want to have strong signal carriers!!

I'll be throwing in some Sound deadening mat from Elemental Designs as well. This stuff will probably only go into the front doors depending on what I feel like at the time.

I think that pretty well sums it up. If you guys have any aftermarket stereo questions, don't be skeered to shoot me a PM. I've read, learned, and applied a LOT about stereo's. I also really enjoy helping people with their stereo setups. On the contrary, if anyone has some advice for me, I'll listen.

edit: if anyone is interested in Elemental Designs equipment, visit their new website at www.edesignaudio.com

Ben

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dang.... 55 views and not a single "Good luck" or "Can't wait to see the finished product" or "hey, I have a question about...."

this saddens me... Oh well.. I suppose the forum will grow in due time...:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks man... Actually, I've been looking for an Eclipse 8443 with the pro mode instead of the newer 8445 with the advanced mode... a little difficult to find one that's BNIB seeing as they're 2 or 3 yrs old now...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I won a Kenwood MP7028 on ebay which is an OK CD player... I don't think I"ll use it but I got a good price on it and can't complain. May just end up selling it if I can find a 8443 new or used at a good price...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, after a hefty night at the stripclub on Saturday and the rain we got Sunday, I didn't get anywhere with the box building. I"m gonna try to get all my tools and whatnot over to my Brothers house to use his garage...

·
Registered
644 Posts
sounds pretty good... im with bulldog on the eclipse Hu's. theyre real nice. get some pics up so we can see this build :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well then, finally got somewhere on the box build. this is my first time fiberglassing/building for fiberglass so it was an interesting experience. Here's the pictures. I still have to add fiberglass mat to the inside for strength.

started out making a graph to make curved sides.

Then I cut them out and clamped them together for sanding.

After that, I enjoyed a real Black&Tan!

Then I started the assembly

Here's my stretchy fabric for covering. Polyester. $1/yd at Wal-Mart

Here it is all stretched/covered... that was a bitch!

and finally, after wetting it with resin, you have this

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Thats comming out very nice. Did you calculate displacement to tune your sub?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did an approximate calculation.. It's going to come out right around 1ft^3.... If it's over 1ft^3, I"ll put in some pieces of 2x4 of correct volume to displace some of the airspace. If it's under 1ft^3 (doubtful) I"ll add in some polyfill.

I'd have to say the hardest part thus far has been stretching the fabric!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
btw: I'll check volume by filling it with packing peanuts and then measuring out the peanuts into a 12x12x12 box

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Bulldogger said:
I'm sure he took in to account the displacement of the driver he's using. You don't tune subs, but rather the enclosure. It's a sealed enclosure.
of course you don't tune the sub itself. When I speak I use common dialect. Doesn't always have the literal meaning.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
even at that, you don't really tune a sealed enclosure. Sure the amount of volume will affect the response and handling of the sub, but only very vaguely (only very slightly audible). I'm not ragging on ya Fingernipp, just making sure everyone's on the same page... there are A LOT of people on the net and I like to be thorough on explanations so someone doesn't take something the wrong way...:cool:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
yeah wont make a massive difference but i was curious if you took that into account when you designed it. I was actually just going to ask how you calculated the volume. I am planning to build a box for my lincoln that will involve some serious curves and angles and want to shoot for a specific volume although it will be ported.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just calculated what the volume would be with my dimentions of LxWxH if the enclosure was rectangle and estimated from there. Once it's all done, I'll measure with the packing peanuts to determine if I have to add any volume displacing material or polyfill.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts