Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had I been able to find a Caliber on a dealers lot a few months ago, I probably would have bought one. But the long wait and the crappy dealers attitude has really turned me off and has driven me away from both this vehicle and this company. I most-likely will no longer buy this car or any other Dodge/Chrysler product. I have never bought a Dodge/Chrysler product before, but after seeing the Caliber on the web, I was really interested. It is a nice looking car and it seemed to have nice features and was reasonably priced but I guees that if dealers are selling a popular car, they must think it is OK to treat the cutomer like $h!t and jack up the prices.

Well good luck DC. When people get over that new-car-model tunnel vision, and see that the Caliber is just another, at-best, average Dodge car with the historial above-average Dodge mechanical problems, then they will steer away from the Caliber too. Then there will be plenty of Calibers on the dealers lots to choose from, and I'll bet they will not be able to swindle the average consumer with those ridiculous "premium" pricing add-ons to the MSRP sticker.

·
Registered
269 Posts
yeah, I posted a while back that I was afraid stuff like this would happen. While I think it's still mostly a rarity for a dealership to be overtly rude towards customers interested in the Caliber, the problem is that dealerships flying the Dodge banner / 5-star-whatever aren't owned by DCX. There is no way that Chrysler can force a dealer to do anything so long as the dealer behaves within the rules of their supplier/retailer relationship.

If a dealer wants to only sell cars with expensive pin striping, tinted windows, paint protection, whatever and annoy customers... that dealership can do so without penalty from Chrysler. The indirect penalty is supposed to be incurred when the dealership loses a sale... but I guess a short sighted dealer may be myopic given that the Caliber is in such high demand. Short-sighted behavior will ruin companies over time. While most dealerships definetely don't blatantly scandalize customers when a car is in high demand, I know for sure that Chrysler wants very much that dealers didn't go crazy now that they have a car that the public is interested in.

But really, most customers who see a Dodge banner on a store will automatically associate the behavior of those representatives in that store to be agents of Dodge products and thus DaimlerChrysler. The same holds true when people walk into a Verizon Store, an Apple Store, a Comcast Cable store, etc. Yeah the corporation can throw up the "well, those retail places are independently owned and operated" excuse. But in my opinion, this just means that DCX needs to find a way to create a motive for dealers to not treat people like this; because it's bound to happen when a dealer finally gets its hands on a hot ticket car.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ronbo said:
Had I been able to find a Caliber on a dealers lot a few months ago, I probably would have bought one. But the long wait and the crappy dealers attitude has really turned me off and has driven me away from both this vehicle and this company. I most-likely will no longer buy this car or any other Dodge/Chrysler product. I have never bought a Dodge/Chrysler product before, but after seeing the Caliber on the web, I was really interested. It is a nice looking car and it seemed to have nice features and was reasonably priced but I guees that if dealers are selling a popular car, they must think it is OK to treat the cutomer like $h!t and jack up the prices.

Well good luck DC. When people get over that new-car-model tunnel vision, and see that the Caliber is just another, at-best, average Dodge car with the historial above-average Dodge mechanical problems, then they will steer away from the Caliber too. Then there will be plenty of Calibers on the dealers lots to choose from, and I'll bet they will not be able to swindle the average consumer with those ridiculous "premium" pricing add-ons to the MSRP sticker.

Yeah I hear ya... but according to some people on this forum, the hugely long wait isn't a major issue....

Yes, its BS for a dealer to sell the car over the MSRP, however, its a very hot seller and they can do that if they choose to keep a constant stock of Calibers on the lot. I myself would never pay over MSRP for any vehicle no matter how hot it is.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That sounds like frustration talking. I certainly wouldn't take one bad experience at one dealer and consider that the status quo for the entire brand. If that were the case, I would never eat out, buy anything, or drive any vehicle. Bad experiences happen. The best you can do is move onto the next dealer. If you don't want to buy a Caliber, fine. But you can't blame DC for one bad dealer, just like you can't blame the McDonald's corporation for one employee's bad service.

In saying that, I have also had less than satisfactory service at most auto dealers that I have been with.. it's the nature of the business, sadly. Fortunately the Dodge dealer I ordered mine from prides themselves on no-hassle and excellent service. Maybe someday the old-school car dealer attitude will be gone completely...maybe...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sounds like you have some ****ty dealers in your area. Either that, or you don't have much experience in buying new vehicles. Yes the Calibers are a hot item, but I haven't seen any dealers in the San Diego area that have jacked the prices of them because they can like some do with the Viper and like some did with the PT Cruiser when it was first released. Not saying dealers aren't doing that, just that I haven't seen it first hand. As for the "quality" of Dodge. My Caliber is the third Dodge that I have bought in the last 8 years. I can't say I have had any major problems with any of them. In that same time I have had two Fords that had major problems, one of which I just got rid of that was not running due to electrical problems. Sure there have been people who have had problems with thier Dodge vehicles, but the same hold true for every manufacturer out there. People still think of Dodge as a POS vehicle due to the tranished image from the late 70's and 80's when they did have bad quality on thier vehicles. I have been more than happy with all my Dodge vehicles and the service I got from the dealers I had to deal with. On my Dakota R/T, the dealer I went to didn't even care that I had performance mods done when i tok it in for warranty work. In fact, they always looked forward to me coming so they coudl see what else I had done.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Mini, VM bug, Smart Car, or whatever, all buzz models regardless of the make are going to be hard to get at launch. Honda/BMW's option lists can almost equal the value of the base car, so i wouldn't complain to much about options... they are just that, options... if you don't want them, don't get them.

Just because you have to wait for one, makes no sense to start dogging on previous DCX vehicle quality... good luck with your purchase whatever it may be

·
Registered
683 Posts
Not sure why people often have trouble with a dealer and associate that with a brand. There are horrible Dodge, Ford, GM etc. dealers. Has little to do with a particular vehicle or brand. Its just that dealer is bad.

I disagree that the Caliber has above average mechanical problems. In the first 8 months of production there are no major problems with the Caliber. Only very minor issues that are easily resolved.

Worst car I ever owned was a 1989 Firebird. Dang thing went through 5 rear main seals in 50,000 miles. Then theres the famous Chevy/GM piston slap problem that was largely ignored. I've now owned 4 Dodges in the past 5 years. No major problems and the minor ones I've had have all been quickly resolved. I'll stick with Dodge.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well i dunno i see some on lots, but when i look closer at them, some are SEs, which are too crappy to buy anyways, or sxts, with some ugly interior, and no options. If im going to buy a car i buy exactly what i want, so cuz of that i had to wait 12 weeks. But i dont know about the dealer pricing or what the average cost is. My cousin is a dodge dealer so i got the caliber at invoice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm beyond frustrasted with the waiting time. I ordered May 23, and I have 0 information. As far as I know my car is OK to be schedualed. My patience is wearing thin and my dealer is a useless tit. My trade in vehicle died on me during my alloted wait time! GRRRR.

I ask all of you guys, how long is too long?

·
Registered
614 Posts
rockozzz said:
I'm beyond frustrasted with the waiting time. I ordered May 23, and I have 0 information. As far as I know my car is OK to be schedualed. My patience is wearing thin and my dealer is a useless tit. My trade in vehicle died on me during my alloted wait time! GRRRR.

I ask all of you guys, how long is too long?
Any wait is too long for some. Some people do not function well unless immediate satisfaction is forthcoming. Those people should avoid putting themselves in that position for all concerned.

Some people rationalize the importance of the task at hand and prepare themselves for the process of the wait knowing that eventually, they will end up with what they truly want. Shortcuts, compromises, and rushing decisions as important as a car purchase usually involve regret. Its the emotion instead of logic at play. This is the price paid by impulse buyers.

I waited longer for my factory order R/T than I would have liked but ended up with a car that after a month, I still stare at and am thrilled to drive. You have been waiting aprox 9 weeks. Normal factory orders are minimum 6 to 8 weeks which I'm sure you already knew. The supply and demand environment right now is straining this normal timeline. I ordered in March and took delivery end of June.

The wait is unarguably difficult but if a purchaser is not reconciled to the reality that demand right now is exceeding supply, I recommend they look at another car. I for one learned some time ago that the old cliche "good things are worth waiting for" is absolutely true.

On the other hand, dealers that are misleading purchasers about the wait times and underquoting the projected delivery dates are doing everyone a disservice.

I am positive that DCX is doing everything they can to get Calibers out the factory door. Some of the conspiracy ideas brought out in some threads is laughable and sour grapes. Know what your getting into and if you do not have the patience to go through a wait process, don't go there.

Hope everyone gets their Caliber soon. Really diggin mine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Too long is up to how long you want to wait. I am sure I would have been alot more frustrated if I didn't know about this forum. I was told 40-45 days by my dealer, which in a normal situation would probably be true. But with the high demand for this car and the issues they have had with the robots at the factory, obviously it is going to take longer. As for me, the longer I wait, the later I have to start making a car payment. I have a daily driver now that I have no problem with, so when I decided to order the Caliber, I had no reason to rush it. Sure it gets frustrating. So again, I guess the answer is, how badly do you want THIS car? If you want what you ordered exactly to your specs, then you can wait. Its entirely up to you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I feel the same way RadioDude. Without this forum I would be beyond outraged at ym car taking this long. Only here have I been able to not only find others in the same situation, but also find out why it is happening. I am slowing saving more and more towards my down payment, so that is a bonus for me. My dealer still gets a call about every week with me asking where my Caliber is. i'm sure he will be just as happy to get me my Caliber.

·
Registered
52 Posts
rockozzz, i ordered mine on june 21st, and i was told 12 wks. They told me i should have a ship date within 6-7 weeks. So next week i should be finding out mine. They can look it up in their dealer program and it should tell u the ship date. Also with your contract, or at least on mine, my due date is Sept. 30. If my car hasnt come by then i can opt out of the car with no penalty. Does your contract have that? it might be an option for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was told 8 weeks MAX when I ordered on May 23rd. The dealer has just been giving me the run around. It's at the point that I'm getting attitude from them. As far as tracking the vehicle on the computer goes, they say it's "ok to be schedualed" at this point. Which means, they can't foresee any exact date or haven't a clue when the build date will be. I called Chrysler of Canada, and talked to a rep to complain and they stated they don't guarentee delivery dates seeing as there could be delays in production or whatnot. I'm still in the dark and the dealer despises my face now, but hey, you just gotta give it to them right back :cool:. I'm sure I can opt out, but hell, I've waiting this long. Anything after mid-september though, I think I'll have to break something.

DodgeCaliberSXT said:
rockozzz, i ordered mine on june 21st, and i was told 12 wks. They told me i should have a ship date within 6-7 weeks. So next week i should be finding out mine. They can look it up in their dealer program and it should tell u the ship date. Also with your contract, or at least on mine, my due date is Sept. 30. If my car hasnt come by then i can opt out of the car with no penalty. Does your contract have that? it might be an option for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts