Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I actually don't own a caliber yet (financing goes through tomorrow, I'm a little ancy) but one thing that I've noticed on pretty much all new cars is that the clearcoat is horrendous, orange peel badly, so my plan is to sand it down slightly using 2000 grit, get some more clear put on and sand that down again steping it up to 3000 or so. then get it polished/waxed to a high, dead smooth shine! anyone done this to theirs? call me crazy but I think it might just work!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
3000 would be a fine glaze. 2000 or 1500 wet depending on how careful you are then go to compound and careful buffing then glaze. 600 wet grit or scotch brite before another coat of clear. Just so you know factory clear is quite thin so if you do sand it and dont plan to clear it again be VERY careful.

·
Registered
253 Posts
to much time on your hands man
ya way to much

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
More power to you if you want to do it!:) I personally never heard of anyone doing that to a new car before. You're right, orange peel is present on many makes and models these days. Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
We used to get new cars in all the time for wet sand and buffing. Its a scary job on thin factory clear but makes a pretty big difference. Removing clear also reduces the lifespan of the paint.

·
Registered
567 Posts
i'd love to do that, but i dont have time like that, plus its either raining snowing cold, or to hot in michigan to get a nice wax on a car, and for some reason i hate waxeing the lower half of cars, laziness i guess. honestly i think a good polishing and buff, and wax would do well, u can take enough of the orange peel off just by polishing it with a polisher and then waxing it. i have a phobia of taking sand paper to paint, even when there is rust, cuz i know i'll screw it up some how.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts