Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does the needle on your temp guage stay at after the engine reaches operating temp? Mine stays about one mark below half way most of the time. One thing I noticed though is that it seems to fluctuate more than most vehicles I have owned. It is not unusual for the needle to move around 3 or 4 marks after the engine is warmed up. Maybe it is just the size of the guage in the SE (which is much larger than other models) which makes it look like it is moving around alot.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Your post just got my attention because of a problem I just had (see "Overheating!!" in the Problems thread)..... my thermostat housing cracked and failed, caused loss of coolant and subsequent overheating. I have no clue if this has happened to others -- seems to be the 1st reported incident (at least on this forum).

I *hope* there won't be general problems with the thermostat, that mine is just an isolated case. But if I were you and the gauge needle is acting strange, I'd get it checked out by service. Just in case.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the SXT, and my temp gauge quickly gets to the mark just below half, and then tends to stay there. It's so consistent I sometimes wonder if the gauge actually works. I have not had an overheat problem like Kathy tho.

·
Registered
101 Posts
mine quickly gets to about 3 ticks from the middle, then will sit there for a long time, then after ive been driving it for a while, it will go up to the middle, and then go between the middle and 1 tick down from the middle, and occasionlly 1 tick above the middle...

·
Registered
683 Posts
My needle stays just below the mid-point once the engine is warmed up. I live in Arizona where currently its been over 100.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Your post just got my attention because of a problem I just had (see "Overheating!!" in the Problems thread)..... my thermostat housing cracked and failed, caused loss of coolant and subsequent overheating. I have no clue if this has happened to others -- seems to be the 1st reported incident (at least on this forum).

I *hope* there won't be general problems with the thermostat, that mine is just an isolated case. But if I were you and the gauge needle is acting strange, I'd get it checked out by service. Just in case.
Thanks Kathy for the heads up. I will keep an eye on my thermostat housing. I have yet to lose any fluids but I will keep watching. The guage in the Caliber just seems to jump around more than most vehicles I have owned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts