Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All...
Bought my Caliber on 7/29. Had to take it back to dealership on 8/7. Engine light came on, cruise control would turn itself off, the car died while idling three times. They had it at the dealership a week and kept telling me "I don't know, but we're on the phone with Chrysler engineers". Finally, 8/14, a Chrysler engineer showed up and diagnosed it as a bad cam sensor, said it takes about a week to get the part in. Which means that I won't have my car back until around the 21st. Problem is, I thought a cam sensor was just to prevent the pistons from locking up. Am I wrong? I don't really have a lot of faith that a new cam sensor is going to fix the cruise problem. But, FYI, if you take your car in for any of these problems, tell them to first look at the cam sensor. Apparently, if it's going to go out at all, it'll go out within about the first 3000 miles. Don't wait a week of them telling you "I don't know"!

If anyone else has been given this explanation, please let me know.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
My last car, 2001 Hyundai Accent, had the same thing happen (bad cam sensor). It would die while idling and wouldn't start again until the engine cooled. I didn't have a cruise control on it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The cam sensor sends a signal to the computer telling it the current position of the cam. It is needed for timing. If the sensor is bad the engines not going to run too well. Not sure how it would effect the cruise control though. A very common part failure that can cause cruise to shut off is the brake pedal switch. If the computer thinks you tapped the breaks the cruise control will shut off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts