Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I know im new here and already asking a favour but i need some help. Im from the UK by the way.

A couple of weeks ago I test drove a Caliber and loved it. My wife and I think it looks awesome and its taken me this much time to sort out the money etc.

Problem is my dealer doesnt have a Caliber available at them moment and not for 2 weeks for another showroom model. I need to order a car now but my wife insists that it fits our baby's push chair in the boot before I order one.

Can anybody take a tape measure and tell me the depth and width of the boot (do you call it a boot over there? the trunk - but its a hatch). This is the only thing stopping me order, as I checked everything else before.

She says she doesnt want the pushchair on its side, it has to go in flat on its wheels.

So if anybody has a minute or so please could youo measure the boot so I can at least make a good case for it.

All the best
Enjoy

Cheers
Jonathan

·
Registered
414 Posts
My boot is a 10 1/2, I think that is a 9.5 UK. It is a Keen

actually,

it is 36" (91 cm) from tail gate to back of seats
39" (99 cm)side to side at the back of the seats
49" (124 cm) side to side at the tail gate.

I did not measure from floor to roof

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Top stuff fella, thanks. I really appreciate it.

I needed 27" deep and 35" wide. So I could be ordering a Caliber this weekend ;)

Cheers
Jonathan

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Jonathan and welcome to the forums :D

Which model are you looking at? Petrol or diesel?

How long are they quoting for delivery, I ordered mine in July and it was delivered a couple of weeks later, however some of our American friends have been waiting months :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Stephen, thanks for the welcome.

Originally I was going for a 2.0CRD SXT sport in orange, but my wife has gotten involved (its going to be her daily drive) and were are going for a 2.0CRD SXT in black, but also specing the musicgate system. She really wanted the leather trim and wanted a black one.

I drove the diesel and thought it was superb and after the last 5 years with a Golf GT TDI, I dont think i can live without the mid range punch or the economy of a good diesel.

The dealer has said that he can get me pretty much any colour trim combo of SXT and SXT sport models but no S or SE's. 10 days after deposit for delivery. They are walking out of the showroom though as in the three time ive dropped by none of the Calibers were there from the first to the second and all had gone for the third.

Discounts dont seem to be forthcoming although drivethedeal.co.uk could get £465 off of a black SXT with musicgate on the road and delivered but ive got a trade :(

fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have a failry large baby stoller(asume that's what you mean by push chair) And mine fits just fine. It wouldn't fit in the trunk of most cars We've tried, at least not without some disassembly. One of the reasons we decided to go ahead and get the Claiber.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great news, so are you to put your deposit down today? ;)

Diesels are by far the most common over here, mainly due to the fuel economy so it's understandable.

10 days for delivery seems about right and you'll not regret getting the MusicGate - It is a fantastic system :D

I've yet to hear of anyone getting a substantial discount and it's not surprising, they're great value compared with the Focus and Golf and very popular. There is a reason why other brands have to offer such deals to sell :D

The thing you'll have to get used to is the stares and comments. Not everyone likes the style of the Caliber but they all have an opinion. Just wait until you're at a petrol station or supermarket car park :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HSKR said:
I have a failry large baby stoller(asume that's what you mean by push chair) And mine fits just fine. It wouldn't fit in the trunk of most cars We've tried, at least not without some disassembly. One of the reasons we decided to go ahead and get the Claiber.
Ahh the beauty of our different language.

Thanks for the heads up on that mate. The issue suddenly came about as my mum came round to take my wife and daughter out, and not only was it a job to fit the stroller in the boot of my mum's Focus, but the seat belt didnt have enough reach for the child seat. So those things are top of the agenda now.

Stephen, you were not in Hastings last weekend by any chance?

Will go again this weekend, and then make our mind up for good. (although mine is made up)

I know what you mean abotu stares. We saw one down at the sea front just as we were discussing car options and everybody just watched it pass.

:cool::D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Roadsterchinsk said:
Ahh the beauty of our different language.
Off topic:

When I was assigned to a NATO unit in Bosnia, my boss was a British Army sergeant. We had a fun time dealing with the language differences. While we both were speaking English, sometimes it was like we were speaking totally different languages.

One time when we were working behind a comms rack, he asked me, "Do you ave a torch?" I just gave him a blank look since a torch to me is something with fire. He saw my confused look and said, "@%#$ Americans...do you have a flash light?"

You should have seen the look on his face when I made a comment about a "fanny pack". Since "fanny" has a completely different meaning in GB, they are called "bum bags" there.

The language differences can be humorous at times.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled topic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not guilty, M'lord - I wasn't in Hastings last weekend :(

I've only ever seen a handful of others on the road, although that should change as they sell more of them!!

Keep us informed of how you're getting on :D

As for differences between English and American English, I love that the word '***' means something totally different in the US ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
StephenM UK said:
As for differences between English and American English, I love that the word '***' means something totally different in the US ;)
Smoking a *** in the U.K. is perfectly acceptable...in the U.S., it's a hate crime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Can someone measure the boot - now buying caliber

Hi folks,
well, after the helpful measurements of MR_badda_Bing I was able to make a good case for the Caliber. We went to the dealership today and discussed the deal. All sorted or so I thought.

After the great availablity I was told about two weeks ago it now turns out we cant have one quite yet.

Basically there are only two SXT's in the country with the diesel engine and neither is black which is our favoured colour. We also want the musicgate system which meant that there is only one available and its dark blue. We like the blue but we really want the black.

So we have to wait until late October/early November before we can have our Cali. However, we are still really pleased.

On a good note one of the dealerships previous customers popped in for some mats, and they let us try our car seat and "stroller" for fit. All went really well so no I just join my friends accross the atlantic in waiting for my car to arrive.

They have said November at the latest for my Black CRD SXT with additional musicgate though!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congratulations on your order, I'm sorry to hear that you'll have to wait until November but it will be worth it, you won't be disappointed :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a Black SXT with musicgate, and I'm truly happy with my choice! In the long run, I think you will be happy with your decision to wait a little longer. The musicgate system is fantastic! And when you fold down the rear seats, you've got a lot of room to haul all kinds of stuff. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go outside and smoke a ***.:eek: :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
My boot is a 10 1/2, I think that is a 9.5 UK. It is a Keen
*potential threadjack!*

Keen shoes ROCK!! They are just awesome! I am wearing a pair right now in fact.

*end of threadjack*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts