Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really can't decide how i want to install sirius in my car. it would be nice to hook it up directly to my radio thru my 6d changer but i've been looking around and it seems like that's more expensive then just buying a dash unit.(like several hundred for unit and install) am i correct on this? because if that's the case i was thinking of getting a stiletto, that way i can take it in and out of the car. do you think one of those would fit in the little holder that flips up from the middle console? i usually put my phone there, but i think if the stiletto fit there that would be rockin. any feedback from people who already have sirius installed??

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have aftermarket Sirius (the Starmate model) installed, but I just have the power plugged into the cigarette lighter. I bought the whole kit for about $75 at Radio Shack and installed it myself in about 30 minutes.

I am interested to know how I can hard-wire it into the power source behind the dash and maybe even hard-wire the antenna into the AUX jack for the radio. I'm guessing someone on here can help us, val_cal.

Oh and the Stiletto is 2.0"W x 4.5"H x 1.0"D according to Amazon.com. My Zune is 2.4"W x 4.4"H x 0.6"D and it's just a tick too wide for the holder. The only thing I would worry about would be the 1.0" thickness. You'll have to take some measurements.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a portable XM radio, an Inno and with it docked in the car unit(which you have to have) it does fit perfectly in the mp3 holder spot BUT it's annoying because it slides around when it's out like that and if you need to shift gears it's in the way fully extended.

If you have the money to hard wire, do it. I hate my free standing unit, there is really no athestically pleasing place to mount it IMO. I ended up just placing it in one of my cup holders, face up. I can use it easily there and remove it and set it to the side when I need my cup holder.

Plus the wires don't show at all because they are tucked to the side next to the cup holders.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
As I've mentioned before, I have my XM Roady XT hardwired and mounted in the useless cubby next to the drivers window. Fits perfectly, and is in easy reach to change channels. All the wires are routing inside the dash so you can't see them. You can hardwire any sat radio for power. Just buy a power socket form any parts store and splice it into the stock wire under the dash and plug in the sat inder the dash somewhere. It's the only way it's going to work.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Get the factory installed Sirius radio with a free 12 month subscription. If you are installing after the fact, shop on Ebay for a Sirius equipped Dodge factory radio and install it.

Here is my reasoning (for those with two cars). I bought the 07 Cali w/o Sirius. But I bought the 07 Sebring with Sirius and got 12 months free. I then bought a standalone unit that can be tuned in to any radio. It only costs $6.95 a month because I am already a Sirius subscriber. Sweet deal. I listen to it more in the Sebring than the wife does in the Cali. But at home...........

We now can use the Sirius in the Cali, in the house, hotels, outside in the pool, backyard patio, in the middle of nowhere, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recomend getting a Sirius ready headunit plus the external tuner and antenna. It is a much cleaner install and sounds better than any fm modulated solution. Satelite radio is already heaviley compressed so you dont .want to make it worse by modulating the sound. I personally think all the add on control units and wires are ugly. The one thing they give you is portabillity of your service

1 - 6 of 6 Posts