Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a roof rack on my caliber but cannot find one to buy!

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I ordered a Mopar Roof Rack when I purchased my Caliber in August. The next day I was informed that the units had been recalled due to a "quality issue". The dealer later received a letter stating that the redesigned roof rack will be available "at the end of February". I will wait and see if that happens otherwise I'll end up purchasing an aftermarket rack. I need one by spring for my bicycles.

Lee

·
Registered
256 Posts
I didn't look through those threads, but the only roof ones I know about are permanent. Screwed on. I think I'm going to go with the hitch mount for my bikes. I'll usually only be carrying two, so I should be OK.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a shop to install yakima 42 in. tracks along the edge of the roof. Probably the strongest and cleanest looking option. Not the cheapest though :p

Tracks run ~$110 Plus you have to purchase the control towers ($95) and landing pads ($50). Don't forget the load bars... ($100).

Although more expensive, this would give the most flexibility. I figure if you have to drill anyway, might as well do it right. If they are redesigning the roof rack, however, perhaps this means Yakima?/Thule will develop a new Caliber specific rack. Hmm... might have to wait a bit (won't be kayaking till late spring anyway).

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a mopar rack... ordered it from the wyckoff dealership found online and had it installed at my local dealer. I have carried 4 snowboards with no issues. Haven't heard about a recall? Anyone have any information on that?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also have the Mopar rack but haven't installed it yet. I didn't realize it required drilling/riv nut installation and I haven't had/taken the time as of yet. Calibur, what did your dealer charge for the install??

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think they charged around an hour and a half or two.... it was right around 150$. I will try to find the receipt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those of you who are interested. I got tired of waiting for Mopar to release the updated roof rack (Sport Utility Bars) for the Caliber so I ended up going with an aftermarket setup. Another poster had used a Perrycraft ( www.perrycraft.com ) rack and after researching them I ended up purchasing one. I got the Sport Quest crossrails & mounts plus two Barracuda bike carriers installed for $550. Their installers have to do the installation for the warranty to be valid. I've had it for about a week and have been pleased with it.

Also I have two new Mopar Fork Mount Bike Carriers for the sport utility bars for sale if anyone is interested. They are currently on eBay, #110101566987.

·
Registered
1 Posts
O.K. Everyone who's needin' a rack check out the Maggie Rack by Topline. Super easy to install and allows for the curve of the roof. It also lets you use other manufacture's equipment.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts