Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have a bad decision to make here. Let me start with the how and why first. Okay, I have an apprenticeship with MB that I haev to drive about 60-70 miles per day for (round trip of course, 30-35 one way) Anyway, I currently have a Jeep Wrangler that I love and will not part from that is eating me alive in gas costs. I generally put about $100+ a week in gas in it, so about $400 a month minimum. So, now I'm looking at the Jeep Compass and the Dodge Caliber as a daily driver vehicle and use the Wrangler as my offroad vehicle/experimental type deal. (Hey, I'm basically an engineering apprentice, so ideas pop in that might prove good ;)) So, I like how the Compass is AWD capable in the base model and has a 5 speed available with the 2.4L. But, I like the look of the Caliber SXT Sport better (the R/T is a little pricey for me right now.) Being a loyal jeep owner (and beating the heck out of mine for the past 8 or so years and never having broken anything) I know they're reliable. (Yeah, I know its the same vehicle, but its a Jeep thing...) I actually kind of want the 2.0L that will be made available in the Compass later on with AWD, that way it gets decent gas mileage. What should I base my decision on, and what are your suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Do you want manual or CVT2??

Caliber SXT is available with the 1.8L in 5-speed and R/T you can get FWD 2.4L 5-speed (R/T AWD is CVT2 only) 2.0 in any Caliber is only available in CVT2 at least for '07 anyway.

Jeep weighs more and has a higher stance than the Caliber.

I suggest, but may be difficult now, test drive both cars in the various engine/ trans forms.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I've left the Compass off, and am more than likely going to get a Caliber SXT (Silver) for about 16K (Plus the employee discount:D). The salesman (who my family has dealt with before, and likes) is supposed to call me next week when it comes in. He better not forget either or else! Its either this or a VW Rabbit... What are the real world gas mileage figures you all are getting? Is there anything you all dislike about your Calibers? What about likes? Before I forget, what are you guys doing for performance and such? What about MPG increases (if any?) One more thing, I'm not a big fan of the Silver Caliber and such, how long is the waiting list on one custom ordered? I think the orange SXT Sport with a few options would be an idea...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Real world gas mileage. 28-30mpg highway, and 22-26mpg in the city. Problems all depend on the person and what they expect out of the vehicle. Some have more "problems" than others just because they expect more out of thier car than others. Waiting list will be up in the air for right now since they finally got back to full production at the plant, but also have a lot of back orders to catch up on. I would say at least 6-8 weeks wait for a custom ordered one if not longer. Have your dealer do an inventory search at other dealers around your area. They can usually work out some sort of trade with the other dealer if there is on you like. If you are buying from dealer inventory, figure out which options/colors you must have, which ones you can live with, and which ones you do NOT want and go from there. Ultimitaly it's your car, so you need to get the one you are going to like, not what other people tell you to get.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats my thoughts exactly, to get what I want, and not what others say is needed. I'm thinking SXT Sport, Exterior effects package, CVT & 2.0L, & the Boston Accoustics/Soundgate package, maybe a sunroof, and the front side air bags right now in sunburst orange.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
CoriolisSTORM said:
Thats my thoughts exactly, to get what I want, and not what others say is needed. I'm thinking SXT Sport, Exterior effects package, CVT & 2.0L, & the Boston Accoustics/Soundgate package, maybe a sunroof, and the front side air bags right now in sunburst orange.
Those are good choices. The MusicGate is AWSOME. No need to change anything with the stereo. It bumps as good if not better than some aftermarket systems I've heard. I wish I would have gotten a sunroof on my Caliber, but I didn't feel the need to pay $700 for that option since price was a big factor in my purchase.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, price is a big deal with mine as well. I gotta (or would like to) keep the payment below $300. That's the upper limit I want.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
CoriolisSTORM said:
Yeah, price is a big deal with mine as well. I gotta (or would like to) keep the payment below $300. That's the upper limit I want.
That's what i was shooting for, and could have gotten if the one I custom orderedw ould have arrived in time. I had ordered a SE, but ended up buying a SXT off the dealer lot and paid more for it. My paymets are $350 a month. But we needed a new car. Our old car had stopped running, so my wife didn't have anything to drive when I was at work, and with a baby at home, she needs transportation.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
CoriolisSTORM said:
... What are the real world gas mileage figures you all are getting? Is there anything you all dislike about your Calibers? What about likes? Before I forget, what are you guys doing for performance and such? What about MPG increases (if any?) One more thing, I'm not a big fan of the Silver Caliber and such, how long is the waiting list on one custom ordered? ...
Many of your questions have been well-covered in some prior discussions; you may find it faster and easier to browse some of them while waiting for any new input.

For example - real world gas mileages (a long-running and still current thread):

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880

Dislikes? Included in this thread:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1940

And many other similar existing threads about these and the other subjects.

Probably the best thing to do is browse the topic headings in each of the forums; you will find many discussions that include the particular subjects you are interested in within the titles.

In addition, you can also enter any of the terms of what you are seeking as keywords in the search feature (Advanced Search is better yet) - you will see a wealth of existing information that may assist you until more and updates and responses are entered in this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts