Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife calls me after putting in 12 hours of work telling me that our 1000 mile caliber won't start. She turns the key and nothing happens. I cntinue to tell her to make sure it's fully in park, blah blah. Nothin works...I drive to where she is and start checking things out. I'm already not in the mood to work on cars since I was in the process of puling the dash out of my SS to redo some wiring for a few fun items. I get there an nothing works. It won't start. She unloads her car into mine and before we head off she tries again...it starts..WTF?
The list is adding up when our first dealer visit happens. Already it has to go to the body shop for a scratch I found during delivery and the dealer installed tint has bubbles. The car also seems to have some timing issues, I hear alot of pinging from the engine and we've even tried mid grade fuel. There is also an annoying rattle in the center somehwere. I realize it's a $20k car but i'd expect this from a car that has more than 1k miles.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The not starting issue sounds similar to problem on my caravan,
the start neutral switch was out of adjustment,get in and out
a few times and away it would go.
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Didn't someone post weeks ago about the little hole on the right side of the consol to get to the switch?

·
Registered
976 Posts
xlimodriver said:
Didn't someone post weeks ago about the little hole on the right side of the consol to get to the switch?
Wrong switch,that one allows you to get out PARK if fuse in
brake release circuit blows.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think she pushed a button on the remote when she tried to start it. The samething happen to me a week ago. It started after sitting for a few minutes. I thought I read something in the manual about it sometime ago?

·
Registered
142 Posts
This happened to me yesterday at a gas station. I got out of my car and left the key in the ignition and shut the door. When I got back in the car it wouldn't crank. I took the key out for a few seconds and it wouldn't even unlock the doors. So I'm guessing it had something to do with the sentry key system. Probably not faulty wiring since the door's wouldn't lock and unlock either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This has happened to be a number of times now. About 1 month ago, around 1200 miles, i had an issue where the Caliber wouldn't start, nor would it shift out of park. I used the override switch to get the car out of park, but the car still wouldnt start.

I had the car towed back to the dealer (thanks Roadside assitance), and when they got it there, of course the car started and would shift out of park just fine. Left it overnight, and the problem re-occurred in the morning for them. They ended up replacing the shifter, saying the spring appeared weak. Anyway, car has been running fine since then. Now, this morning, wife went to go start the car and go to work - won't start, again. Turn the key, and nothing. No indicators lighting up on the dash helping to point to any specific problem.

I'll be calling roadside assitance again here in a few, and get another tow back to the dealership, hopefully they figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: Tow truck driver tried to start car, didnt start (shows i'm not crazy). Caliber gets dropped off to the dealership, service manager starts right up. 2nd time this has happened like that. It's not like it's 50 degrees outside - it's AZ and already 85 by 8am, so not sure what's causing it. I would 'assume' the battery is fine, since it wouldn't jump-start either. Time to go pull out some more hair... Anyone else have/had any issues like this?

·
Registered
377 Posts
At least the tow truck driver was able to see that it was happening.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Next time this happens, take your key out and step out of the car and see if the keyless entry works. I had to push the buttons on the keyfob a couple of times and finally it started working the locks again, and it also cranked. You could need a new key, or maybe the battery in your key is just defective. Have you gotten the key overly wet?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you drop the key and it lands on the pointy part it will screw up the transponder security thingy in the key.

·
Registered
89 Posts
BatmobileSS said:
I realize it's a $20k car but i'd expect this from a car that has more than 1k miles.
There should be no problems on a 20k new car at all. This is why American car makers are struggling right now...quality issues. There is likely no car that is problem free. However, these small problems are the things that consumers frequently have to deal with on a new American car. It's unfortunate. I want a Caliber so badly but I so much don't want the inconvienience of dealing with a handful of small annoyances or problems such as the rattling that your experiencing. I hope when I make the plunge to buy it won't come with several unwanted "issues".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts