Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not the first to do something like this. Props to ib2loud and his version of the mod. (http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6480&postcount=1)

I liked the idea of covering that area, but I wanted something that I could roll up...but not take out of the vehicle. I went to HomeDepot and purchased a Dura Rib rubber backed rug (no-slippage). The pictures show the look of the job. I didn't take the care to cut exact. In fact, I wanted a lip around the whole area so that dirt wouldn't fall into the crevice around the edges (my preference).

This is what I bought for $16.99 USD. It measures 36" x 60". The maximum width of the Caliber's cargo area (not including fold-down seats) is 31" x 48".

Tools

I snip-snipped...and was finished within 10 minutes.

Here's from the inside rear-passenger door looking out the back.

Standing back, looking into the back perspective...

That blue decal is a removable sticker that I didn't remove until much later in the day. I forgot it while taking the pictures. This is a very durable, rubber-backed mat that will not slip. The horizontal ridges should stop things from sliding around. It can be vacuumed for cleaning...or replaced if you get too rugged back there. Cheap!!!

Tyke

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
MrTyke wouldn't this be considered the 3rd mod??:D

Not too bad, wonder if you could have gotten that in a tan/grey color?? (to match your interior color) Would it look cleaner if the mat was cut more exact?, unless that is the way you wanted to keep it then leave it and don't mind me:cool:

Other than that I thinks it looks really good!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah, don't mind Joe, he's a little buzzed up.. :D

The mat looks cool but I second the tan color. :p

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Xtreme Thunder said:
MrTyke wouldn't this be considered the 3rd mod??:D
I'm not sure. You mean by me, or related to the cargo area? If cargo area, then I missed one.

Xtreme Thunder said:
Not too bad, wonder if you could have gotten that in a tan/grey color?? (to match your interior color)
The only color I saw was that charcoal. I imagine that if you searched hard enough, you might it in different colors. I Googled it and got back a page that had a couple rug options (http://www.durablecorp.com/entrance.htm). Go down about half way and you'll see one called Enforcer II that comes in five different color selections.

Xtreme Thunder said:
Would it look cleaner if the mat was cut more exact?, unless that is the way you wanted to keep it then leave it and don't mind me:cool:
I might think that it would look like it was supposed to be there. :) One of my peaves with the Caliber's interior is the amount of gaps that "things" can slide into and NEVER be found again...particularly around the rug and sidewall areas. I thought it would be cool to have a lip on it so that nothing got away from me...unintentionally. The thing I liked most was that I could roll it up if I momentarily didn't want to use it.

Thanks for the questions and musings.

Tyke

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
MrTyke said:
I'm not sure. You mean by me, or related to the cargo area? If cargo area, then I missed one.
Gas Cap, Mud Flaps and Cargo Mat...I think I am confusing myself...LOL
(Was there someone else that did a cargo mat/area mod too?)

Anyway, it seems as though you did the lip for a reason!

Another new phrase!!::

Snip-Snipped!!!:D:D LOL, goes along with Blink-Wink!!:D:cool::eek:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xtreme Thunder said:
Gas Cap, Mud Flaps and Cargo Mat...I think I am confusing myself...LOL
(Was there someone else that did a cargo mat/area mod too?)
Yeh, I think that I'm even confusing myself. The only Caliber cargo mat mod that I knew of was the one done by ib2loud. He's got pictures on here of his final product. It is fitting to the exact form of the rear area.

Xtreme Thunder said:
Anyway, it seems as though you did the lip for a reason!

Another new phrase!!::

Snip-Snipped!!!:D:D LOL, goes along with Blink-Wink!!:D:cool::eek:
You're kidding! That's a new one too?!?! That must mean it's time to get some sleep. I'm beginning to make too much stuff up.

Thanks.

Tyke

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
MrTyke said:
Yeh, I think that I'm even confusing myself. The only Caliber cargo mat mod that I knew of was the one done by ib2loud. He's got pictures on here of his final product. It is fitting to the exact form of the rear area.

You're kidding! That's a new one too?!?! That must mean it's time to get some sleep. I'm beginning to make too much stuff up.

Thanks.

Tyke
Thats who it was, ib2loud, both have great renditions of the same idea!

LOL!! I need sleep too...

These are really great mods and I think that this forum should have a designated archive section so we can plop these great mods and do-hows together for viewing later on down the road rather than a searching for them.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Joe, calm down man, it's going to be O.K...:D:D

Once again, looks nice tyke!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good idea Tyke

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RT_Caliber said:
Good idea Tyke
Thanks. This turned out to be the quickest, least expensive, most utilitarian mod that I have done with the Caliber. :D :D

Tyke

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good.

I finally had an opportunity to take some house-junk to my U-Haul storage. I had the back area filled to the gills...to include two doors that I removed from a closet. Having that cargo area covered came in quite handy because I would have ended up scraping that plastic cover back there.

It's a good deal to cover it, no matter how you plan to do it. :D

Tyke

·
Registered
268 Posts
benjajones said:
Sorry for the bad photo, but thought I'd share. Obviously more expensive than the mod above. Available on the net for $90.

that looks really good, but just a little expensive, i think they should be included, along with BETTER floor mats

·
Registered
683 Posts
I cheated and just bought the Mopar factory cargo mat. Looks great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have put non slip material down in the back of my sxt. I picked it up at fabricland for about $6 Can. They call it carpet backing to put on the floor to stop slipping. It works great, black and no slipping of groceries or any other parcels. Sorry no pics but check out a fabric store. They had other colors.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Taffydogs Blue Caliber said:
I have put non slip material down in the back of my sxt. I picked it up at fabricland for about $6 Can. They call it carpet backing to put on the floor to stop slipping. It works great, black and no slipping of groceries or any other parcels. Sorry no pics but check out a fabric store. They had other colors.
dammit i wanted pics... six bucks eh?? i'll have to check that baby out...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts