Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for all you Cliber offilcianados. How capable is this vehicle in terms of cartopping a canoe. There a lot of vehicles out there that simply can't do the job. A vheicle this size should be able to carry a 17-foot aluminum canoe with ease. Nobody builds cars with rain gutters anymore, so you have to go with aftermarket roof racks. The shorter rooflines on most vehicles don't provide adequate cross-bar spread to haul a boat of this size. And, few vehicles have place to safely securre bow and stearn tie-down lines. I hope the "Dodge Boys" have a better answer. Anybody had any experience in this direction?
Pedalman

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm waiting till I see a roof rack worth some money. I'm going to be throwing an 18-footer canoe on top. That Mopar rack is not that great (IMHO), and one member here had some problems with one that was instaled on his Caliber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I was able to get my hands on the mopar rack that people have had some problems with. (made a huge deal about it with the dealer, who was able to pull some strings and get one in). Anyway, I tried installing it and didn't at first have much success, as the rivnuts didn't properly expand. So I actually found a rivnut expansion hand tool thingy online. Ordered it and installed the rack last weekend. Seems to be pretty sturdy with what now seem to be properly expanded rivnuts. I guess only time and loads (bikes, sports gear, etc) will tell if it is a decent rack install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
CaliJoe said:
So I was able to get my hands on the mopar rack that people have had some problems with. (made a huge deal about it with the dealer, who was able to pull some strings and get one in). Anyway, I tried installing it and didn't at first have much success, as the rivnuts didn't properly expand. So I actually found a rivnut expansion hand tool thingy online. Ordered it and installed the rack last weekend. Seems to be pretty sturdy with what now seem to be properly expanded rivnuts. I guess only time and loads (bikes, sports gear, etc) will tell if it is a decent rack install.
Is the Dodge rack just the crossbars? Do they sell the saddles for kayaks? Bike rack? Do the attachements bolt onto the crossbar similar to my Yakima saddles?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think the main problem with the Dodge kit is tha tit comes with the carbon?plastic crossbeams. For sturdy loads, you'd wanting something metal since it is stiffer. I recall someone stating that their kayak was bouncing around too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts