Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it appears magnaflow is coming out with a cat back for the caliber I dont know when but I was just on thier site and it says its coming soon so hopefully it will be here in nov/dec!

·
Registered
203 Posts
lukeinva said:
Well it appears magnaflow is coming out with a cat back for the caliber I dont know when but I was just on thier site and it says its coming soon so hopefully it will be here in nov/dec!
Check out this thread:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449

I talked to a salesman at Magnaflow about 3 weeks ago (I think) and then they said about 6 weeks... I am still waiting patiently.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't hold your breath for this one. A friend of mine who is a parts manager for a Dodge dealer has this installed on his Caliber SXT and said it is a waste of time. He said things did not match up well and it was hard to install and the passenger side exhaust tip was pointing down lower than the driver side tip. He also said it sounds a little better at idle, but at speed there was very little difference in exhaust sound.

He has done a CAI and header and this Magnaflow exhaust and Iridium plugs and sees no extra performance gains. He has not Dyno'd it though. He said the reason it has not been released yet is because of the fitment not being right. I assume when it is finally released though, all the bugs will be worked out.

He is now looking into installing a Turbo from a PT Cruiser with Larger Injectors and a custom computer on his Caliber. He does not think there is much to gain from the aftermarket except for a turbo. He did say he now gets about 2 mpg better though.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
644 Posts
funny, i have the exhaust and it works great for me.... if he went rescently he has the second one that was the replica that was never lined up on the car before they made it. they made one extra one off of the one they made for me because they werent able to dyno my car because it was AWD.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like mine that I just had done, its OBX it sounds great, too me and All the Dodge Service guys and Gals loved it too, My buddie owns a race shop and he did it for me, he bent the pipe several ways till he go it right , I got a extra 8 hp , He put it on his Dino and thats what came up after install.
I said why pay $700 bucks for the duel by Dodge, I have notice a big diffrence in throttle response too, it opens up the 2.4 so it can Breath, plus less weight in the back, MAN! the Stock Muffler was heavy!
click on pick its a sound clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Definetly ask him for the dyno results. Very curious what these cars put to the ground through the CVT.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would seriously doubt any cat-back setup will add any appreciable performance to our Calibers in the typical RPM range driven. It's only purpose is better sound. Todays factory exhausts are not nearly as restrictive as those of 15-20 years ago or so. The main difference back then was putting on a free-flowing cat converter AND headers. You can't change the cat in most states without violating emissions laws...not unless the cat fails.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Whatever! :eek:

·
Registered
644 Posts
lmao... ya, because all the resonators that are put on todays cars arent restrictive at all....lol

·
Registered
683 Posts
Can anyone post some pre/post dyno results after adding a cat-back? It has been my experience with other vehicles that a cat-back may improve HP/Torque at highway rpm's but reduce torque at lower rpm's. Has anyone made a 50-state approved header for the Caliber?

How about mpg improvements?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Huff said:
Can anyone post some pre/post dyno results after adding a cat-back? It has been my experience with other vehicles that a cat-back may improve HP/Torque at highway rpm's but reduce torque at lower rpm's. Has anyone made a 50-state approved header for the Caliber?

How about mpg improvements?

Bolt on this CAD designed and dyno tested Mopar performance tubular exhaust header to feel and hear the difference. Manufactured with heavy gauge powder coated tubing, this performance header features true mandrel bends and CNC machined fl anges for a factory-like fit. Install with the Cat-Back Exhaust System (P5153564) and Cold Air Intake System (P5153572) for an over 10 hp gain (measured at front wheels).P5153566Caliber Tubular Exhaust Headers 296.40

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/Caliber.html

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I would be curious to what is put to the wheels too before any mods. I do believe Mopar in when they say a over 10HP increase, measured at the front wheels. (With all 3 installed)

Just curious myself as to what is put to the pavement. Pictures/scans of the dyno would be helpful to many instead of creating a thread about if headers/ CAT back exhausts/ CAI do make a difference or not.

I would also like to hear sound clips of the exhausts that the current members installed!

If I had one available, I would, believe me!;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Huff said:
I would seriously doubt any cat-back setup will add any appreciable performance to our Calibers in the typical RPM range driven. It's only purpose is better sound. Todays factory exhausts are not nearly as restrictive as those of 15-20 years ago or so. The main difference back then was putting on a free-flowing cat converter AND headers. You can't change the cat in most states without violating emissions laws...not unless the cat fails.
By the way just to let you know I had a 89 Mustang GT and I had to get emmisions done on it, the car had no cats what so ever, just shells to look like it did and passed with flying colors

·
Registered
644 Posts
RadrussRT said:

Bolt on this CAD designed and dyno tested Mopar performance tubular exhaust header to feel and hear the difference. Manufactured with heavy gauge powder coated tubing, this performance header features true mandrel bends and CNC machined fl anges for a factory-like fit. Install with the Cat-Back Exhaust System (P5153564) and Cold Air Intake System (P5153572) for an over 10 hp gain (measured at front wheels).P5153566Caliber Tubular Exhaust Headers 296.40

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/Caliber.html
theyre notorious for undershooting their numbers. ive got an awd dyno here locally that hooks me up pretty good.. if i get around to it ill do a couple runs this week and see what my car dynos at.... just wish i had some numbers before i did mods.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Darren07RT said:
lmao... ya, because all the resonators that are put on todays cars arent restrictive at all....lol
Considering a resonator is nothing more than a straight through tube... :rolleyes:

A resonator is the BEST flowing muffler you can have in fact. Though it doesn't fall into the muffler category because it has nothing to actually dampen the sound. The chief principle of a resonator is to change the tone of exhaust, take the harshness out. It operates off of the helmholtz principle.

These "performance straight through" mufflers don't flow all that well. Manufacturers are all about showing the inside of their mufflers with cutaways, but pick up a Magnaflow or Dynomax UltraFlo or any similar straight through muffler, look through the inlet and you will notice "teeth" inside. These teeth catch the exhaust as it fills the chamber and deadens the sound with the fiberglass packing inside the muffler. A gas naturally fills every chamber it enters, so if there are holes or teeth, it slows and expands.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
for a thousand clams i would expect ALOT more than 10 hp. if not my money will towards a street bike.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I will have stock dyno numbers as soon as I get my car back from AEM with the new cold air intake on it. They said this is the first CVT they have had in the shop, so they will have to expirement on how to dyno it, since dyno's are usually based off RPMs, but with the CVT, the RPM stays constant.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts