Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Would you have rather waited for a Challenger instead of buying a Caliber?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dodge Challenger concept that had muscle car enthusiasts like myself salivating at the auto show is going to get a much earlier release than originally predicted, coming out for the 2008 model year....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060701/bs_nm/autos_chrysler_challenger_dc

So....knowing that now, do you wish you wouldn't have just bought a Caliber and waited for the Challenger instead?

·
Registered
911 Posts
The Challenger is a totally different car in a totally different market. I don't think its meant to be an everyday vehicle like the Caliber is.

Given the 425 HP engine, I doubt it gets anywhere near 20 MPG either. Its not very practical and up in NYS, wouldn't be worth shit in the winter.

Its Caliber all the way baby!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great news on the CHallenger, but it doesn't give me any regrets on my Caliber. I want BOTH, plus a Hornet for commuting!!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
JoeDodge said:
Great news on the CHallenger, but it doesn't give me any regrets on my Caliber. I want BOTH, plus a Hornet for commuting!!!
x3!!!

Heck, besides my Caliber I want a Charger, Magnum, Hornet and a Challenger... oh and one of those 300s! DCX has an awesome fleet.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Its a cool car and they will sell everyone at first, but it is the most impractical car for the times, in 2008 gas will be even higher than it is now, because we still have an idiot until then, and in that, the Challenger only makes sense for a limited use vehicle.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think the Challenger is going to be one of those cars you just buy and keep. Maybe only drive it occasionally. Depending on how limited the production is, this may be a collectors car like the old Challengers. Its kinda like an SRT vehicle, I wouldn't buy an SRT vehicle to drive everyday....

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
dunno about that.. with the MDS (4banger mode & v8 mode) & perhaps a v6 in the lineup.. the gas may not be as bad.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Amandyke said:
No viper in that list?
Eh, Viper is cool and all, but I just can't see my self driving one of those around. I'd rather have the Challenger with as big of a motor as can be shoe-horned under the hood (a 7 liter would be cool).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I paid 18k for the Caliber.

I'd be willing to bet you couldn't get a bare bones Challenger for anything less than 25k. I'd be shocked if it sniffed 20k.

So would I like a Challenger -- hell yeah. Does it make me regret the Caliber? Only if they announce the price is the same as the Cali -- then yeah, I'll be pissed.

But I'd probably be too busy dodging flying pigs to be concerned for long.:D

·
Registered
901 Posts
quadrajet said:
...So....knowing that now, do you wish you wouldn't have just bought a Caliber and waited for the Challenger instead?
Not at all. Completely different type of vehicle than what I wanted. I'll gladly take one out for a test spin though!!!

Oh, here are more articles, if anyone is interested--

From June 30, titled "Dodge rumble returns":
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060630/BUSINESS01/606300319/1014/BUSINESS01

From July 2, titled "NASCAR fans meet the Challeger": http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060702/BUSINESS01/607020569

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
It really is a cool car and would love to see them on the roads, even maybe drive one! BUT I think I will stick to the smaller engine area, Caliber! and the possible Hornet!!??:D:cool:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
suzq044 said:
dunno about that.. with the MDS (4banger mode & v8 mode) & perhaps a v6 in the lineup.. the gas may not be as bad.
The 425HP SRT version used in the Jeep, Magnum, 300C, Charger and the soon to be Challenger do not have cylinder de-activation. that is only available on the standard 340hp v8

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
This topic is a struggle for me since i haven't decided 100% on the next vehicle that I will be buying in the spring.

Muscle car man lust
2008 Shelby GT500 (sold out for this year, and going well above sticker)... but the Mustang is suppsoed to get a redesign for 2008, so might be interested.
2008 Chevy Camaro
2008 Dodge Challenger
Used Cadilac CTS-V
Used C5 Z06 and keep winter beater for winter (but it really is a beater and won't likely do well for when i need a family car)

Cons
Limited seating space, poor MPG, RWD + Canadian winters, aquisition + insurance costs are higher than what I'd like to look at spending (or should I say than my wife wants me to look at spending on a vehicle) and the furthest thing from the versatility that I've loved so much about my 2004 Matrix XRS.

4-door family man movers
Caliber SRT4 (unknown performance, quality, fit & finish etc. BUT do it year round drivability and versatility)
Mazdaspeed 3 (^^^ ditto... slightly less rear hatch space)
WRX STI (costs more, look at me body accesories, not as versatile but a heck of a performer)

So my heart is lusting after the first list, but my mind is trying to talk my heart into keeping the price tag range lower, the versatility/practicallity up while still offering decent performance....

·
Registered
911 Posts
Then buy what you need, not what you want. No offense here but its kinda dumb spending $30,000-$40,000 on a car you can't use half the time because it doesn't serve your needs.

Thats like buying Macintosh Computers for a business that has all Windows based software. Sure the Macs look nicer and will probably last longer, but are more expensive and you can't do anything with them in your particular business for your needs.

Sure, everyone wants a car they can brag about, but there's no bragging rights to a car you can't use. You buy something like a Challenger, or Camaro and its going to spend 4 to 6 months in a garage covered up because there's snow on the ground. So you'd end up buying 2 vehicles. Like I said previously, I wouldn't buy a muscle car to drive around all year, especially in the winter. Like I would never buy an SRT vehicle to drive around all the time. I cringe when I see an SRT-4 (Neon style) driving around in the middle of winter here in upstate NY when its snowing and blowing and yes people are doing that.

I probably sound like your wife don't I? :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
I probably sound like your wife don't I? :D
Those points sound all to familar lol :D I agree about the winter driving, and the practicality. I mean we have done cross country camping trips with the matrix and you just can't beat the hatch style car. We are also looking at starting a family in a few years, so a RWD 2-dr. coupe wouldn't be as practical and you're right on the costs, they do cost alot more.

I would drive a caliber SRT4 with winter wheels and tires in the snow however

·
Registered
361 Posts
As much as I love the look of the Challenger, the Caliber is better for me at this point in time. I didn't feel very comfortable putting over 30K into my first car purchase :/

·
Registered
102 Posts
when i finally decided to get a new car to replace my fading Scarlet, I wanted a new Mustang at first. I loved that car, from the body to the gauges, and the best part; that V8 growl!! Detroit never produced a sweeter sound IMO!! I thought about it for awhile, and my budget would have a heck of a time holding the mustang as far as fuel, insurance, payment(which would be high due to this is my credits starting point!!) I couldn't find a car that I liked that was in my price range, until my boss recommended the Caliber. I didn't think it was in my price range, so I never even glanced at it before. When I looked it over, I was in love with it! It suited more or less my every need! The Challenger IMO totally looks better than the mustang, and as far as owning one of those, it'll be a toy for me to look into a little later down the road...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The Great Mongo said:
when i finally decided to get a new car to replace my fading Scarlet, I wanted a new Mustang at first. I loved that car, from the body to the gauges, and the best part; that V8 growl!! Detroit never produced a sweeter sound IMO!!...
FYI ironically the engine clip you hear of the caliber (Black RT) in the anything but cute ad campaign fairy commercial is the Dodge V8... listen for it and you'll pick up that is no 4 cycl lol

The Great Mongo said:
The Challenger IMO totally looks better than the mustang...
According to this months motortrend the mustang is getting a facelift in 08 with only the roof remaining untouched... give Ford credit, they started the whole bandwagen that the Camaro, Challenger are jumping on lol

·
Registered
911 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
FYI ironically the engine clip you hear of the caliber (Black RT) in the anything but cute ad campaign fairy commercial is the Dodge V8... listen for it and you'll pick up that is no 4 cycl lol

You noticed that too huh! I kinda thought that was funny. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts