Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last night i went and looked at a Mazda3 HB. I was VERY impressed with this car. Sits lower, very nice interior, plus the car comes in Titanium Gray, which is about a perfect match for my Eclipse.

Im still up in the air about which one i want. both have their advantages over the other. One thing i really do like about the mazda over the dodge is mazda has the kinks worked out, and it has an extra year warrantee on the car.

I dunno, we shall see...

opinions from every...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the Cal is less expensive. by about $2100 for what i want between the two.
But there is negotiating room on the mazda, plus a better warrantee

Im still shopping, so i have no clue what ill do just yet.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
gsx rated98 said:
So, last night i went and looked at a Mazda3 HB. I was VERY impressed with this car. Sits lower, very nice interior, plus the car comes in Titanium Gray, which is about a perfect match for my Eclipse.

Im still up in the air about which one i want. both have their advantages over the other. One thing i really do like about the mazda over the dodge is mazda has the kinks worked out, and it has an extra year warrantee on the car.

I dunno, we shall see...

opinions from every...
That is natural being the Mazda 3 is not first year production.

Both cars a great, just comes down to what YOU want, not anyone else.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It kind of look's like you've already made your mind and decided on the Mazda

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Black_RT said:
It kind of look's like you've already made your mind and decided on the Mazda
well if you asked me two days ago id of definatly said im getting a caliber, so really, im not sure yet, still need to drive to to make a final decision

·
Banned
76 Posts
gsx rated98 said:
Yes, the Cal is less expensive. by about $2100 for what i want between the two.
But there is negotiating room on the mazda, plus a better warrantee

Im still shopping, so i have no clue what ill do just yet.
...and for the extra $2100 you get better quality materials and fit and finish as well.

I guess it's not too hard to make a compelling argument for the change of heart.

·
Banned
73 Posts
I was in the same position. I put a deposit on the dodge and then test drove the mazda3 hb. its like night and day. No wonder every review says the 3 is the best. Its fast, handles like a racecar, the hatch has utility, reliable. go with the mazda like I did. you wont regret it.

ps. I just hang out here sometimes to see what kind of threads I see .Im beginning to see more of these kind of threads and "i regret buying the dodge" threads. I expect to see more regret threads as time goes on and as people get beat by UPS trucks and mail trucks.:)

·
Registered
683 Posts
A few people where I work have Mazda 3's. They sit WAY too low for me. The Caliber has a bit more head room which I like.

I have heard the 'fit and finish' issues some mention with the Caliber. I do not have such issues. Seems to be mostly on the first few months production. Doors, hatch etc. all line up perfect on mine.

For about $1300 you can buy a Chrysler MaxiCare 6yr/85,000 mile warranty that covers just about everything except brakes and belts. Far more coverage than the Mazda's and still lower cost total.

A new body design vehicle will generally hold its resale value better than a design thats old.

I too looked at the Mazda 3 HB but opted for the Caliber. Got a fully loaded Caliber SXT for much less than the Mazda 3. Starting MSRP for the base model Mazda 3 is almost $18K per Mazda's website.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Buy the mazda and dissapear into the background of a thousand other cars per mile that look the same. Or! Standout in a Caliber, there is nothing else like it on the road.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Darnice said:
Buy the mazda and dissapear into the background of a thousand other cars per mile that look the same. Or! Standout in a Caliber, there is nothing else like it on the road.
AMEN!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry, the stand out on the road thing, ill pass on that part of it.
Looking different from everyone on the road is nice, but not only do the other cars notice you because your different, but so do the cops...
So, hidding in traffic is not always a bad thing.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Huff said:
A few people where I work have Mazda 3's. They sit WAY too low for me. The Caliber has a bit more head room which I like.

I have heard the 'fit and finish' issues some mention with the Caliber. I do not have such issues. Seems to be mostly on the first few months production. Doors, hatch etc. all line up perfect on mine.

For about $1300 you can buy a Chrysler MaxiCare 6yr/85,000 mile warranty that covers just about everything except brakes and belts. Far more coverage than the Mazda's and still lower cost total.

A new body design vehicle will generally hold its resale value better than a design thats old.

I too looked at the Mazda 3 HB but opted for the Caliber. Got a fully loaded Caliber SXT for much less than the Mazda 3. Starting MSRP for the base model Mazda 3 is almost $18K per Mazda's website.

I paid $18,300 for my 3. I got 2.3 with auto,power everything,6 disc changer and sun/moon roof. plus I had cash back from mazda. dont remember how much.

I think the sedan 3 blends in but the hatch is very sporty looking and is complemented on by all reviews. the caliber is looking more like a caravan every time I see it. I love tha magnum but the caliber is just too minivan looking. and those plastic strips? what were they thinking?

·
Registered
67 Posts
lebowski1, you don't neet to worry about it, your blended alreay and no one cares.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
gsx rated98 said:
Looking different from everyone on the road is nice, but not only do the other cars notice you because your different, but so do the cops...
I can see your point of view, i too am in the consideration phase for the SRT4 so have a little more time to ponder the benefits and dissadvantages of each model. Most recently I owned a Matrix XRS which was very versatile and generally pretty fun (180hp + a few mods) however the powertrain (clutch, tranny) combination isn't the stronges on the Matrix and many owners (myself included) have had the occasional warranty repair and given I'd much prefer something faster for my next car won't be buying a matrix again unless it gets refreshed big time.

Mazda is kinda the same, been out longer, more established like toyota with good fit and finish with the build quality issues in check as it is a more mature product and you can often negotiate a better price on models in a little less demand.

I will be looking at the Mazdaspeed 3 along with the SRT4 when they come out as well as a few others, but I can agree after going to see the inside of the Caliber last night i was dissapointed how much less space was inside for a vehicle that is just as larger (longer, taller, little narrower) and 300lbs heavier... i'll reserve judgment until test drives.

·
Registered
357 Posts
$2,100 buys a lot of extras for the Caliber :) I'll have racks, tow hitch, bike carrier and soon performance mods not to mention a better looking ride IMO. I like Mazdas too have owned 2 RX-7's in the past so not knocking the little company that can. I just like the distinctive Dodge better.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
gsx rated98 said:
What do you have to worry about if you did nothing wrong?:D:cool: I say let them pull me over, hey, not wasting my time...lol:D:cool::p

Its all personal preference, I like other car companies as well, so I can see where you are coming from.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The interior space of the Mazda 3 HB and the Caliber are nearly identicle. Almost all interior dimensions are almost the same. The Caliber has about 1" higher head room.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts