Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have a Jeep Compass, not Caliber, but this applies anyway...

I've changed my own oil for over 15 years now and enjoy it. Now I've got this new Compass and I'm at 4,500km. I'm almost ready to give it it's first oil change.

I am a bit hesitant to do it myself for one reason -- warranty coverage. I'd like to change the oil myself but I'm not going to do it if there's a chance that DCX could void my warranty down the road. I've got the 5 yr powertrain warranty and the last thing I want is to have a problem and then have the dealer deny a claim.

I've heard of Toyota denying claims like that, but this is my first DCX product since '93, so I don't know if they do that too.

Any thoughts, comments?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am doing all my own oil changes on my caliber...I just hold onto the reciepts, write everything in the maintenace book and write down the milage, date, what kind of oil and oil filter I used.

·
Registered
683 Posts
As others said, keep all your reciepts and make records of when you changed the oil.

Also keep in mind that if you do have a problem the law clearly states that it is the manufacture who MUST prove the failure was caused by a lack of oil changes or incorrect oil used. The burden of proof is on them. They cannot simply deny a warrantly claim simply because you dont have all your records. Having proper records just makes it tougher for them to try to deny.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I talked to my dealer and he told me the exact same thing, I am going to change my own oil also (when it's not cold outside haha)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Does not matter what filter you use as far as warranty issues go. However, if a Mopar filter fails there won't be a warranty claim issue to argue about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Swanny said:
OK, now for a follow-up question. Will it matter what oil filter I'm using? Technically I don't think that matters.

I know all about the different quality of filters, don't worry ;-)
Maybe mopar filters are more expensive but it will save you some headaches if the filter fails.

Just as an added note contact your local dealer and ask them what they think..

Some dealers if you ever have an issue will claim inproper instalation of filter or amount of oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called the dealer. A Mopar oil filter is only $5.72. That's the same price as a crappy filter from Canadian Tire or some other place. The dealer wants $34.99 for an oil change (CDN). 5W20 oil is $3.99/L. So it'll be $25.67 plus tax (=$28.49, a savings of about $10) if I do it myself. Plus there's no shop supplies charge, time waiting, etc.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Synthetic is great.....I always use it in all my cars. Mobil 1 makes a 5-20, and i'm sure others do too. Take a look at your local auto parts store to see what they have.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Swanny said:
I called the dealer. A Mopar oil filter is only $5.72. That's the same price as a crappy filter from Canadian Tire or some other place.
My dealer charged me $12!!

:eek:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
now here is one if you use synthetic oil do you still have to change every 5000km or you change now every 10000km and is this ok with the waranty????

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm gonna change mine every 3000 miles even with the synthetic...........unless mobil puts out a extended performance 5-20 oil. I hear you can go a little longer on the synthetics but why bother. It's obvious that the more frequent you change your oil, the cleaner the engine will be.......prolonging engine life. the amount of savings over the cars life by extening the mileage on an oil change is not as much as you think. In my opinion change it as specified in your manual or more frequent.......you cant lose then.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
EXcaliber said:
I'm gonna change mine every 3000 miles even with the synthetic...........unless mobil puts out a extended performance 5-20 oil. I hear you can go a little longer on the synthetics but why bother. It's obvious that the more frequent you change your oil, the cleaner the engine will be.......prolonging engine life. the amount of savings over the cars life by extening the mileage on an oil change is not as much as you think. In my opinion change it as specified in your manual or more frequent.......you cant lose then.
thanks ,cheers thomas

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just did my oil today....only took a few minutes and cost me $39.54 with a Mopar filter and 5 Qts. of mobil 1 5w-20(synthetic).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts