Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I traveled to Los Angeles / Hollywood yesterday and had no problems.

Got in the car this morning to go pick up my laundry from the laundromat, (2nd trip of the day) and the check engine light is on, and it dings once.

Tried restarting it several times, but to no avail.

WTF?? Any way to read the codes?

This is not cool, I don't even have 1000 miles on it yet! (972 to be precise)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, after cycling the ignition and taking the short trip, all is well. I tried the code cycle, and no codes came up, just the blank lines. So I imagine all is well, for now...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine did the same thing last weekend. I freaked that my baby broke....we checked the gas cap and it was a little loose after we'd just gotten gas and the manual said that could have had something to do with it. We tried restarting a couple of times and about 35 miles down the road we stopped to eat and when we got back in it was gone and hasn't been seen since.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My 2001 Grand Am had the same issue with the gas cap being loose. I had to reset the computer to get rid of it. It required turning the key forward and hitting the gas 3 times to the floor. But of course, General Mistakes (GM) is different than Dodge. ;)

·
Registered
901 Posts
You have to turn the gas cap to make 3 clicks. Used to be just 1. Not sure if this is in the manual (it's at home, I'm not). My salesman told me this at delivery. This apparently is a change for all Dodge vehicles, not just Caliber.

(yeah, a salesman, so take that info with a grain of salt!! LOL :p )

·
Registered
40 Posts
Salesman should have, at the time of delivery:

Showed you how to set the clock and program stations into memory, work all of the stereo functions, explian the ChillZone, show you the locations of all airbags, show you where to place the jack underneath the vehicle in the event that you have a flat, or at least offer to do so... explained all of the seating configuration functions, where to check oil, add washer fluid, offer a familiarization drive, show you how cruise control works, the locations of all cubbyholes and cupholders, operation of all HVAC controls... what "recric" does... wher the front and rear wiper controls are, how to turn on the fog lights, where the little flashlight thingy is... where the hook is to hang the filler cap whil you're putting gas in the car... (yes, there is one...) AND explain that the cap requires at least 2 clicks to ensure that it's properly closed... he should also have told you WHY you need to turn it at least 2 clicks (check engine light).

It's his/her job to do all of the above, in addition to everything else. If anything was left out, go back and request a "re-delivery" so that they can show you how anything you don't understand -works.

Did they call you at 2 days, 7 days, and 30 days to ensure that you were completely satisfied with the car? Were you informed of the Customer satisfaction survey that you were to be receiving in 30 days?

We have to remember a lot of stuff to be good salespeople...

·
Registered
381 Posts
heh... when I got my car, I knew more about the vehicle than anyone in the dealership... the salesperson was trying to figure out stuff I already knew about on the test drive ;) I know at the time, the dealer didn't even have brochures yet. Not surprising... I picked up my Caliber (which was the first at the dealership) in late Feb.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OUWxGuesser said:
heh... when I got my car, I knew more about the vehicle than anyone in the dealership... the salesperson was trying to figure out stuff I already knew about on the test drive ;) I know at the time, the dealer didn't even have brochures yet. Not surprising... I picked up my Caliber (which was the first at the dealership) in late Feb.
That was the way it was with me. The first thing I checked was the gas cap, which I'm pretty good about giving it a few clicks. Oh well, no harm done, and all is well, and now sitting at 1006 miles :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
It was funny when I went to pick up mine. My salesman was a cool guy, and while we were talking that day about the car, he actually said that I knew more about the car than he did! He said he should probably ask me a bunch of questions!! I told him it was because of this lovely little forum!!:D

·
Registered
506 Posts
you know it'd be good for a lot of these salesman to maybe pay us a visit over here at caliber forums... they might actually be able to make educated sales and assist their customers more... or even better idea... they should direct all their customer questions here and caliber forums can take over the world!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA ok i'm gonna stop drinking red bull now

·
Registered
40 Posts
mudstone said:
you know it'd be good for a lot of these salesman to maybe pay us a visit over here at caliber forums... they might actually be able to make educated sales and assist their customers more... or even better idea... they should direct all their customer questions here and caliber forums can take over the world!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA ok i'm gonna stop drinking red bull now
Well... there's at least 1 here.

·
Registered
901 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
(yeah, a salesman, so take that info with a grain of salt!! LOL :p )
Aw STG you know I was just messin' by saying that, right? (I hope.)

That was supposed to be an eye-rolling, tongue-in-cheek, playful reference to the fact that many many of us here had to educate our salespeople about the Caliber. (Not to mention, the misinformation on features and options that was rampant before dealers got trained.)

I'm sure this happens with ALL new vehicles, not just Caliber, and it's quite understandable (if one takes the time to see the other side) -- I'm sure you have plenty to do to sell the vehicles you already have, without spending extra time to learn all the nitty gritty details we owners (and owners-to-be, and enthusiasts) obsess over on a new vehicle that doesn't even stay on the lot very long.

You, and Steve from Windsor, and PAJeep, and (one other... m__?) -- it's awesome that you all are here on this forum. Your customers will surely benefit from the time you have invested here.

·
Registered
506 Posts
its true... honestly you are taking a WAAAAY more proactive aproach to selling cars by informing yourself and taking the time to learn... more than what is given to you... you are actually looking for more information to make more informed sales. i hope that it works out for you because i can tell you one thing. i would be more inclined to buy from an educated seller who is enthusiastic about the product he is selling vs hearing a lot of umm not sures or like responses... sheesh kathy why you gotta torture the guy cut him some slack lol j/k

·
Registered
59 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
Tried restarting it several times, but to no avail.
Are you saying that it wouldn't start after the light was on or that the light wouldn't go out when you restarted? If it wouldn't start, then it's definitely not the gas cap (that shouldn't put anything in limpin). If the light just stayed on than it could be a couple of different things. I'd still reccomend you take the car in to the dealership (unless your local dealership really stinks?) and tell them and make them pull codes. The ECU will still remember/store the code, so they can tell what happened. There's probably nothing wrong, but if there is, the sooner you report it to the dealer the better. Could be a simple ECU flash update to fix the problem.

·
Registered
506 Posts
yea i'm pretty sure they already have a TSB for the computers to fix some stuff.... at least i think that's what i was reading when i posted the TSBs off the web site i found

·
Registered
506 Posts
w00t no owners manual?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts