Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not, but my chill zone does not seem to be cold at all. If I am not mistaken, you pull it back towards you to open it? I am aware that it likes to close itself so I know to wedge it open with something so it will not close by itself. Do the air settings have to be in a certain configuration for it to work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
calibered said:
I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not, but my chill zone does not seem to be cold at all. If I am not mistaken, you pull it back towards you to open it? I am aware that it likes to close itself so I know to wedge it open with something so it will not close by itself. Do the air settings have to be in a certain configuration for it to work?
The chill zone is not intended to take a warm soda and make it cold, it is intended to keep a cold soda cool, hence not getting warm. Hopefully that helps..I think some people have a misconception about the chill zone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Axle

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kjguy_43 said:
The chill zone is not intended to take a warm soda and make it cold, it is intended to keep a cold soda cool, hence not getting warm. Hopefully that helps..I think some people have a misconception about the chill zone.
I know better than to expect it to cool a warm drink on a hot summer day but it does not seem to get any cooler than the lower glove box compartment. It just does not seem to be getting any cold air at all to me. And I almost always have my air set to recycle and on the coldest setting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
This thing doesn't get a lot of air flow to it. The vents push WAY harder than the little holes in the chill zone. I think its best for long trips. It's great to keep chilled stuff chilled, but if you want to actually bring the temp down on something, it definately takes awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Honestly, I just like the insert so I can store 20oz bottles easily while traveling. I'll load up 20oz water bottles like ammo when I do long distance trips ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Yea I agree it is only good for long trips.

Mine barely gets cold either.

I plan on "supplementing" it with a little gel ice pack for long trips.

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
I agree that people are expecting to much out of it. All that I wanted out of it and all that I feel like I am getting is for my drink to stay colder than it would sitting on the floor or in a cup holder. Anything above that is for a fridge to do.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Axle

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
People expect so much out of it because of the way it was advertised. When I first got it I had the thought that it was going to "chill" drinks. They tricked me well though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
calibur said:
People expect so much out of it because of the way it was advertised. When I first got it I had the thought that it was going to "chill" drinks. They tricked me well though.
Very true statement..this is the biggest highlight on one of the commercials. People tend to believe everything they see right away. I must admit I was fooled into that thinking also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
I am sorry that you were both fooled but at the same time you should probably research a little when buying something as expensive as a new car. I don't mean that to be rude and I am not trying to pick at you, but we all know that commercials aren't the best sources of information on how something really is. If they were then we wouldn't have so much fun reading the fine print under them. :) I do agree that Dodge is playing it up pretty good though. I think the Chill Zone and the fold-down speakers of Musicgate are nice, but not as cool as they are making them out to be. I personally think that the L.E.D. Flashlight is much cooler then both of those items. That is an idea that is truely usefull in a variety of ways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
SXTANDME said:
I personally think that the L.E.D. Flashlight is much cooler then both of those items. That is an idea that is truely usefull in a variety of ways.
I have used that flashlight more times for me to remember.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
cali_stang said:
I have used that flashlight more times for me to remember.
I love it. You never have to wonder if your flashlight has batteries or worry that you forgot to put it back in the car. I am constantly amazed by how bright it is as well. Just can't rave enough about it.:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SXTANDME said:
I am sorry that you were both fooled but at the same time you should probably research a little when buying something as expensive as a new car.
I would agree with you but when you are dealing with a brand new model, your sources of information are much more limited. The commercials become a little more important to ones decisions in times like this.

I, however, did not buy my caliber because of the chill zone. It was way down on my list of likes but it would be nice if it worked. I saw in one advertisement that it will keep drinks at a 45 degree temperature if the drinks are already chilled. My chill zone will not even come close to this claim. I will more than likely just use this area for extra storage unless someone finds a decent fix to get it colder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
It's not THAT cold, but I noticed that if I put a bottle or two of rather warm water in there and drank out of it a little later, it did cool it down enough that it was refreshing. I just automatically keep some bottles in there - I like it for that. Then, if I forget to bring something to drink and need a slug of something quick, I have cool, if not cold, water to drink. Try it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Okay......... couple of issues here :

1.) Chilling the Chill Zone......... As stated in the manual, the quickest way to get the temperature down in car is to set it to recirculate. That way it's cooling cooler air every time it takes a gulp, thus reaching a lower temperature earlier. Beter than constantly trying to cool from 80 or 90 F down to 45 F. Also chilling the soda's or water before putting them in IS a good option.

2.) Chill Zone Sliding Door....... This can stay closed. You pull it forward in the "Open" position and, believe me, before you close the glove compartment it's dropped back in the "Closed" position and certainly won't "Chill". This can be corrected by applying pieces of Velcro to the glove box ceiling which will hold the Chill Zone door open (strips of about 2 inches either side of the runners).

It's worth trying. It worked for me.

If this has already been addressed, Sorry.

Dave.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
We did one better on our Caliber for getting the Chill Zone to work better. rather than just trying to get the sliding panel to stay in one position, we just removed it all together. I don't know of a time when I would actually need it to be "off" so removing the panel was easier than trying to put a paperclip in it, or going and buying velcro. plus, with the panel out, the actual holes the air comes out are much bigger than the little 1" squares in the sliding panel. Going to look at it a little more to see if there is a way to open it up for more airflow, but by just removing the door, it helped quite a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
froglove said:
We did one better on our Caliber for getting the Chill Zone to work better. rather than just trying to get the sliding panel to stay in one position, we just removed it all together. I don't know of a time when I would actually need it to be "off" so removing the panel was easier than trying to put a paperclip in it, or going and buying velcro. plus, with the panel out, the actual holes the air comes out are much bigger than the little 1" squares in the sliding panel. Going to look at it a little more to see if there is a way to open it up for more airflow, but by just removing the door, it helped quite a bit.

how exactly did you go about removing the panel, just prying it off?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top