Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ohhh so maybe thats why there are delays in some orders? :) that would give me alot of hope that mine will be on time. I live in Newengland...as of lately it seems to be the land of the SUV. The dealership i ordered mine from had TONS of SUVs in stock. Almost no cars at all.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Was at my dealer this weekend and he had 3 cars on the lot.. one Caliber SXT out front, one Magnum and one Viper inside the showroom and about a zillion trucks....

·
Registered
901 Posts
My dealer has rows upon rows of Chargers, Magnums, and trucks. I never ever saw any Stratuses on the lot, very few minivans. They get on average 2 Calibers every other week.

I suppose different dealers "specialize" in certain vehicles? (which is why it pays to shop around!!!)

·
Registered
567 Posts
either way, no one makes that good of money on small cars like the caliber. Trucks are what keep them in business. i think they make like 2 grand on a small car and trucks they make double digits i think not really sure.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've heard that sometimes dealers get little bribes here and there. For example a dealer may get something like an extra allocation to a Caliber if they take a dinosaur Durango or Jeep Commander.

Dodge can't get rid of their inventories because they were stupid and pushed the HEMI engine and big vehicle size when gas is $3.00+/gal and discontinued all of their fuel efficient vehicles (Neon, Stratus, Stratus Coupe).

·
Registered
173 Posts
srtman said:
either way, no one makes that good of money on small cars like the caliber. Trucks are what keep them in business. i think they make like 2 grand on a small car and trucks they make double digits i think not really sure.
Unless they are selling the car over sticker, or preloading with accessories, they are making nowhere close to $2,000 on Caliber. As for trucks, it is true they are usually higher margin, I can assure you they aren't making much more than on a Caliber, and in most cases less.

·
Registered
173 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
I've heard that sometimes dealers get little bribes here and there. For example a dealer may get something like an extra allocation to a Caliber if they take a dinosaur Durango or Jeep Commander.

Dodge can't get rid of their inventories because they were stupid and pushed the HEMI engine and big vehicle size when gas is $3.00+/gal and discontinued all of their fuel efficient vehicles (Neon, Stratus, Stratus Coupe).
HEMI engine in a Charger/300 gets 25/26 mpg on the highway, and the trucks get 18/19 mpg. I wouldn't say that is bad at all. As for discontinuing "all" of their fuel efficient vehicles (Neon, Stratus, Stratus Coupe), they have the Jeep Patriot, Dodge Caliber, all new Sebring Sedan/Convertible, Grand Cherokee Diesel, Jeep Compass, Dodge Nitro, Dodge Stratus Sedan replacement, and numerous other products coming that all get good gas mileage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
TommyLee said:
As for discontinuing "all" of their fuel efficient vehicles (Neon, Stratus, Stratus Coupe), they have the Jeep Patriot, Dodge Caliber, all new Sebring Sedan/Convertible, Grand Cherokee Diesel, Jeep Compass, Dodge Nitro, Dodge Stratus Sedan replacement, and numerous other products coming that all get good gas mileage.
dodge nitro and fuel efficient are two things that dont go together,

·
Registered
269 Posts
Heh, the PT Cruiser never gets any love for talking about MPG ...

But, I think "good gas mileage" is subjective depending on the driver. Most people I know consider "good" mileage to be over 30... and in some cases of those Civic EX and Corolla S drivers, they want 40 mpg on highway (remember, these are C-segment cars) before they consider it good.

It just seems a bit empty/shallow when Dodge says they put out a Caliber that gets 30mpg highway when a Matrix XR gets 34... and even a Malibu Maxx (that's a 3.5 V6 with more hp) gets 22/30. An Altima with the VQ35 motor gets 20/29 (and that's with 250hp). 29 or 30 mpg is actually a pretty low number.

In my opinion, 30mpg highway is just barely adequate in terms of mileage. VW's new Rabbit barely top this (interestingly the Golf and Jetta with the 2.0T get better mileage)... but VW isn't talking about their great gas mileage unless they bring up their TDI.

Also, if you talk to people outside of Detroit (by outside of Detroit, I mean to generalize the overall USA population that doesn't share the general pro-GM-Ford-DCX mentality of those in Detroit), they don't believe in MDS. Yes, they know those crazy hillbillies talk about it all the time in the Dodge ads, but they don't believe it works. Most everyone I know has rode in a Civic that got near 40mpg or over 40mpg. Very few people have witnessed a 5.7L Charger getting 25mpg... so they are resigned to thinking a Hemi-Charger will get you 20mpg tops. Assuming buyers out there are stupid isn't going to work for Dodge selling cars... so it's just the stigma of "big motor = bad" at play... and DCX is in a pinch now that their clever marketing of 3 years ago is coming back to snag them :(

A Mercedes B-class with the 2 liter diesel gets 47mpg. Now that's good gas mileage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats what i had been told since day one, thats why it is easier to get a Caliber quickly from a larger dealership (ie 5 star) b/c they are able to take on the extra stock. Its a give and take relationship, if the dealership is willing to take on the bigger/more expensive/less popular vehicles, than they will get more calibers...

·
Registered
31 Posts
TommyLee said:
HEMI engine in a Charger/300 gets 25/26 mpg on the highway, and the trucks get 18/19 mpg. I wouldn't say that is bad at all. As for discontinuing "all" of their fuel efficient vehicles (Neon, Stratus, Stratus Coupe), they have the Jeep Patriot, Dodge Caliber, all new Sebring Sedan/Convertible, Grand Cherokee Diesel, Jeep Compass, Dodge Nitro, Dodge Stratus Sedan replacement, and numerous other products coming that all get good gas mileage.
TommyLee, you're right as far as the quoted figures on the window sticker are concerned. But really, TL, when was the last time you drove your HEMI or whatever you're driving, down the Interstate at a steady 55 mph - which is what you'd have to do to get those milage figures? And if you do drive like that, why did you buy a HEMI in the first place?

Why in the World did Chrysler not design and build a decent replacement for the NEON? With the success of the PT Cruiser, D/C put a sick turkey Caliber in a market already full of healthy chicken PT's? Are they afraid to challenge Honda's Civic? Can't say as I blame them, but, come on, folks! Where's that spirit of German/American confidence? Not in Detroit, or Stuttgart, for that matter, I suppose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd also like to know why people would actually wait to get a Caliber, when there are several cars in the same catagory on the market that have consistantly tested better in almost all departments, according to recent published road tests? Brand loyalty is what allows car companies to build cheap. They know that they don't have to invest in modern technology or styling because their loyal customers will buy whatever crap they put out. Want proof? Two words: "HARLEY DAVIDSON"

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Lord Plye Wood said:
I'd also like to know why people would actually wait to get a Caliber, when there are several cars in the same catagory on the market that have consistantly tested better in almost all departments, according to recent published road tests? Brand loyalty is what allows car companies to build cheap. They know that they don't have to invest in modern technology or styling because their loyal customers will buy whatever crap they put out. Want proof? Two words: "HARLEY DAVIDSON"
very simple everyone can own a neon ,but we don't want a neon we want a caliber ,:D does that explain,cheers Thomas

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Lord Plye Wood said:
... Brand loyalty is what allows car companies to build cheap. They know that they don't have to invest in modern technology or styling because their loyal customers will buy whatever crap they put out. Want proof? Two words: "HARLEY DAVIDSON"
As a long-time Harley Davidson owner - and a Caliber owner - I have to strongly disagree with that statement.

Harley Davidson HEAVILY invests in "modern technology", and they totally amaze me with how much their employees from the "top dogs" to the "common factory workers" and retailers seek and react to input from their current and prospective customers to style bikes and gear that responds to what is desired and reasonable to market to reach all types of persons.

I've toured Harley production facilities, every aspect of their products is top quality, they take pride in it, and they stand behind it.

When I attend practically any organized Harley-sanctioned or sponsored event, there are representatives ranging from top officials who are family-member direct descendents of the founders to standard corporate and production workers there to openly seek and discuss what people like/don't like and want/don't want. Harley has a program where workers and supervisors can and do go on rotational tours of events - such as the ones who staff the Harley Demonstration Team that travels to various motorcycle rallies with demo bikes of all models that folks can take for test drives. The advantages and reasons for having these "in-the-trenches" common factory workers on these tours are mainly three-fold: they can explain any aspect of the bike to potential customers with expertise, they gain direct input from the actual/potential customers, and the bikers themselves get to communicate directly with the folks who built their bikes at any/every stage of production.

A few decades ago, I would have agreed with your remarks about Harley - because they were absolutely true. But not in the recent years at all.

The same was true about American-made cars until recently. I can see efforts by the American auto makers to return to quality products, and for the customer to perceive that the workers are once again proud to manufacture a quality product that is what the customer wants and deserves - instead of the long period we saw instead of poor-quality vehicles being produced by workers who went on strike every year demanding raises that were alone more than many workers across the US made in hourly wages.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've always thought that when we hit the year 2000 model DCX should have put a new design bumper on the front & back, change the name and keep running it until they were ready to change over to the Caliber. After all by then none of the colors for the Neon were neon colors anyway. They could have named it Dejavu and maybe could have sparked enough orders to start the 2nd shift back up and save the money spent on the JobBank. Oh well, who am I other than just another peasant in a big corp. :)

Kind of like the JEEP Compass NOT built standard with a compass in it. :(

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm at a loss for words.... give me a minute. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts