Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people use to clean the interior plastics such as center armrest, doorpanels etc? I have tried several cleaners from the auto parts stores with poor results. The kick panels have shoe marks that just dont want to come clean. I'm afraid to use anything too strong for fear of drying out the plastic.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Have you tried using some simple green, and then putting some sort of protectant on. I don't care much for Armorall, but something like that after the cleaning.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been curious about getting sneaker marks out of the door jam plastics as well. I use Maguire's #40 Vinyl & Rubber cleaner, does a decent job, but doesn't take heavy marks out.

Simple green and a small scrub brush might do the trick.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simple green often does get dirt and grime off. However, its rather destructive to plastics and vinyl. It will rot many plastics quickly. Need to find something more gentle that gets the dirt out. I might look at RV cleaners. There are some made for various plastics on RV's and for specific types of grime. Maybe something will work.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I use Mr Clean erasor pads,they work really well and so
far I have not seen any detrimental effects from using
them on plastic nor any of the other materials in
my Caliber.

·
Registered
188 Posts
bigtsr said:
I use Mr Clean erasor pads,they work really well and so
far I have not seen any detrimental effects from using
them on plastic nor any of the other materials in
my Caliber.
Ditto, Magic Eraser here too.

·
Registered
687 Posts
GREAT tips. I asked my wife if she had heard of the magic eraser or Mr. Clean eraser pads. She said yes, they are GREAT! She said she had some Dollar store of brand called Quick Eraser. I Just tried it and yes, it worked GREAT! Just use damp and use it ALL OVER....

Thanks again EVERYONE! :cool:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I guess ill be buying one today when i go shopping. Thanks for the tip guys-n-gals!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
GREAT tips. I asked my wife if she had heard of the magic eraser or Mr. Clean eraser pads. She said yes, they are GREAT! She said she had some Dollar store of brand called Quick Eraser. I Just tried it and yes, it worked GREAT! Just use damp and use it ALL OVER....

Thanks again EVERYONE! :cool:
i tryt that yesterday and woow ,so easy and no scrubing needet ,thanks for the tip ,Cheers Thomas

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coolness! Will have to try it.

Now how about cleaning the headliner, sun visors, sunroof shade panel etc. I gotta learn to keep my hands washed well before driving my Caliber!! I have a few dirty finger prints I gotta clean.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Huff I had the same problem,checked tire pressure then touched the
headliner.Again MR CLEAN to the rescue,diluted the liquid and used a firm
sponge,then wiped with clear water and same type sponge.
WALA all gone!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Use at your own risk, I have not yet tried myself but I've been told rubbing alcohol for cleaning spots on the headliner. Mopar also makes a cleaner you can get from the dealer that I have used at work and I know it works on the carpet well. I can get the part number if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
ok im not a big fan of armorall eather but i bought a can of CLEANING ONLY wipes. Man on the center armrest, I could have done a advertisement for them. amazing results. Do not use on the center stack trim.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have found that carpet stain remover and a small sponge, preferably the dishwashing type (yellow and soft on one side, green and abrasive on the other) works great.

Also, every time I take my car to the dealer they screw something up, and their dirty mechanics get oily greasy fingerprints everywhere. One time I counted a dozen of'em and two or three were on the headliner!!!!!

I thought I was screwed, but the manager personally came out with this blue can of something that smells like spray paint, and the grease magically came out of the seats, plastics and the headliner. I'll try to find out what that junk was, everyone should have some.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
What I use to clean interior plastics is GOJO Natural Orange Pumice Hand Cleaner. Apply with a dry shop towel. After it's clean then wipe clean with a damp rag. I even use it to clean around the house and is great for garden tools as well. You can use a plastic type protectant or even baby powder (talc) in certain situations if needed.

Silver SXT Sport, 2.0 CVT, Musicgate w/ add on Tweeters, Intake & Exhaust Mods, Rear Spoiler, Tints, Short Antenna, Blacked Out Treatments, MOPAR logos

·
Registered
574 Posts
2 of my all time favorites are Tuff Stuff, and Super clean. I cleaned the whole interior out of a couple of used cars I have bought over the years with TS. The Formula was DIRTY when I bought it as was the 6000 I have and they both got cleaned out with Super Clean. The carpets and seats and all. Headliners I havent found anything that doesnt make the covering come down yet though. I think the trick there is NOT to use too much of what ever cleaner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts