Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It dropped to -16°F here on Saturday evening according to the thermometer in the Caliber. Went to let the dog in through the hatch so we could leave, then couldn't get the hatch latched. Took maybe 10 tries of shutting it just right to get it to stay latched. Problem seems to go away when it warms up outside, but it's terribly annoying. Maybe it needs adjusted?

Also, the transmission (CVT) seems to hesitate a bit when it's bitterly cold when accelerating after a turn. It kicked down a lot rougher than usual. Kinda spooked us!

Anyone else have these issues in cold weather? On the plus side, the heated seats were VERY nice ;)

Chanda

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Chanda said:
It dropped to -16°F here on Saturday
Wow, that's cold! It's only gotten down to -5?F or so here. ...all due to global warming of course:p

I haven't noticed any cold weather issues... yet. My poor 93 Nissan truck though is having a tough time (the tranny gets stuck, the brake peddle is hard to push, steering hard to turn... anything that moves is sticky and slow).

·
Registered
294 Posts
We've been in a minor freeze, -17C or colder for the past few days, -20 and below a 5am, no issues to speak off (including hatch).
The Caliber spent the night/day in -25C or colder today, started in one shot, but drove like a loaded pig until things warmed up, no different than my truck when it gets this cold.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Battery was dead after -30F (only got the click o death). TOok it inside and let it warm up and it started right away. One issue I have is a sort of rattling noise when turning if the car isn't warmed up all the way. It also tends to whistle lightly (some air hose I'm sure) when it gets below -10F or so.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow.....-16. I wish it was that warm this morning.

Hit -30C at 0530....windchill brought it down to -45C.

Seems as though the batteries on this batch of cars from Daimler are a bit on the weak side. No real cold cranking amps at all.

I plug the Caliber in most nights and it still has a hard time turning over, especially these past few days.

Think I'll be going in soon and demand a replacement battery.

Regards

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I tryed to get a replacement battery too but they didnt want to deal with it unless there was an actual problem with it. (started fine for them of course inside their warm garage after the mid day warmup) Im still bedating grabbing an optima for it but i might just use a duralast.

·
Registered
253 Posts
no problems starting but how are they in a foot or more of snow//?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would love to test mine in the deep stuff. It will come down to your tires though in that much snow. How well the tread cleans and how much bite they give in the soft stuff. Im willing to bet that in heavy wet snow thats over 1' you will have issues due to ground clerance.. possibly end up high centered with weight off the tires allowing them to spin.. even all 4 in an R/T AWD. I held onto my van partially for that reason.

·
Registered
253 Posts
the stuff we get up hear you cant even make a snow ball with. i use to have a 02 neon and we hade 2 ft of the stuff late october never did get stuck. inles a e brake went vary bad

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
stays good and cold for you guys. Here it will be comming down with lower air temps over freezing so its compacting on the ground. Ends up nearly ice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, this strayed a bit off topic :) Car starts and runs just fine in the cold. It was above zero today finally and the hatch opened and closed just fine. I think maybe just the bitter cold got to the latch somehow. And the hesitation in the CVT is gone now that it's above zero, too. I have gotten to play in the snow in the Caliber. AWD + ESP with traction control is tons of fun ;) Turn it off and it's even more fun! :D

Chanda

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ok, I've had a few problems that all started once it got really cold. Its been around -5 up to 15 F lately here (southern tier NY). All of a sudden, some intermittent things started happening.

1. Wipers will be working fine and then all of a sudden stop right in the middle of the windshield. Then you gotta keep playing with the on/off thingy to get them back all the way down. Only does this once in a while.

2. Steering wheel mounted audio controls (part of MusicGate) dont work like they should. Examples, if I push the right button up to turn up the volume, it will sometimes go down, or go up as I push the button and then go back down 2 clicks. The channel advance button sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It will advance to the next preset one time and then either just to the next station or jump 2 presets when you press it again to try and advance to the next preset.

3. High beams sometimes won't come off. I have to turn the lights off completely and then turn them back on and then everything works fine.

Like I said, these are all intermittent things that JUST started happening this week when it got really cold. The motor runs fine, the CVT operates like it always does, Sirius works great, etc. So everything else works great. I think I'll wait and see when it warms up a bit if these things go away. Hopefully within the next week or two we'll be back to "normal" temperatures. This weather kinda makes me wish I got heated seats. Hehe....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live up the arctic and have been driving all winter, we have had snow since early October. The only problem I have had is squeaking creeking suspension. Car starts great at -35c without being plugged in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
SteelBlue said:
I live up the arctic and have been driving all winter, we have had snow since early October. The only problem I have had is squeaking creeking suspension. Car starts great at -35c without being plugged in.
good to hear - 30 tonight with the wind chill

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm having a really bad issue. My transmission whines non-stop. I live about 30 mins from my Chanda and we have had bitter cold. It's consistantly been -12 through -7 everymorning when I leave. My trans whines all day long. Even when the motor heats up.

I have scheduled a service to look at it tomorrow... and they are telling me that they don't have a loaner vehicle to give me... I thought for sure that I got the loaner service with my extended power train warranty that I purchased. I'm calling DC to verify today. But I don't have anything else to drive but what's in my sig...and ugh... with snow that can be down right dangerous!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That sucks alot. Hopefully they will provide you with a rental since they dont have a loaner.

·
Registered
294 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
Ok, I've had a few problems that all started once it got really cold. Its been around -5 up to 15 F lately here (southern tier NY). All of a sudden, some intermittent things started happening.

I think I'll wait and see when it warms up a bit if these things go away. Hopefully within the next week or two we'll be back to "normal" temperatures. ....
even if the problems go away, I'd still mention it to the dealer at the next service call. gremlins only get worse, they never leave on their own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts