Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Came home yesterday with the Cali showing an outside temp of -25C! Last night, just before retiring, the temp was -28C!!:eek: This is definitely colder than normal as -10 is typically our low extreme.

A couple of Caliber observations. I haven't used the block heater thinking the cold would last only a day. I think I may dig it out if this doesn't change shortly. The TPM is flashing low pressure warning on all four wheels. I noticed this once before when we went down to -10C or so a week or two ago. After it warmed up a little, the TPM alert went away. TPM is showing 192-204kpa. Normally its around 254kpa.

Our older diesel Rabbit would not start this morning even with the block heater plugged in. An earlier thread on cold starting had people concerned about the Caliber's temp extremes. I'm glad to report, after sitting in -27C all night, without block heater, the Caliber started with just a few cranks.:)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Glad to hear TechMan.

Where exactly is the block heater cable located?

While I don't need it yet with close to +50 out there today, the cold weather is on the way.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I found mine on the right hand side of the engine compartment, beteween the fuse box and the strut.

·
Registered
267 Posts
We've been down to zero F and I've plugged mine in both nights, the next morning it started as if it were warm out. Plus the heater was warm pretty quickly after that. I'm impressed!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I trust you guys/gals are not plugging in the block heater overnight. Big waste of power $$$ if you are. Get a heavy duty timer set for 2-3 hours before you have to leave.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oldguy said:
Glad to hear TechMan.

Where exactly is the block heater cable located?

While I don't need it yet with close to +50 out there today, the cold weather is on the way.

Hey Oldguy..somebody screwed up and gave us your crappy weather!! And we don't want it! Please come and pick up all this white stuff and give us back our rain.
Thank you. :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
It's been my experience from years of living in Alaska that, unless you have a diesel, you really don't need to plug a vehicle in until the temps hit about -10F. If the temps get much more colder than that, then a block heater alone isn't really enough, you'll also need a heater for the battery. But that's from living in an area where -30F to -60F are not uncommon in the winter.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It's -6C in Nebraska at the moment. Thankfully I just finished putting up the Christmas lights this evening (nearly froze my hands off).

I always run synthetic oil in my cars. That helps a lot with cold-starts.

·
Registered
644 Posts
we had 35 degrees F today in vegas... how odd is that. caliber heater takes forever to blow hot air, and for the first block of travel is a little sputtery in acceleration... those are my only complaints. i dont think id ever need a block warmer here, it never snows or anything.

·
Registered
432 Posts
To Amandyke.

According to the brochure I've got the block heater is standard equipment on all Caliber models.

To .50

Don't cry to me about a little snow. All I hear from my folks, who live in Vancouver, is that they are picking oranges in February. So no sympathy from me.

To Techman.

Thanks located the plug at the drivers side firewall so now just ned to wait for cold weather.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oldguy said:
To Amandyke.

According to the brochure I've got the block heater is standard equipment on all Caliber models.
If I remeber correctly it is standard for Canadian Calibers, but optional for US Calibers.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Tigerr said:
If I remeber correctly it is standard for Canadian Calibers, but optional for US Calibers.
your right i just callt my dealer because i could not find the cabel and he told me where it is and yes it is standart on all calibers sold in canada,cheers thomas

·
Registered
775 Posts
tupmeier said:
but i still can't find it ,can someone post a pick of where it is please
This thread has a picture of the cord's location: CLICK HERE

Look between the fuse box and the fender:
Orange_RT_FWD said:
The cord starts behind the fuse box area in the top right and gets stuffed in a small area just to the right of the fuse box.

(go to the thread/post to enlarge the picture)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the info. But I think that'll be the end of our cold snap. We get one once every... oh... 5 or 6 years... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
775 Posts
A little off topic:

kdogg,

Your info says you're in Victoria BC. Great place, beautiful scenery. My wife and I honeymooned in Victoria back in 1989. Rode the ferry (Victoria Clipper) from Seattle and spent some time in Victoria. I know Butchart Gardens is kind of a tourist hot spot, but man that was a beautiful and romantic place to visit the first few days after our wedding.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled topic.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Michael K. said:
A little off topic:

kdogg,

Your info says you're in Victoria BC. Great place, beautiful scenery. My wife and I honeymooned in Victoria back in 1989. Rode the ferry (Victoria Clipper) from Seattle and spent some time in Victoria. I know Butchart Gardens is kind of a tourist hot spot, but man that was a beautiful and romantic place to visit the first few days after our wedding.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled topic.
Butchart's may be the tourist hot spot, but we still go. The fireworks display in the summer, and the Christmas lights this time of year are unbelievable.

I too, return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts