Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newbie dude here, ordered my R/T last Friday, should take "40-45 days" but I won't be too surprised if it takes longer from what I've read here. I'm so excited....BUT... here's a question that someone may have an answer to.

I ordered the Steel Blue, and got a call from my dealer today saying that Chrysler asked me to pick a different color. Any idea why? I see a new Steel Blue R/T here in the forum.. Is it a color only available in Canada perhaps?

I chose the silver and I'm happy with that color, just wondered why they denied the Steel Blue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Bummer for me but I'll get over it I'm sure once I get to drive it every day hehe

·
Registered
311 Posts
RadioDude said:
Cool. Bummer for me but I'll get over it I'm sure once I get to drive it every day hehe
You will definitely enjoy the car and you can imagine that it's actually STEEL BLUE even though it's silver. Seriously though, if that's the only compromise, then that's a good one. The funny thing is that when sitting in the driver's seat, you don't see much of the exterior paint-job....so, drive and enjoy. HOWEVER, I am anxious to hear WHY an ordered vehicle could not spec'd the way the customer wanted it to be. We'll have to wait for someone with the knowledge to come along and provide an answer...otherwise, I'd suggest you poke at your salesman to give you an acceptable answer....if you want one.

Tyke

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm getting a great deal, just over 20k and the only things I didn't choose were leather, upgraded stereo (thanks to you guys I realized the issue with the AUX jack and decided to keep the existing deck with MusicGate. I got a 17" widescreen laptop, so I can turn the back of the car into a mini drive in LOL), no smokers package and no compass/tire pressure group.

My dealer said Chrysler asked him to call me back and change the color. He didn't give a reason as to why but when we were checking option boxes on his computer, the Steel Blue wasn't on this screen either so he wrote it down and called it in. Apparently... well I don't want to speculate but maybe that dealership in LA got the last of the paint in the bucket hehe.. J/K.

The next "40-45" days are going to take forever haha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You know what, when I ordered my car I got black and the dealer told me they had stopped making black cars for like 3 weeks earlier into production because of inconsistancies in the paint. I am not sure if he was talking about the caliber specifically but I wonder if it is the same thing with the steel blue color. I doubt they would pull that color completely, it's cool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
RadioDude said:
Hi all, newbie dude here, ordered my R/T last Friday, should take "40-45 days" but I won't be too surprised if it takes longer from what I've read here. I'm so excited....BUT... here's a question that someone may have an answer to.

I ordered the Steel Blue, and got a call from my dealer today saying that Chrysler asked me to pick a different color. Any idea why? I see a new Steel Blue R/T here in the forum.. Is it a color only available in Canada perhaps?

I chose the silver and I'm happy with that color, just wondered why they denied the Steel Blue.
When I was going to buy mine I was originally going to get an R/T but they then said they weren't producing many of those yet and couldn't find one at this time.. I had no problem getting the SXT and adding some of what I wanted since I didn't need everything the R/T had anyways. THere is something about that color that makes it nearly impossible to find. They kept trying to push off the Orange on on me and I refused to budge. I wasn't about getting something I didn't want when I knew what I did want was out there. Mine is supposed to be hear end of the week but I'm not holding my breath after hearing some of these stories.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll need to check out mine. I have a Steel Blue SE....I've had it for a month now... When I bought it the dealer only had it in about 12 hours...this is good to know.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey RadioDude, LOVE the Kasey Kahne thing. :) That's one reason I ordered Inferno Red. The Kasey stickers are just sitting here waiting to be put on when I get my caliber. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I've been following Kasey since his first year in the Cup series. Mostly because he's from the Pacific NW (I grew up in MT, live in northern Idaho now). I have a Kahne license plate frame on my black '96 Isuzu Rodeo, I'll probably transfer it to the Caliber when I get mine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
RadioDude said:
Yeah I've been following Kasey since his first year in the Cup series. Mostly because he's from the Pacific NW (I grew up in MT, live in northern Idaho now). I have a Kahne license plate frame on my black '96 Isuzu Rodeo, I'll probably transfer it to the Caliber when I get mine.
First I want to say hello to a fellow Idahoan, even though you are not a native ;)

Next is Congrats on the Caliber, sucks about the color compromise.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
This is weird!
Dan, can you help the forum out again!:D
Very interesting!
Sure thing,

Colors are always a touchy subject because offerings can change rapidly and without notice. It is possible for one color to be offered and then suddenly discontinued.

Like it was mentioned before if there is a supplier issue or the paint supplied does not meet quality standards it is rejected. Situations arise where if a color is not blended correctly they will not have enough materials to paint the remainder of the vehicles and thus some will have to be changed. Due to the nature of "Just in Time" manufacturing, they already know they won’t have enough paint to do the vehicle sitting on order. The dealership ordering system was updated to reflect this. This only seems to happen on the specialty colors.

A similar thing happened on the LX line with "Cool Vanilla" color, it happens every once in awhile but not very often. This color may be offered at a later date but they might not have an ETA.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:
Sure thing,

Colors are always a touchy subject because offerings can change rapidly and without notice. It is possible for one color to be offered and then suddenly discontinued.

Like it was mentioned before if there is a supplier issue or the paint supplied does not meet quality standards it is rejected. Situations arise where if a color is not blended correctly they will not have enough materials to paint the remainder of the vehicles and thus some will have to be changed.

A similar thing happened on the LX line with "Cool Vanilla" color, it happens every once in awhile but not very often. This color may be offered at a later date but they might not have an ETA.

Dan

Thanks Dan! Do you think they would replace it with another color or just leave it off the list until they can (if they can) produce more it again?

I personally would like to see a "Graphite" color or even Electric Blue on this car!

Thanks again!

-Joe-

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just got back from Charlotte Sunday. I got to see Kasey wreck Mark Martin AND Kyle Busch. Score! :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info, and it makes sense. I would rather have my second color choice that meets standards, rather than my first color choice and some potential issues..

And Beth, you rock! I have yet to attend a real race, but I got my TV on every weekend and my PitCommand on my computer haha! Plus my buddy has an HD set so I go and hijack his place on Sundays.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts