Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo, I was one of the "lucky" people to experience the pinging and other abnormalies involving the exhaust. Well, car went in this morning, problem solved. Service manager just called me to say, "insulator replaced, computer flashed, this car runs stronger than ANY 2.0 on our lot" Great, I'll have to wait til tomorrow to see for myself. *crosses fingers*. There's a TSB (according to dealer) for moaning or pinging sounds during acceleration of 25 miles per hr and above, and after car engine is shut off. Called for replacing the "insulator/resonator".

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
Sooooo, I was one of the "lucky" people to experience the pinging and other abnormalies involving the exhaust. Well, car went in this morning, problem solved. Service manager just called me to say, "insulator replaced, computer flashed, this car runs stronger than ANY 2.0 on our lot" Great, I'll have to wait til tomorrow to see for myself. *crosses fingers*. There was a TSB for moaning or pinging sounds during acceleration of 25 miles per hr and above, and after car engine is shut off. Called for replacing the "insulator/resonator".
Awesome and good to hear!:) Let us know if you "notice/feel" a difference with the Computer Flash.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
There's a TSB (according to dealer) for moaning or pinging sounds during acceleration of 25 miles per hr and above, and after car engine is shut off. Called for replacing the "insulator/resonator".
Good. I hope dealers nation wide have access to that TSB because my Caliber does that too (knocking or as the dealer put it, "light detonation") and those guys told me it was "normal":mad:

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GOT said:
Good. I hope dealers nation wide have access to that TSB because my Caliber does that too (knocking or as the dealer put it, "light detonation") and those guys told me it was "normal":mad:
They told my fiance that too the first time she took my car back for the pinging. I then had to get "gansta" on the dealer. Told him I was going to call DCX (which I did), and let them know how their dealership just put a damper on my "first car buying" experience, then I Googled the President of the dealerships email address, told the service manager the exact email address, and threatend to send the President of the dealership an email explaining how I was going to have my lawyer and the BBB involved. LOL. Shame I had to go through all of that, but when you're dealing with an individual who brain doesn't comprehend, you go to such drastic measures. In my case, I had to. Even a DCX representative told me that "the dealer IS NOT THE ONE PAYING FOR IT, WE ARE". :eek:

Anyway, NOW THEY TREAT ME BETTER!

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Xtreme Thunder said:
Awesome and good to hear!:) Let us know if you "notice/feel" a difference with the Computer Flash.
GOOOOD NEWS!! Car picks up WAAAY BETTER!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOH BOY ME LIKES!!! I don't know what that COMPUTER UPDATE DID, But ME LIKES!! I STRONGLY ADVISE ALL WITH THE "PINGING" ISSUE TO, TO DEMAND YOUR DEALER TO FIX IT! Car does 0-60 in 6.8 sec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Hey, it ain't much... but, IT'S BETTER & NOTICEABLE! Oh, and they CHANGED THE "INSULATOR/RESONATOR" or whatever the hell it is!

·
Banned
76 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
Sooooo, I was one of the "lucky" people to experience the pinging and other abnormalies involving the exhaust. Well, car went in this morning, problem solved. Service manager just called me to say, "insulator replaced, computer flashed, this car runs stronger than ANY 2.0 on our lot" Great, I'll have to wait til tomorrow to see for myself. *crosses fingers*. There's a TSB (according to dealer) for moaning or pinging sounds during acceleration of 25 miles per hr and above, and after car engine is shut off. Called for replacing the "insulator/resonator".
Hook, line & sinker.

Gonna flash that ECM and turn your car into a rocket. And the sucker buys it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
They told my fiance that too the first time she took my car back for the pinging. I then had to get "gansta" on the dealer. Told him I was going to call DCX (which I did), and let them know how their dealership just put a damper on my "first car buying" experience, then I Googled the President of the dealerships email address, told the service manager the exact email address, and threatend to send the President of the dealership an email explaining how I was going to have my lawyer and the BBB involved. LOL. Shame I had to go through all of that, but when you're dealing with an individual who brain doesn't comprehend, you go to such drastic measures. In my case, I had to. Even a DCX representative told me that "the dealer IS NOT THE ONE PAYING FOR IT, WE ARE". :eek:

Anyway, NOW THEY TREAT ME BETTER!
Yeah, you know I don't mind buying the first-model-year car. But damn those idiots for not being more cooperative! I mean they are being nice and all but when I take the car in they tell me things like, "it's normal" and "we can't do anything about it until a TSB comes out", and “nobody else is reporting anything like that” (what do they think I’m lieing… making it up!?). Well what the hell are they there for!? Why don't those dumbasses get on the phone and try to figure something out! I'll tell you what, I'm not buying anymore cars from the dealer I bought from. I know a guy at another dealer (thepowertowin) and it seems like he runs a tighter ship.

We are not just buying a car anymore these days. We are buying into a service... that of the dealer. And so far the service I've gotten has been nice but slightly incompetent. And now (this morning) they are giving me a song a dance about how they can't keep giving me a loaner... and they had 4 loaners just sitting there (do they think I’m there for the fun of it!!!?). I'll be damned if I ever buy anything else there... am I supposed to think that they are going to treat me better if I spend more money there when I already spent money there!? [/end rant]...heh

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
MOOK3452 said:
What do you mean flash the computer? Clear erroneous codes or what? I know nothing about it...Help me out;)
Puts updated info (updating the "program") into the computer, such as timing, air/fuel ratio, all that sort of stuff...

·
Registered
901 Posts
MOOK3452 said:
What do you mean flash the computer? Clear erroneous codes or what? I know nothing about it...Help me out;)
"Flash the computer" = Means updating data or programs in flash memory, which is stored on a computer chip. Kind of like system software.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ewitz said:
Hook, line & sinker.

Gonna flash that ECM and turn your car into a rocket. And the sucker buys it.
What're YOU? A CLOWN? :rolleyes:
All I can say is.. IT IS BETTER. But I don't know why the dealer is SOOOO HELL BENT ON making NOTES about the NEW WHEELS & TIRES! The service manager wouldn't do a wheel alignment for the "pull to the right" issue. I had to call and damn near "threaten" the General Manager to get them to do it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For those of you playing along at home, the TSB for spark knock is 180-020-06:

18-020-06 06/13/2006 2007 PM Flash: Warm Weather Spark Knock or DTC2173

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Tito said:
For those of you playing along at home...
:D :D :D

Tito said:

Cool, thanks Tito.

Man now how am I going to break this to the dealer tomorrow :confused: I fear they'll be mad and also refuse to give me a loaner. If they don't want to help people with new cars they sell to us then why are they selling new cars!!!? I thought when we buy a new car that it's going to be a new car. They almost act like they sold me a used car.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My dealer was aware of that TSB but said unless I have ignition pinging it maynot be a good thing to do. It retards the timing which will slightly decrease performance. Most likely it isn't enough to notice but still may not be a good idea if no ignition pinging is actually found.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Huff said:
My dealer was aware of that TSB but said unless I have ignition pinging it maynot be a good thing to do. It retards the timing which will slightly decrease performance. Most likely it isn't enough to notice but still may not be a good idea if no ignition pinging is actually found.
Uh oh, not the ultimatum :eek:

So either the engine knock is no big deal and will not harm anything or it will harm the motor but if we want to safeguard the motor we’ll lose performance…. I guess we will know when STEELBLueCALI gets his Caliber and can determine if it really does “runs stronger than ANY 2.0 on our lot” (wonder how many 2.0s they have on their lot).

·
Registered
683 Posts
Very light pinging won't hurt the engine. Heavy pinging is another thing. It seems pinging is a common issue with many makes and models lately. In order to get maximum performance, mpg etc. manufactures advance the timing as far as possible. That gets them the higher EPA rating. Trouble is, gas octance and quality varies widely around the country. So after the vehicle is released they issue a change to retard the timing slightly for those effected by it.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GOT said:
Uh oh, not the ultimatum :eek:

So either the engine knock is no big deal and will not harm anything or it will harm the motor but if we want to safeguard the motor we’ll lose performance…. I guess we will know when STEELBLueCALI gets his Caliber and can determine if it really does “runs stronger than ANY 2.0 on our lot” (wonder how many 2.0s they have on their lot).
Forgot to mention, that I did go pick it up after work GOT, and oh yessss.. it feels different. :) My car worked perfectly aside from the pinging, so if I have any NEW issues, the dealer is RESPONSIBLE.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Tito said:

I mentioned this to the service manager this morning and he told me he's heard of nothing (well why doesn't he check for it for crying out loud). Also told me when I come back in for the rear-washer fix to mention it to him again and they will take a look into it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts