Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I'm a 43 yr old male who now owns a 2004 Dakota Quad Cab and loves it to death, EXCEPT FOR the MPG it gets:( , and am "considering" the Caliber....Has anyone else maybe traded a pickup/Dakota for a Caliber and if so do ya feel any regrets or anything ????? They have one here in the color I like (Steel Blue) with the features I want (Musicgate and cruise) and are willing to sell it to me at invoice, but I'm still torn at getting rid of the truck.....I don't utilize the "truck" part of the truck too often but just knowing I can haul whatever I want, whenever I want is always nice to know....Any and all input would be appreciated..Thanx a million, Marty in Texas:confused:

·
Registered
911 Posts
IMO, the great thing about the Caliber is that it seems as if its versatile. All of the seats except the driver seat fold completely flat (90 degrees) so if you ever have to haul anything long, its just as possible as it would be with your QuadCab Dakota. I would estimate that the box on your Dakota is roughly about as long as what you could fit inside the Caliber from the passenger side to the hatch door (closed).

I would test drive the Caliber if you can and see if you really like it. Steel Blue is really nice on a Caliber IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx orange.......I do like cycling too so was curious as to how hard it would be to carry 1 or 2 bikes in or on the car compared to in the bed of the truck as well.......Again, I really like the Caliber in general ((except for general things like armrest moving and chill zone slider not staying where it's supposed to)) but don't want to make a mistake and trade a vehicle that has the 7/70 still intact for a vehicle that only has the 3/36 and with no "proven" track time under its belt......I guess I'm just kind of scared right now even though I'm anxious to do it..What a wuss huh ???

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a ford ranger and just got the caliber yesterday
The caliber from door to door on the inside is 1/2 inch wider than my ford
The length from dash to tailgate is just over 8 feet inside
the width between the back side panels is 39 inches inside
Now your not going to get a sheet of plywood in there but 8 ft. 2x4's
no problem.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
689 Posts
aggiedude said:
Thanx orange.......I do like cycling too so was curious as to how hard it would be to carry 1 or 2 bikes in or on the car compared to in the bed of the truck as well.......Again, I really like the Caliber in general ((except for general things like armrest moving and chill zone slider not staying where it's supposed to)) but don't want to make a mistake and trade a vehicle that has the 7/70 still intact for a vehicle that only has the 3/36 and with no "proven" track time under its belt......I guess I'm just kind of scared right now even though I'm anxious to do it..What a wuss huh ???
I guess Dan is wrong about the warranty not being important to customers. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mealso, that does help buddy, and I appreciate it......Again, I just don't want to trade a really nice vehicle for an "econobox" or anything like that and am hoping that's not what that this is...I did take a 10 minute drive in one on my lunch break a few months ago but I really wasn't even interested then and didn't really pay too much attention to detail, but now I'm truly considering doing it and need all the help/input I can get, and it IS appreciated big time !!!!!! Thanks again !!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and ejfb, to me at least, the warranty is HUGE !!!!!!!!!! I LOVE knowing I have 36k more miles on my engine and tranny.....That's one of the things that keeps me wondering if I should even consider getting rid of it..Yes, it likes the pumps, but yes, it does its job great...But then again, changing the oil every 3000 miles is something I do normally so................................

·
Registered
683 Posts
I traded my 2001 Dodge Ram for my Caliber. I loved my truck but the $80 fillups were hurting. I drive about 15 miles each way to work. My wife has a Hemi Durango but only drives 4 miles. So this works out better.

I kinda miss my truck at times as it was comfortable to drive being very roomy, big seats etc. After driving my Caliber for about a month I love it. It's so much easier to park and its a fun car to drive rather than a huge tank. But I do have the Durango still for towing my trailer etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
aggiedude said:
and ejfb, to me at least, the warranty is HUGE !!!!!!!!!! I LOVE knowing I have 36k more miles on my engine and tranny.....That's one of the things that keeps me wondering if I should even consider getting rid of it..Yes, it likes the pumps, but yes, it does its job great...But then again, changing the oil every 3000 miles is something I do normally so................................
Oh I agree, I don't think Chrysler wants to accept the fact that customers did appreciate the 7/70.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ain't sure what I'm gonna do yet.....Will be doing another test drive tomorrow in the car that will decide it, so wish me luck ok...I'll either keep the Dakota and be happy putting in the gas or buy the Caliber and be happy skipping the gas pumps...Thanks again for y'alls help... !!!! Have a great one and GOD bless, Marty

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm trading my 2001 Quad cab Dakota Sport for a Caliber. Well we're not actually trading it. We're keeping it but I will NOT be driving it everyday. It has a V8 and the $100+ gas I spend a week is reason enough for the Caliber. Really the only reason my dad bought the truck is so I can haul my horse to my trainers and I can throw my tack trunk in the bed. I definitely won't be able to do that with the caliber but I'll still have the truck when I need it. I'm excited!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got my Caliber yesterday and love it. The guy in the finance office said I could purchase the extended warranty of 7/70 for an extra $1000 or so and that I had 90 days to make up my mind before it goes up by $50. On another note - one dissapointment is that while it was an SXT Sport it did not come with the chrome grill as advertised. I know the discussions of this in previous threads but still don't like it. I think I'll try chrome on the slats in the grill like Tony Rome showed in a previous thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One other note - When I put the down payment on the car three weeks ago they said that I would be getting a $500 rebate. When the car came in they said the rebate "had been pulled" due to the popularity of the car. I was also told that the price would be reduced by $60 due to the lack of a chrome grill. It was not. I guess Dodge figures it can get away with anything as long as it's car is popular. Bottom line - don't trust what they tell you.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you put money down, before the end date of the rebate, which was May 31st, according to Chrysler Rebate Center, you are suppose to get the rebate, its a standard Chrysler deal on that.

From TommyLee:
As long as your name is on the order, you are price protected, which includes cash allowance (rebate) with no time limit. The dealers should all know about this. Oh, and I am real sure I am right on this one.

Information I found out by calling Dodge Rebate Center:
This is the answer I got from Dodge Incentives, 1-800-227-0757.

Called Dodge Incentives, dealer didn't know the answer. If you put down a deposit at time of order, rebate is locked in, could be more if it is more at delivery (highly unlikely currently).

If you didn't put down a deposit, (really makes no sense, Chrysler would never know if you did or didn't), then rebate is whatever it is at time of delivery, but dealer can state at time of delivery on incentive form that customer is a very good or long time customer and Chrysler will honor the rebate that was going on at order date.

Also, did you look at the sticker, did they reduce the price $60 on the sticker?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the rebate of $500 I won't be getting but I will be getting "invoice" which down here in Tx is pretty cool...Example basically is....Steel Blue with cruise and musicgate for $16700 versus $17800, and I guess that's about the lowest it's gonna go....According to a buddy of mine up in Minnesota who runs a Dodge dealership, there's just not enough mark up too EVER go below invoice for them to make any $$$$, so if I like the vehicle I might have to do it, but if not, screw it, I keep the truck and just deal with the gas prices..................

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for responding. Yes, I did put $500 down before the 31st of May, which is what they said I needed to put down to secure the deal. Yes, I looked at the sticker and it showed the same price for everything - no reduction for the body colored grill.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow, 16700, that's great. I payed 16880 for a Marine Blue SXT Sport with Speed control - full list. I think I got screwed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
nah, don't beat yourself up over it. there's always a next time!

you could be on an island like me and have no alternatives to the game. I paid $300 under msrp on the only blue Sport available, competing dealer had no sports whatsoever. not rows and rows of cars to choose from like you guys on the mainland get to choose from. there was just one.

mine. ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
oh yeah I am coming off of a pickup truck to the mini-Magnum here. not missing the truck except for sentimental values. not missing the horrible buckboard Ford head toss of a ride. not missing low teens mpg at all! not missing the tiny jumpseats, now I have full size seats all around. once I get the trailer hitch on the Caliber's going to be as utilitarian but new and warrantied. about the only thing to miss IMO is the elevated ride height.

YMMV!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm also getting rid of a truck for a Caliber. My wife drives a 4WD Liberty, so we're going to get a trailer to haul anything we may need to move. Think about a trailer to make up for not having the truck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts