Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, does the cool zone work for anyone? Mine sorda works, but it's no use, it barely gets anything cold. It just pretty much seems like its only at room temperature. Does anyone else get this, or are you all getting 45 degrees? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine keeps things cool. No where near the "Chill zone" that it's advertized as. I want to take it in and have it looked at, seeing as I do have a good warranty, just gotta find the time to do it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Safe yourself the time & just rip off the sliding door, that's as good as it's gonna get.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've taken plenty of long trips in mine, and if I throw a cold drink in, it keeps it chilled for quite a while. It won't get something cold that is warm. It's more of a Wow! factor when you show it off to people. Mine works fine for me, and it's conveniant, and if I want something ice cold, I've got plenty of room for a cooler. Make sure you have the sliding cover in the open position, or as Sherdog says- Take off the sliding door completely!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey Sherdog- I don't know who Zeca whoevere is, but that is the "Perfect Quote!" I may have that put on my headstone!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hahaha, Fitz.

He's a Brazilian singer and songwriter working primarily in the genre of pagode, a type of samba. He began his career in the early 80's.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine works about as good as a cooler bag would. Keeps things cool for a longer period than they would normally. If they weren't already cold, it doesn't do a whole lot. That's really all I had expected. If I drive a couple hours, I'd like a drink I bought at the last gas station to stay at a decent temp a while later. Works good for that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think the problem is that many people think it's a fridge :confused:

It keeps drinks cool and out of the sun and it's great for storage but not cold - even here ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's not going to get anything really cold; at best, 44 degrees F. What it excels at is keeping already-cold things cooler for a longer time. Bring some refrigerated sodas with you at the beginning of a road trip and stick 'em in the ChillZone. They'll stay cold(er) longer than if you just left 'em on the floor of the car.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i put some popcicles in mine the other day...were still frozen after about an hour. i think it's cool......cooooool! heheehe

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
^^^^ that's funny! we need to hook it up so that it works like the ford lightening.....added 50 hp to that truck just by releasing the cold air from the box that the a/c chilled....j/k....but would be cool!

·
Registered
146 Posts
^ Definately a good idea when you don't plan on using A/C ( winter months ). We throw cold water in it & it stays that way for our dogs & us.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
On my trip from San Diego to Fallon, NV. We put two room temperature sodas and one cold soda in there at the beginning of the trip. Had the A/C on low the whole time. After three hours of driving when we stopped for a bathroom break, the room temperature sodas were cool enough to drink without that nasty room temperature feel, and the "cold" soda wass just slightly colder than the sodas that were warm when put in. They definitly weren't refridgerator cold, but they were cold enough to be drinkable. I'd imagine if the A/C would have been turned up higher, it might have gotten them cooler. I dunno. Also, it's been posted in other thread(multiple Chill Zone threads) that if you actually fill all the slots, it works better than just having one soda in there. We had three sodas in it, and it worked as good as can be expected. If you used it for water, the water would be cool enough to be refreshing on a warm day.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
So I was reading through the owners manual today. Had a couple hours to kill. The vents for the chill zone still blow cold air even with the heater on!!!! I even tested it and it works. I know some people even myself had wondered how the chillzone worked with the heater thinking it only blows out the same temp air as the regular vents depending on the temperature setting.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I also read that when I first got my Caliber, but then thought I had read it wrong, or I needed to reread it. Besides down here in the Houston area, we rarely use our heat. (I somehow broke the heat in my last car, but drove for 2 years without needing it!) I remember thinking at the time that I read that, how incredible it was that you could run your heater and still keep things cold-cool. I kept meaning to go back and read it again, but I guess you've answered that question. Thanks for the good eye HSKR!;)

Fitz

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sherdog said:
How does that work? :confused:
When you have defrost turned on, the A/C still runs to dehydrate the air, it just blows the cold air over the heater element to heat it up. I suppose that it directs the cold air into the chill zone before it goes over the heater element. Like I said, I actually tested it. Hot air blowing out the dash vents, but cold air blowing into the chillzone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts