Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes: Hey all,

I've gotten myself an '07 AWD R/T (with CVT & AutoStick feature), in October 2006. I really like it but...

Two different 'weird' things have happened, both related to the CVT 'AutoStick' mode:

Weirdness #1 (not so bad)
CVT will not shift into 'AutoStick' mode...sometimes
- Many times, this winter, I could not engage 'AutoStick' immediately upon engine startup. However, after some driving, I was able to bring it in. I suspect that there is some sort of temperature permissive, in the AutoStick logic, that prevents the CVT from going 'manual' untill tranny/fluid temperature have met some minimum temp. It was either brutaly cold, like -25 degrees Celcius or kinda cold like -5 DegC, or somewhere in between. After a day at work , I would hop in, start the engine (turn the key to live, 3 sec pause, idiot lights go out, then crank...), pull on my seat belt, then shift down to drive and push/hold right to 'Autostick'...but nothing. Waggling left and right made no difference. I'd pull away in CVT and fiddle the whole time, with no luck. Finally, after some driving, AutoStick will finally engage. I suspect a temp permissive since the tranny will begin to warm up, under CVT driving. It's either temp or pressure (too cold = too high a pressure), either way I suspect some sort of logic permissive.
:confused: Has anybody else had this happen to them? Did it only happen in colder temps? This never happened to me during the Fall. It's now coming to Spring here, so I'll see if it happens again...

I mentioned it to my dealer an he shrugs. I plan to contact Chrysler Corporate and also JATCO to ask them if this is considered a 'normal' phenomena, and why.

Weirdness#2 (could be fatal)
Almost ZERO acceleration power while in 'AutoStick'...sometimes
- Again in cold temps, both 'really' cold or just cold. Sitting all day, after work, start up, and AutoStick engages fine. I idled out of my parking stop and eased towards the lot exit ~50 yards. I came to an almost complete stop and then confidently stepped on the gas to get moving. Next to nothing happend.:eek: The engine barely reved up, and I c-r-a-w-l-e-d forward into traffic flow (which wasn't there thank G). I mashed the pedal to the floor and still nothing. I let go then hammered the pedal again. This time the engine startled awake and off we went. This all happened in 1 or 2 seconds. I had this happen twice, both times with no traffic. However, it happened to me once, when it could have been fatal. To make things weirder, I had already been able to accelerate in AutoStick. I drove at least 1000yds, even shifting up to 2nd. then back to 1st for a stop. Once again, I had to get moving, and nothing. Mashing didn't help, nor did Neutral/Drive swaps, and traffic was closing fast. I coasted onto the curb and had to put it in Park to get the logic to reset. CVT went all good after that. I've *never* had any issues with full auto CVT, (other than a little boredom).:rolleyes:

I paid more attention to what seemed to be going on, the last time this happened, and it seems to me that the engine is trying to rev up, but it's so loaded that it just can't. It's as if Autostick indicates 1 but is really in 6. I can feel the engine thrumming and accel is there but meaured in minutes. It'd be the same as jacking a 5 speed into 6th and flooring it, once you are crawling along already of course. If it weren't for the torque converter, I'm sure the Cali would have been bucking like a bronco. It's either that or the computer decides "no gas for you!" (soup-nazi voice) to the poor engine?

Once again, has anybody experienced similar, repeatable issues? Was it cold when it happened?

I've read here that some people had issues with no power after tinkering with 'at-speed' CVT changes, but I found nothing related to AutoStick. (I'm going to experiment with Drive/Neutral swaps on straights and downhills to see if I can get the same problems to come up)

K, thanks for your patience.
Eric

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It would not suprise me one bit if it locks out autostick till a temp is reached. If you notice in normal drive it will run different ratios to keep the rpm significantly higher than if it was warm. Its attempting to hurry the warmup period. It wouldnt be such a good idea to just hop in and take off in -25º weather anyway, no less racing around with autostick. Try giving it a min or 2 to warm up a little at least.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you must have an amazing coat to be jumping in and driving in temperatures like that. you may want to invest in a remote starter :)
sorry for the lack of suggestions as to why this is happening to your cali. my best guess would be to restate what fingernipp just said

·
Registered
147 Posts
Weirdness #2 sounds like the electronic throttle was possibly at fault the first time you hit the gas rather than the transmission.....but that's just a guess.

J

·
Registered
43 Posts
I really don't I will usually let mine sit and warm for bit. That really hard the engine to just jump in and go when it that cold

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re problem one - page 214 of the drivers manual states that Autostick will not function until the CVT warms up in cold weather. Guess that's your answer.
Don't think I'll have that problem when my SXT finally turns up (been waiting 4 months already) - I live in sub-tropical Brisbane Australia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fingernipp said:
It would not suprise me one bit if it locks out autostick till a temp is reached. If you notice in normal drive it will run different ratios to keep the rpm significantly higher than if it was warm. Its attempting to hurry the warmup period. It wouldnt be such a good idea to just hop in and take off in -25º weather anyway, no less racing around with autostick. Try giving it a min or 2 to warm up a little at least.
I never did indicate 'why' I wanted to AutoStick. It was for that exact reason, as you suggested. (I've never paid attention to 'cold' normal drive mode, and different ratios I should do that!) The reason I AutoStick right away, is to be able to hold the RPMs higher than the 2K it seems to sit at, not to race around. I don't race around much anyway. I'm an old man now :rolleyes:.
yes, there is definitely a pause between startup and drive away. Usually there's window scraping involved. I can assure you I am familiar with cold weather be-nice-to-your-engine techniques ;)

Thanks for the feedback!
Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jmettee said:
Weirdness #2 sounds like the electronic throttle was possibly at fault the first time you hit the gas rather than the transmission.....but that's just a guess.

J
I'm still not convinced of that. Yesterday, I discovered that I can waggle right up to 6th gear, from a near dead start. From a stop, I revved up in 1st and kept waggling up the gears. It went right up to 6th, due to engine RPM not road speed. I was crawling along at 10kms/hr and bogging like crazy. Fully floored, the engine was trying as best it could, the acccel was there, but super slow. That's *exactly* the same condition, as the bad times it happened. Except...when it happened I only pushed it into 1st once, it indicated 1st and I left it there, in 1st. The logic seems to have dialed it into a much higher gear, on it's own.

Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
calibre said:
Re problem one - page 214 of the drivers manual states that Autostick will not function until the CVT warms up in cold weather. Guess that's your answer.
Don't think I'll have that problem when my SXT finally turns up (been waiting 4 months already) - I live in sub-tropical Brisbane Australia.

Humph! I read my manual, front to back. I'm certain I didn't see that! ...
...hmmm...Page 214 of my manual is related to the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Chrysler must have different manuals!
My back cover part# 81-026-0739 Second Edition Printed in U.S.A.
In my manual: AutoStick is described on pgs 185 & 186 and there's not a mention of any cold weather info.

I wonder why they didn't include that in our manual. It's not like Australia see's wicked cold temps!?!?

Weird. Thanks for pointing that out though!

Eric

·
Registered
6 Posts
The manual I was looking at was the on-line version downloaded from the Dodge.com website i.e. the USA manual.
Might be a later one than the one that came with your Cali.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And so you are right! I downloaded it too, and there it is. I guess they missed that in my revision. That answers Wierd #1.

Thanks eh!
Eric

·
Registered
190 Posts
FWIW, I have experienced the step-on-pedal-no-go phenom but it hasn't happened in months. Weather was nice so I don't think temp played a factor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts