Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have to double check but it seems I saw in my manuals schedule listing saying the CVT's belt should be replaced at 60K miles. Looking at Jatco's website it would appear replacing the belt involves removal of the transmission. Are we all looking at a major bill in the future?

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is a pretty damn good question! I have looked at the pictures of the cvtII and can't see it being replaced without removal of the tranny! Funny....suggestion of replacement right after warranty ends...hmmm....!

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
mealso said:
Not ALL just the automatiics, five speeds don't have belts.
True! I guess it should have read "most of us"! The large majority so far are automatics. This could be a hefty bill you have to admit though! I wonder if anyone else has any more info on this at hand?
Cheers!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I heard they don't even service CVT belts and just write the trans off? (Saw it on a Nissan Murano tech forum which uses the same CVT I think)

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, no, no! Transmission fluid and filter get changed at 60k. That'll be pricey because the fluid will be expensive. If the Nissan Murano is any indication it'll take a lot of fluid, too. I wouldn't be surprised it was $300 or so.

But considering that is the worst part of the 60k service, this will be a cheap car to run. My Eclipse GT required the plugs to be changed (which required removing the intake plenum), the timing belt, and of course you don't change the timing belt without changing the water pump. And that was just the stuff I didn't want to deal with myself.

I love the maintenance schedule on this. I can easily do everything except the transmission stuff myself, and none of it takes long.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the manual it does say to replace the CVT fluid at 60K. It also states to inspect the drive belt and replace if necessary. Is this the CVT belt? What is involved to inspect it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
anyone know.... does doing your own maintenance violate your warranty? cuz if you do it all yourself how do you prove you actually did it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
also its starting to look more and more awesome that i chose to wait for the manual tranny... so much cheaper in the long run oh yea and the short run with fuel.... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The drive belt they are referring to is the serpentine belt on the motor. There is no need to service the CVT belt.

Doing your own maintenance wont violate your warranty if you do it properly. The cvt takes a scan tool to read the datastream and determine where the fluid level should be, tying to service that correctly without a scan tool isnt possible.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You also have to keep record of your services that you did. I keep a memo book in my glove box and write down everything that I have done. i.e. mileage, brand, part number, etc. Service records are service records. I've never had a problem with someone disputing my service records and I do all my own work.

Tiff

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
All I can say is that if I have to spending a hundred here and a hundred there before the car hits 100k I'm going to a very unhappy camper. That's the reason I dumped my GM cars. GM cars are not very reliable, Ford's the same... and I'm hoping DCX isn't following suit these days. I'm tired of getting nickled and dimed to death when many of my friends and family are happily driving their Japanese POS cars around past 200k:mad: I don't know of any 200,000-mile clubs for domestic makes.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Theres 100s of 98 and newer Town Cars with the 4.6 L. V/8s running at Toronto Airport with well over 1,000,000 KMs. When they get too tacky looking they are sold to Toronto cabbys. Most of these cars are original except for wear and tear parts. Oil change every 2 weeks or less and they run forever.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
xlimodriver said:
Oil change every 2 weeks or less and they run forever.
:eek: Man how much does it cost/year to change the oil evey two weeks?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Toronto airport Limos run 24/7 with 2 or 3 drivers working shifts. 10,000 Kms in less than 2 weeks is common. If they can afford the $100,000 annual licence fee, $15 every week or two is nothing.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
waynet said:
1995 neon 359000 still running strong
:eek: Wow, that's great. How much repair have you done to it (not to imply that it merely made it to that age without 10 overhauls... just curious)?

·
Registered
45 Posts
my 95 neon has 107,000 now only replaced struts realy... hopefully mine will last till 300,000.... damn student loans :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts