Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone is going to have to explain it to me. Maintaining the same speed, I found I could really play with the rpm's by using minimal pressure on the throttle, I figure the CVT is just changing gears (I know there aren't any, but anyway)
Today as I drove home, I decided to use the autostick and make the engine stay in 6th and lock it in... in my dumb logic, I would get an indication where my rpm's should be cruising. At 100kph, I was averaging 2500 rpm, switch back to automatic and it drops to 2200, back to 6th with the autostick and it rose back to 2500. Does auto have a 7th speed ??

·
Registered
687 Posts
I enjoy using LOW from stops, less delay! Not so worried about mpg. :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think it may have to do with a lock up on the converter in the auto mode where 6th in the autostick doesn't have it or something.

·
Banned
73 Posts
there isnt any converter. It uses a electric clutch to engage / disengage at low speeds. Thats why the 0-15 mph is so bad, the clutch isnt engageing. After 15 mph the trans / engine is direct drive and there isnt any play.
It probably just has some more available gearing when in d compared to autostick.

·
Registered
377 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
I enjoy using LOW from stops, less delay! Not so worried about mpg. :D
I have tried that for a few days now, for me there is no difference, it already goes into low gearing on launch. It's how I drive it normally that it has adapted.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Its not the clutch engaging fully that is the problem from 0 to 20mph. The computer isn't letting the engine rise into high rpms. Jatco makes the CVT for both Caliber & Nissan Versa(probably others) & both cars, from 0 to 20mph, have lethargic accelerations. However, I believe the Versa comes out of its doldrums quicker than the Caliber. But the Caliber's greater horsepower makes higher speed acceleration better than Versa. Jatco makes the CVT pulley from carbon graphite fiber to give more reliability over previous rubberized pulley systems. I believe Jatco gave the carbon graphite pulley an extra measure of reliability by limiting low speed acceleration. Not sure if it needed the extra measure of reliability, but there you have it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
its only a matter of time before we see tweakers for the pcm.. either backed by dodge or not.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Made an observation about 2 weeks ago, that I thot(thought) the Caliber CVT outaccelerated the Versa CVT in mid to upper speed ranges. However, only the R/T will out accelerate the Versa. The SXT is a bit slower than the Versa. My own SE Caliber, tho a bit faster than SXT (due to lower weight), at best would only match Versa's mid-speed range from 45 to 65MPH.

·
Registered
143 Posts
litesong said:
Made an observation about 2 weeks ago, that I thot(thought) the Caliber CVT outaccelerated the Versa CVT in mid to upper speed ranges. However, only the R/T will out accelerate the Versa. The SXT is a bit slower than the Versa. My own SE Caliber, tho a bit faster than SXT (due to lower weight), at best would only match Versa's mid-speed range from 45 to 65MPH.
Interesting...good lookin out litesong!!:eek:

·
Registered
413 Posts
WOW!:eek: you mean my R/T will beat a nissan versa! I'm impressed!!!!!!(not really)..........God am I depressed:( ......LOL! It's not fair that an R/T version of anything, be compared to a versa. It just shouldn't happen!!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you guys also know that our cars, well those of us with autostick at least, will beat an Acura RSX outstick. It will get you of the line but after your in 2nd you got it. Dont know about the Type-S though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
joker2 said:
Did you guys also know that our cars, well those of us with autostick at least, will beat an Acura RSX outstick. It will get you of the line but after your in 2nd you got it. Dont know about the Type-S though.
Well it would be close if I was pulling a horse-trailer with my caliber. hah.

·
Registered
143 Posts
joker2 said:
the base model rsx had ~160hp at the crank so it wasn't a real fast car, but it's much lighter than the Cali so that should have compensated for the lack of power...heh. It's too bad they stoped making those cars, they were really nice and fun to drive....well except for that huge wing that some of them came with..

·
Registered
321 Posts
xcanuk said:
Someone is going to have to explain it to me. Maintaining the same speed, I found I could really play with the rpm's by using minimal pressure on the throttle, I figure the CVT is just changing gears (I know there aren't any, but anyway)
Today as I drove home, I decided to use the autostick and make the engine stay in 6th and lock it in... in my dumb logic, I would get an indication where my rpm's should be cruising. At 100kph, I was averaging 2500 rpm, switch back to automatic and it drops to 2200, back to 6th with the autostick and it rose back to 2500. Does auto have a 7th speed ??
That is exactly what I was thinkign with my autostick. 7 speeds:confused:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Barking Spider said:
GO AEM!!!:D
Just think what they can do, if they get the source code, and can tweak the CVT to make it more agressive, and adjust the timing. Have an R/T that has an agressive CVT + run on premium. That is what I am talking about.:D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
litesong said:
Just wondering how you "observed" this? Were you racing one on the street?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi HSKR...No, I went to the library & looked up in Consumer Reports for separate months that CR talked about Caliber(Sept. 2006) & Versa (December 2006-I think). Both articles had various performance runs including the very meaningful 45 to 65MPH run.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Anyone trying to get the Caliber CVT to "perform" probably should forget it. Even if you got past the CVT computer so the CVT began "performing", you would regret it. The normal Caliber CVT, upon hard acceration, has its CVT internal hydraulic pressure rise to near 1000 pounds per square inch. That is probably the reason Jatco computer limits the engine power & rpms thru the CVT at low speeds. Anyone getting around the computer control will just be hammering on the 1000psi pressure till it failed.

The CVT wasn't designed for performance, but for elegant smoothness. & with feather footing, the CVT can get fairly good MPG too.

Trying to get performance will not get you performance, MPG or smoothness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i never mastered using the Autostick... actually quite honestly i am dumbfounded when it comes to using that damn thing. i guess automatic is just the way to go for me?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts