Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever found any information on the torque and horsepower capacities for the CVT2? I'm concerned as I see various people adding CAI's and different things to their calibers without knowing what this transaxle is built to handle. Like many others here I wouldn't mind getting more torque to the wheels, but I'm not willing to risk hurting a $20,000 vehicle to do it. I've tried a few times to find information about these CVT2's, but I just can't find any info. Anyone got any help?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know specs but a minor upgrade like a CAI isn't going to hurt anything.

Now if you start talking about adding a turbo kit with NOS, etc...Then yes, you should find out first.

The CAI is maybe a 7-15 hp increase *maybe*

I will be adding a CAI along with the catback exhaust in hopes of 20-25 hp and much better acceleration.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The CAI is more like a 1-2 HP increase.

And I wouldn't doubt if the CVT was capable of handling 250-300+ hp. Maybe even more than that too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
MOOK3452 said:
I don't know specs but a minor upgrade like a CIA isn't going to hurt anything.

Now if you start talking about adding a turbo kit with NOS, etc...Then yes, you should find out first.

The CIA is maybe a 7-15 hp increase *maybe*

I will be adding a CIA along with the catback exhaust in hopes of 20-25 hp and much better acceleration.
Sorry mook, but those are pipe dream numbers.
Without adjusting the combustion cycle you might end up with less HP. Even with proper tuning of combustion, a CIA/Catback will probably yeild no more than a 10% gain, so your looking at 15 to 17 HP. I nice little kick, but probably short of your desires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Nissan Murano has CVT with
Horsepower - 245 HP @ 5800 rpm
Torque - 246 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
Since the CVT in the Caliber is supposed to be the same one just different programming it should handle the same power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mealso said:
The Nissan Murano has CVT with
Horsepower - 245 HP @ 5800 rpm
Torque - 246 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
Since the CVT in the Caliber is supposed to be the same one just different programming it should handle the same power.
Very very wrong. The Murano has a CVT3, a much bigger transmission.

·
Registered
81 Posts
irloyal said:
Sorry mook, but those are pipe dream numbers.
Without adjusting the combustion cycle you might end up with less HP. Even with proper tuning of combustion, a CIA/Catback will probably yeild no more than a 10% gain, so your looking at 15 to 17 HP. I nice little kick, but probably short of your desires.
15-17 as rated by Mopar? Because I hear they underrate everything almost. K&N advertises (i know i know :p ) 10-15 with thier product alone. Then add the larger exhaust and header....Seems it could "possibly" get 20-25 to me.

But I'm no gear head so I'm just talking yin yang anyways :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts