Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running some errands today and as I was merging onto the highway on my return trip home as I accelerated through 3rd gear the engine "missed" a few beats and the the engine light came on with no chime or other warning lights. Pulled over and checked to see if there was any thing funny everything seemed fine(Oil level and visable connections).

Restarted the car and no sounds, rattles, or clattering could be heard (engine light still on) the idle was smooth and regular so I drove it home slowly.

Will be going in for service on Monday or ASAP by the dealer.

Suspect that may be possibly a bad plug or lead. Just seems kind of early for a wire or plug failure with barely 7500kms or 4600miles on it.:confused:

Does anyone know if they use coil packs or one main coil for the 1.8L, another possible suspect???

Does anyone know how to get the codes out? Tried the On/Off 4x routine like my old Caravan but didn't seem to work and but managed to test all the guages pressing trip reset while turning on the car however:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
135 Posts
If they have an Autozone auto parts stores in Canada, they will pull the codes for free. If not maybe some other local auto parts stores in you area will do it for you. It may not have even been a misfire. Other part and sensor failures, such as the O2, can create a similar problem like the one you describe.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Best bet is to leave the light on for the dealership to decode. Nothing worse than the light going off before you go in and they say "we can't find anything wrong and there are no codes!"

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well went to my dealer and talked a little they fired up the car and no codes were recorded. So it seems according to the dealer that it was a case of "Vapor Lock".

Due to the dramatic changes in temperature (-20c to +4c) the gas that was in my tank which was a little over half full, expanded and it cause a positive pressure in the gas tank causing the emissions light to come on.

He said that for future events to make sure that the gas cap is released to relieve the pressure and make sure to completely close the cap till it clicks to make sure that it is prevented in the future.

Go figure what used to happen to my old beater cars from the 80's is now the same thing some 25 years later.....modern tech at it's best! LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts