Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Caliber last thursday. Its a black diesel with six-speed transmission (of course), and i have to say: Wow, thats a great engine for the car. 140 ponies and about 230 ft.lbs (310 n/m) makes for a very smooth package which still delivers quite a punch; at least until about 4500 rpm where the diesel falls flat on its nose, but i guess all diesels do that.
Due to ridiculous danish tax laws, I opted for a van conversion. What this means is, I get no rear seats. They are replaced by a steel bedliner to make a flat cargo area.
Anyways, pics below:

best regards
Claus

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wow! I really like that! I use my Caliber as a work vehicle so I always have the rear seats folded. I really like the drivers protective bar with the Dodge Ram cutout shield. Never seen anything like that. Is there storage underneath where the rear seats would be?
Great looking Caliber! Congratulations!:D
Fitz

·
Registered
775 Posts
Can you say "Hearse".

Seriously, though, it looks good. I wonder of you could get that setup with the seats still in place. It's be great for a work vehicle, but pulling out the bed when you want to haul passengers would be nice too.

I need to get a cage like that, but all the way accross, with plexiglass, and soundproofing for when I have the kids in the car. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fitz: Yeah, I really like the Ram cutout as well. The protective shield is mandated by law to protect the driver from flying cargo in the event of a crash, but it's usually just a metal screen or a sheet of plexiglass. I think this shows commitment to the Dodge brand from the Danish importers.
There is no accessible storage under the steel bed. I guess a couple of cutouts or hatches could solve that, but I'm not quite ready to take a sawzall to my Caliber yet :)

Michael K.: I suppose it would be possible to get both versions in one vehicle, but in Denmark you'd still have to pay the full tax for a passenger vehicle, so for me that's not an option.
By the way: There are also tie-down points in the corners if the kids get too unruly :)

regards

·
Registered
644 Posts
huh... thats different. i too really like the dodge cutout behind the seat... kinda cool

please explain the whole danish tax laws and choosing the van conversion... i dont quite understand?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darren07RT said:
please explain the whole danish tax laws and choosing the van conversion... i dont quite understand?
OK, the short version: If you want a car, we'll make you bleed!
The slightly longer version:
For passenger vehicles, we pay about 180% registration tax. That results in a price of about $60000 for a diesel Caliber. If a car is converted to a cargo van, the registration tax is reduced, resulting in a price for the diesel of just over $30000. You are not allowed to carry passengers in the cargo area, so the Caliber is now effectively a two-seater with a large boot.
The downside of this conversion is that we get slapped with a higher road tax. Annual road tax for a Caliber is about $500, but for the cargo conversion we pay about $1300.
On top of that, diesel and gasoline is of course taxed as well: diesel costs about $5.50 a gallon, premium gasoline is about 6.25.
So with income taxes running at about 50% you need to make about $120000 gross income to buy a diesel Caliber as a passenger vehicle!

As an example of the Danish tax system at work: A friend of mine recently bought a 2006 Corvette. The price? A meager $250000 :eek:

That's a short summary of our tax laws. I guess i really like it here, since i choose to stay;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
WOW, that is quite complex. I'm assuming you are quoting these prices in the Denmark Kroner. In which case that would be:

60,000.00 DKK = 11,413.63 CAD
30,000.00 DKK = 5,705.70 CAD

That seems really low.

·
Registered
377 Posts
THATS INSANE!!!!!!

Are other cars this expensive, or just American ones?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tigerr said:
Are other cars this expensive, or just American ones?
All cars are that expensive; basically you pay for three cars to get one.
IIRC, the Neon was introduced at about 9000 US$ in the states. The price here was 200000 Danish Kroner, at todays exchange rate thats about 30000 US$!
The least expensive new cars are about 100000 Danish = about 15000 US$. That buys you a Daewoo (a.k.a. Chevrolet!) Matiz, a Korean mode of tranportation about the size of a small shoebox (the term car doesn't really apply here), with a huge three-cylinder 0.8-litre engine pounding out a whopping 52 horsepower!

On a more positive note, i get to buy a diesel Caliber, and the onboard computer is currently reporting 6.5l/100km, thats about 36mpg.

regards

·
Registered
644 Posts
OH HELL NO! that sucks $60k for a caliber, id shoot myself

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do people even buy high end cars like Porche or Mercedes there? What do they normally run in cost?

Is it normal to get paid $120,000/year or more there?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
High end cars are here, but quite rare.

I doubt 120k a year can be called normal income in Denmark; I make 40000 US$/year as a gas station attendant, and my wife makes somewhere in the mid-fifties working for the Danish equivalent of FAA.

The horribly high taxes, including taxes on private transportation, finances quite a lot of government expenditure. Amongst other things, Denmark provides free healthcare, free education, extensive public transportation and propably a lot of other services that i have yet to take advantage of ;-)

·
Registered
775 Posts
When I was in Israel, I was told they have a 200% tax on cars. I can't imagine paying those kinds of taxes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's a finnish prices:

2.0 L SXT CVT costs 27000 € (euro) = 33 132,90 USD
2.0 L SXT CRD costs 30500 € (euro) = 37 400,91 USD

You have even more expensive cars in Denmark than in Finland. And that's a achievement :eek:

·
Registered
976 Posts
clavit said:
High end cars are here, but quite rare.

I doubt 120k a year can be called normal income in Denmark; I make 40000 US$/year as a gas station attendant, and my wife makes somewhere in the mid-fifties working for the Danish equivalent of FAA.

The horribly high taxes, including taxes on private transportation, finances quite a lot of government expenditure. Amongst other things, Denmark provides free healthcare, free education, extensive public transportation and propably a lot of other services that i have yet to take advantage of ;-)
Well $40,000USD as a gas station attendant,theres got to be more to it than
pumping gas,you must have a skill other than that to warrant that pay scale.
The job here in Canada might with the minimum wage in Ontario might pay for
a 40 hour week $15,000.00 CAN.per year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it is a gas station/minimart/bakery, and i'm on permanent night shift. My average work week is 35 hours.
The minimum wage in Denmark is about 30000 US$, for a fulltime job.

·
Registered
160 Posts
clavit said:
Well, it is a gas station/minimart/bakery, and i'm on permanent night shift. My average work week is 35 hours.
The minimum wage in Denmark is about 30000 US$, for a fulltime job.
Congrats for that quite unique Caliber you've got there! I kinda like that conversion thingy, since I use my trunk also "full size" most of the time.
Only thing I noticed is, that you won't be able to use the foldable passenger seat anymore, with the bed installed. Is that correct?

On word 'bout wages/tax in DK >>

If you make 40.000 a year, how much income tax do you pay on that and are there any other costs like social insurances (unemployment/retirement/etc.) and are there any additional costs, your employer has to pay to the authorities or insurances or whatsoever?

How many bucks do you have net (in your pocket) every month?

What is the average price for a 120m² Bungalow + ground and is there any financial support, if you built a house on your own?
Interest rates for building a house or buying an appartment?

What is the average rate if you rent a 75m² appartment?

I know, that is a lot of stuff I ask for, but since you are still living up there in the north, it can not be all that bad.

Additionally, I've been to DK about 70 times the last 37 years and haven't ever seen starving kids or malnourished vikings in your home country! ;)

I'd really like to learn some details 'n facts about the financial rules/regulations/possibilities in DK.
Who knows what that might be good for in the future :cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts