Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to ordering my Caliber R/T I had driven a rented Chevy with automatic daytime running lights. I loved them.

You put the headlights in auto and you never had to think about them again. If you started the car, and it was dark out, the headlights automatically came on. Start the car in the day time and the daytime running lights came on. If you were driving from daytime to night time, as it got darker, the headlights would automatically come on.

So, I was wondering if the Caliber daytime running lights worked the same way?

·
Registered
259 Posts
No they do not work the same way. I assume the Chevy you rented is similar to our Saturn... It has both daytime running lights and automatic headlights. It is very nice in the Saturn to leave it on auto and you never have to worry about it.

In the Caliber the daytime running light are simply your brights running at 60%.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had to remind my wife that she now has to turn on the headlights at night, old habit from previous car. DRL's do not ligt up the rear either

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The Caliber is the first car I've had in years that I have to turn the headlights on or off. Getting used to it now but sometimes I leave them on when I think I'm turning off the wipers and turn the lights on. Just a habit because the wiper switch on the Benz is on the turn signal stalk.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
While we are on this subject...does somebody wanna test this? We have an '04 Caravan and a '04 Dakota, and both vehicles have a battery management system on them where if you leave the lights on for more than like 2 minutes without the keys in the ignition they will turn off, saving the battery. Does the Caliber do this?

·
Registered
775 Posts
The Caliber's DRLs are tied into the parking brake. When the car is started, the DRLs don't automatically come on unless the parking brake is released.

I have the DRLs and I have to pass through a guarded security gate to get to work. It is considered rude and improper to not turn off the headlights when pulling up to the gate. Since the DRLs are brighter than the low beam lights, I'm faced with the problem of either turning the headlights on (or leaving them on when it's dark) or using the DRLs and blinding the guard even more. My solution has been to turn the headlights off and pull up on the park brake handle just enough to turn off the DRLs. If anyone knows of a way to wire in a switch for turning off the DRLS, I'd like to know so I can simply flip a switch when I approach the gate.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Michael K. said:
If anyone knows of a way to wire in a switch for turning off the DRLS, I'd like to know so I can simply flip a switch when I approach the gate.
X2!! :D I am very interested in this mod. I hate the way that those drls look, even if we could change the drls to the indicator lights/turn signals it would be much much better!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I asked the dealer to activate the DRL when I took delivery of my Caliber SXT. They claimed it was a factory installed option and couldn't do it. Very strange, the same dealer activated the DRL on my Magnum R/T. Also asked to have the headlight delay with RKE set to zero. Didn't do that either even though they did it on my Magnum. Looking at the wiring diagram, there doesn't appear to be any special module in the headlight circuit for the DRL.

·
Registered
147 Posts
IT's true that it's a factory option.....cost us all of $40. Not sure what it is for that price....perhaps just a relay? I don't have any electrical diagrams so I'm not sure what the diff is.

J

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
i know that the dealers can activate the LX drls, and I *thought* that it was the same with the Caliber:rolleyes: ...but who knows my memory and i dont always get along...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts