Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you want belive it ,i am driving on a side road and a guy runs into my passenger door in the middle of the street and rips my mirror of i am stopping the car and keep talking to him if he is ok and another person comes forward and tells me that he is deaf and can't hear anything i say ,i tell him i need his name and adress because its his fault because he is jeywalking and i want him to pay for the mirror he broke ,now everyone tells me that i shoulden drive in this street anyway because that guy is deaf ,now i am staying very calm but i basicly ready to blow ,now what would you do????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
So a guy likes that street and everyone shouldn't drive on the street, because he is deaf and lives and walks on that street. Yeah right :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
run over his dog? j/k man that stinks....i think it was just a mistake and i personally would just fix it. the poor guy is deaf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
He's deaf... But he's not BLIND!!! That's just crazy to think that you shouldn't drive somewhere because someone might not hear you! Anyway, it sounds like you may have a hard time getting someone around there to verify that he was at fault. Good luck on that. Hopefully the guy won't try to sue you!
So glad I was able to help you out. Sorry. There is one universal sign you could give him though, called the finger! Good luck Thomas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I always find it fascinating that people (rightfully, IMO) fight for the rights of handicapped people, but when a handicapped person does something wrong it's often met with "oh, the poor guy, just let it go". Seems that handicapped people only need to be considered equal when someone wrongs them, not when they wrong other people.

You should get a quote to have it fixed, then present it to him. If he doesn't pay, then you should bring him to small claims court.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
As much as that sucks I say take it as a loss. It could have been alot worse and he may have been seriously injured. i dunno about in canada but here the pedestrian always has the right of way. Even jaywalkers must be yielded to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
here in canada is jaywalking against the law and they are automaticly at fault and will get a tiket on top ,now the mirror is only 50 bucks and thats not whats bugging me ,whats bugging me is the aditude from them ,i understand he is deaf and so but should he even more carefull when crossing a road ,but then blaming me because i am driving on that road ?? and yes i am happy that he is ok and nothing happent to him and all but please give a break and fitz i dit gave him the finger after that ,sorry i could help it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
tupmeier said:
you want belive it ,i am driving on a side road and a guy runs into my passenger door in the middle of the street and rips my mirror of i am stopping the car and keep talking to him if he is ok and another person comes forward and tells me that he is deaf and can't hear anything i say ,i tell him i need his name and adress because its his fault because he is jeywalking and i want him to pay for the mirror he broke ,now everyone tells me that i shoulden drive in this street anyway because that guy is deaf ,now i am staying very calm but i basicly ready to blow ,now what would you do????
I'd consider contacting the local law enforcement and get it all on record - you can also consider pursuing your damages through any available other official means.

I realize that you are in Canada, and am basically unfamiliar with how your laws may differ in any particular way. In most US jurisdictions, the pedestrian may have the right-of-way in many situations - but MUST exercise responsibility to avoid/prevent sudden and unexpected movements, and respect approved and common flows of traffic in the absence of marked crossings, etc.

Of course, that is how it all relates to written statutory laws. Civil claims can be different, as they are geared toward actual individual "claims" and damages leading to a "judgment" - as opposed to statutory laws that pertain to the public law and order. In other words, you could determine and document your actual damages and pursue the matter in a civil court - but do run the risk that HE could do the same by a counterclaim for any real or claimed injuries (unless HE acts first in that manner).

Therefore, my main concern is how this person could manipulate the facts about this. What prevents HIM from officially reporting the incident - and claiming that YOU injured HIM, that you didn't try to resolve anything, and (worse yet) "hit and ran" from a personal-injury accident?

Unless you have proven otherwise (since the incident), how do you know that he and the person who approached you afterward aren't "scam artists" who will make a later claim - although their usual tactic is to try to pressure someone to make a "settlement" on the spot.

Until that is ruled out and the incident properly followed up on, you don't even know for sure whether the guy is even deaf. Plus, official followup
can determine if this is an isolated incident (by this person), or if he may have a "record" of such behavior.

You do have the risk that this course of action could also investigate any question of fault and/or liability on your part - plus have a possible effect on your insurance. That is something that you should consider, unless you have a means of verifying the above and protecting yourself from potential false accusation outside of formal and official channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
Fingernipp said:
As much as that sucks I say take it as a loss. It could have been alot worse and he may have been seriously injured. i dunno about in canada but here the pedestrian always has the right of way. Even jaywalkers must be yielded to.
In most states, if the driver was driving within the law and did everything reasonably possible to avoid hitting the pedestrian, then the driver would not be at fault, the pedestrian would be. I've actually seen cases where the driver was considered to not be the guilty party in the accident because the pedestrian was the one who created the unsafe environment. (I was a small town cop in Oregon before I joined the military).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Harley said:
I'd consider contacting the local law enforcement and get it all on record - you can also consider pursuing your damages through any available other official means.

I realize that you are in Canada, and am basically unfamiliar with how your laws may differ in any particular way. In most US jurisdictions, the pedestrian may have the right-of-way in many situations - but MUST exercise responsibility to avoid/prevent sudden and unexpected movements, and respect approved and common flows of traffic in the absence of marked crossings, etc.

Of course, that is how it all relates to written statutory laws. Civil claims can be different, as they are geared toward actual individual "claims" and damages leading to a "judgment" - as opposed to statutory laws that pertain to the public law and order. In other words, you could determine and document your actual damages and pursue the matter in a civil court - but do run the risk that HE could do the same by a counterclaim for any real or claimed injuries (unless HE acts first in that manner).

Therefore, my main concern is how this person could manipulate the facts about this. What prevents HIM from officially reporting the incident - and claiming that YOU injured HIM, that you didn't try to resolve anything, and (worse yet) "hit and ran" from a personal-injury accident?

Unless you have proven otherwise (since the incident), how do you know that he and the person who approached you afterward aren't "scam artists" who will make a later claim - although their usual tactic is to try to pressure someone to make a "settlement" on the spot.

Until that is ruled out and the incident properly followed up on, you don't even know for sure whether the guy is even deaf. Plus, official followup
can determine if this is an isolated incident (by this person), or if he may have a "record" of such behavior.

You do have the risk that this course of action could also investigate any question of fault and/or liability on your part - plus have a possible effect on your insurance. That is something that you should consider, unless you have a means of verifying the above and protecting yourself from potential false accusation outside of formal and official channels.
,proplem is the guy diden't even wait i told him to ,but i guess he could hear me ( hey thats funny :D )he just run off ,i have basicly nothing from him
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
I think you need to sue Dodge for not making the car noticeable enough LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
So this blind guy walks into a department store and starts twirling his seeing-eye dog above his head.....a clerk sees him, runs over and says "Can I help you, sir?", to which the blind guy replies...'nope, I'm just looking around.........'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MikeinWoodstock said:
So this blind guy walks into a department store and starts twirling his seeing-eye dog above his head.....a clerk sees him, runs over and says "Can I help you, sir?", to which the blind guy replies...'nope, I'm just looking around.........'
:D :D thats funny.cheers Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
Q: What do you call a deaf guy?
A: Nothing, he won't hear you anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
SOmeone told you you shouldn't drive on that street because of the deaf guy? Dirty Liberals, they'll be the death of us all............

Hunt him down, take the money out of his........


:eek: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
tupmeier said:
here in canada is jaywalking against the law and they are automaticly at fault and will get a tiket on top ,now the mirror is only 50 bucks and thats not whats bugging me ,whats bugging me is the aditude from them ,i understand he is deaf and so but should he even more carefull when crossing a road ,but then blaming me because i am driving on that road ?? and yes i am happy that he is ok and nothing happent to him and all but please give a break and fitz i dit gave him the finger after that ,sorry i could help it
Well it is Hamilton after all!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
There's a woman I see once in a while around the office I work. She's got an electric wheel chair, and ignores every type of traffic signal. Stop signs, red lights....even goes down the right lane of the road, and zips around the parking lot. It's always seemed a little crazy to me. She always looks like shes inches away from getting hit.

Reminds me of an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm"....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
The best thing to do might be to drop the whole thing... especially without credible witnesses. If you get into a "your word against his" debate in a court of law or before a judge or a police officer they most likely will do exactly what Sgodun describes... that is they will think he's a poor thing and you are terrible for going after him. IMHO

Too bad Dodge didn't put folding mirrors on these things.:mad:
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top