Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried to get the dealer to install speed control on my new caliber but they said that they don't have it yet. ???? :confused:

has anyone else had a problem like this?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will have to check with my dealer. That is on my list of things to have done though so I hope there isn't any issues with getting it soon. However, I know they are having issues at the plant and it takes time to train people so we may have to wait just a bit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My dealer said that they could not install speed control.... Please keep us updated on your progress as I would love to have it for those 2000 mile drives :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
calibur said:
My dealer said that they could not install speed control.... Please keep us updated on your progress as I would love to have it for those 2000 mile drives :)
Now I am really interested in getting an answer. That is going to suck if they can't do it. I don't think that is the case since I remember my parents had that option put on their Camry a couple years after they bought it but then again that was Toyota. I think I found me something to do after work today!:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
i tried to buy the central cockpit-trim... they are out of stock for month. i guess it all goes into production right now.

but they told me the same thing for my stratus, wich came without speed control, as austrians usually buy cars without.... and they had non with it installed.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Coming from an engineering support group (non auto related, but we do have "field upgrade kits" which would be comparable to a dealer-installed item), here's my 2 cents worth. Take it or leave it.. ;)

Just because an option is available at the factory does not make it automatically available at your dealer...

Before a dealer-installed item can be made available for purchase, a "kit" must be created that specifies all the hardware required (e.g. speed control switch arm itself, wiring harnesses, and some sort of electronics that communicate Set/Accel/Cancel etc with the throttle), not to mention the installation instructions for the service techs and any "operation" instructions for the consumer, the box and other packing materials, labels, etc.

Then this kit must be put into the parts database and extra materials added into vendor/supplier purchases (i.e. you need to buy "x" amount for vehicles on the line plus another "y" amount for the kits). That takes time, working with vendors and suppliers on parts lead times, determining where and when to deliver the parts. Someone somewhere has to pack the kits...

If such a kit is not available, you can't get the accessory. Even though all the parts needed clearly exist (at the factory).

It would be a different issue if the item was listed on mopar.com or if the dealer had it listed in their accessory catalog, and it said "out of stock" -- but apparently that is not the case here.

I'm sure it will be available eventually, so just have patience. And it IS odd, given that speed control is so common, that this wasn't one of the first items made available as a dealer-installed accessory.
(Actually, I'm surprised that speed control isn't a standard feature!!!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Caliber with speed control. I recommended the car to a friend who purchased one without it (but paid for it upon purchase) but with a committment from the dealer to order and install it. Bottom line: dealer found that speed control, as a dealer option, will not be available for at least 9 months. Dealer did the right thing and gave my friend total credit for the car she bought in trade on another Caliber with speed control.

·
Registered
162 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
(Actually, I'm surprised that speed control isn't a standard feature!!!)
I agree with you on that! Just like CD players and for the most part A/C, speed control is way to common of a feature these days to be considered an extra. Especially on the mid-level versions of a vehicle (ie. Base SXT). I don't have it on mine but I knew that when I bought it. I needed the car then so I don't have any hard feelings about having to wait longer to get an extra. It is just more annoying then anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts