1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants a Caliber, and has his name on the waiting list at a few
different dealerships. He gets a call from one yesterday saying that they have
a Solar Yellow SXT w/ most of the options he is looking for. He calls me up and
we head out to the dealership. We see the car and park next to it. I see next to
the window sticker another sticker that says 'Dealer Installed Options". The
option is an Auto Armor environmental package at $899! WTF?? They are doing
this to ALL Calibers that come in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SteelBlue75 said:
Would that be the ridiculous amount you pay for scotch guarded seats and clearcoat finish. I noticed that too.
Exactly

ScotchGuard
Undercoating
ClearCoat Finish

About $250-350 is what this ACTUALLY costs. Anyway, my friend told them to take him
off their list. They are having this Enviro Package applied the minute they get a Caliber in.
A$$holes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Actually, they aren't doing that package as soon as it comes in, they "might" do it after the sale, they use it as a sales tool and claim they did it. If you don't buy their BS about it, they can lower or delete it and still come down to sticker price, which normally is not the price you want.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ejfb said:
Actually, they aren't doing that package as soon as it comes in, they "might" do it after the sale, they use it as a sales tool and claim they did it. If you don't buy their BS about it, they can lower or delete it and still come down to sticker price, which normally is not the price you want.
This is what I figured. However, this car had the package applied before any negotiations took place with any customers (or so he said). I hate how most dealerships are so slimey. Regardless, this place is lying out their asses. They are known to be horrible. They have an automall with like 20 dealerships all in one place and their sales are WAY down.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well I know car dealers real well, know all the ins and outs, and trust me, they DIDN'T do anything to the car, its all a sales tool, if you end up buying it and pay for it, they have the guy in the back buff the car (paint sealant), take a can (yes a real regular spray paint type can) and he sprays in holes and areas that you will SEE to prove rust proofing was done, and thats about it. So for $25 or less, you pay $1000 normally. Good deal huh?

·
Registered
506 Posts
grrr i hate car dealers.... yet another benefit of military car sales :-D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ejfb said:
Well I know car dealers real well, know all the ins and outs, and trust me, they DIDN'T do anything to the car, its all a sales tool, if you end up buying it and pay for it, they have the guy in the back buff the car (paint sealant), take a can (yes a real regular spray paint type can) and he sprays in holes and areas that you will SEE to prove rust proofing was done, and thats about it. So for $25 or less, you pay $1000 normally. Good deal huh?
I am so happy I only buy a car every 6 yrs or so

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I went to buy my Caliber... The dealers were adding 2000 to 3000 to the MSRP of the cars... and I really had to wheel and deal with them to get it down to MSRP... One dealership I got into a heated discussion with and finally just walked away...

They think they can get the mark up now... it is a fast selling car... they get them and they sell them..

·
Registered
115 Posts
ejfb said:
Granted I know a lot of dealers are crooks, and will screw people out of money, or lie about things, but you don't speak for all dealers. I do work in on, I actually work in 12, I run IT for the carbone autogroup in utica, ny. I am not saying everybody here is honest, but after anybody buys a car here, if they purchase the rustproofing and undercoating, $375 though us, (dealer cost is $199) You really get what you asked for. I have to smell that undercoating crap for half of the day, and the guy walkin around in the one piece clear jumpsuit (we call it the condom which makes him... we you get it). N E way Yes im sure that when it comes to sales they will still screw you, but good service here is what we are know for.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
playB0Y42 said:
I run IT for the carbone autogroup in utica, ny.
Were they in Syracuse at one time? I seem to remember a Carbone Pontiac.
I am sure you have heard of Burdick. They have the huge automall here in
Cicero.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I deal with one sticker and only one sticker. Thats the manufacturers sticker. If they added stuff to it later, then thats too bad. They eat that cost. No exceptions as far as I am concerned. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
At my dealership every single new car has a 'dealer added' options sticker. It has window tinting for $140 and desert protection package for $995. The window tinting is fine. In Arizona tinting is a necessity. The so called desert protection package is a paint coating and complete detailing of the car done twice a year for 3 years. When negotiating a price I ignored it and worked off what I knew the invoice to be. They never mentioned the $995 charge and I bought my Caliber at $200 below invoice (dealer kept $500 rebate). I have bought 4 cars from this dealer and each time I just ignore the bogus dealer markups.

I did buy the auto detailing package seperate from any price negotiating of the Caliber itself. I paid $200. It's a good deal as they completely detail the car inside and out twice a year for 3 years. I had this done on my Dodge truck and its well worth it...just not for $995.

Any dealer added options are negotiable. Tell them you won't pay it, don't want it etc. If they say they can't take it out then tell them goodbye. Odds are as you walk away the manager will come chasing after you saying he'll take it off.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Trust me, most dealers are scammers. Not all, but most. My buying experience had to be one of the worst, in terms of getting robbed for my money! I mean, I questioned every nickle and dime these mf's had on the Bill of Sale contract. Muthufuggin scumbags!!!! I hate some car dealers!! I went with my friend over the weekend to buy a 2006 Ford Mustang, the dealer took good care of him! Explained what every paper meant, told him about his warranty contract in DETAIL! My experience??? Total OPPOSITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes we did have one in syracuse for a little while. We took the pontiac brand and brought it here to utica. We have dealerships in NY; utica, rome, and yorkville, and in Vermont; bennington. All the major brands except chevy. We have Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Dodge, Jeep, Chrystler, Pontiac, Buick, Cadilack, Saab, Subaru, Ford, and BMW. I konw we will all have our Calibers 4-ever, but if anyone is in the area and lookin for a new car, let me know and i'll put in a word for ya (in dealership terms that means you won't need to bring the vasaline.)

·
Registered
384 Posts
The sad part is, most all new cars come with all of this anyway. What they add on is unneccesary!

·
Registered
911 Posts
FlyingTurd said:
This is what I figured. However, this car had the package applied before any negotiations took place with any customers (or so he said). I hate how most dealerships are so slimey. Regardless, this place is lying out their asses. They are known to be horrible. They have an automall with like 20 dealerships all in one place and their sales are WAY down.
Sounds like Simmons-Rockwell in upstate NY. They do all kinds of crap like that all the time and continuously get away with it. They have very deep pockets and sell cars pretty damn low in price. Some vehicles are 6,000 off the stick price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ours was done free. Also the theft guard numbers on the glass. Maybe its the benefit of buying cars from the same dealer for 35 years. We also hold PT shows in their lot in the summer. They are a sponsor of our PT club. If anyone is starting a Caliber club let me know ill help out.
mike

·
Registered
226 Posts
I go where they treat me good. I went to one of my clients and he lost my 'sold' deal because he didnt' want to talk to me without my husband. I make the decisions... I'm the CFO in this house.

As for the extras.. the dealership that I went to didnt' add anything that I didn't ask for. I think they knew better. lol I did get the undercoating because Iowa salts the roads in the winter but that was only an extra $200.

Tiff

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know none of these have to do with me...

but anybody have any good storys..

lol...

I feel so much like a bottom feeder!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts