Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shopping for my Caliber I stopped at about 3 or 4 dealers in the area. I ended up buying at a dealer 1. that had the car I was looking for 2. had a no pressure attitude. The no pressure attitude is what really sold me. That and the free oil changes. (I know nothing in life is free)

Fast forward 3,000 miles, I bring my car in for its first oil change. I tell the receptionist about the pinging and the engine knock. She assures me it will be looked at. I get the car back and she tells me they did the computer flash because they found a recall notice on the car but they couldn't diagnose the exhaust ping. I say okay and leave.

6,000 miles comes around and I schedule my second appointment telling the person that I now have the squeaky seat mentioned in the service bulletins, also I tell them that a pin on the Ipod holder is broken. A week passes and I bring it in for the oil change. At 6000 miles the first "service" is due as well. This service is only a tire rotation. Every volkswagen I've owned got its tires rotated for free while the oil was draining, they would even change my summer tires to winter tires if I wanted them to. I've rotated my own tires with a floor jack in 10-15 minutes. But the dealer wants to charge me $20. I politely decline saying I would do it myself and they inform me that would void my free oil changes for life so out goes $20 for the tire rotation. 30 minutes later my car is done and they tell me the technician had a hard time diagnosing the squeaky seat and didn't hear anything but he did find a rubber ball on the floor of the back seat, he thinks it might have been that. I had the squeek long before the ball was back there. I explain that the seat issue and repair is covered in a bulletin and she says "yeah I have access to those". So I ask why she didn't print it out and hand it to the technician so he wouldn't have had to "diagnose" the problem. To which she says "you know sir our last appointment is usually 3:00pm so we squeezed you in at 4:00". Nevermind the fact that the service department closes at 5:30 and the oil change was done by 4:30. Also the bulletin quotes a time of 15-30 minutes for the seat fix. They also hadn't ordered the Ipod holder so I now have to bring my car back to them to install that when it comes in. It's just really frustrating when I things that I know can be fixed and I know how to fix don't get fixed. I'm thinking of just taking my business to another dealer and voiding the free or not so free oil changes.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wow, you fell for the dealer line about you persoanlly rotating your tires voiding the free oil changes?? How the hell does you rotating tires have anything to do with free oil changes. And not sure about your dealer, but the free oil changes I got from my dealer are transferable to any Dodge dealer I can get to. Maybe if you explain the situation to the new dealer, they might work with you as far as oil changes. Maybe let you buy a years worth of oil changes at a reduced price, or something like that. Finding a dealer you like for warranty and service repairs is difficult sometimes. It all starts with the service writers. If you find a service writer or even service manager you like, and who likes you, they will make sure stuff gets done. I had a dealer I went to with my truck when I was up north. The service writer I always used remembered me everytime I came in and called me by my first name. They loved my truck and actually anticipated everytime I woudl bring it in just so they coudl see what else I had done to it. They didn't care about the mods I did as far as warranty work. I really wish I coudl find a dealer like that here in San Diego.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that I fell for it, it's just she had the power of the computer to note my file as no free oil changes. Also one of the stipulations of the free oil changes is that I keep up with the maintenance as provided by the owners manual. Now that I know there is an oil filter available at autozone I'll be doing my own changes from here on out though. :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
.22 said:
It's not that I fell for it, it's just she had the power of the computer to note my file as no free oil changes. Also one of the stipulations of the free oil changes is that I keep up with the maintenance as provided by the owners manual. Now that I know there is an oil filter available at autozone I'll be doing my own changes from here on out though. :D
Right, but as long as you can prove you did the maintenance, it doesn't matter who does it. Just more dealer bull****.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts