Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as last posted about a month ago or so...I had a starting issue. The caliber wouldnt start until the 3rd try. All it did was crank and that was it. So I brought it to the dealer and they said they couldnt find anything. Mind it was about 40-45 degrees outside when this happened.

Well the caliber went back to the dealer again yesterday for my speakers. They sounded like they were cutting out...well they ordered me a new radio because it had something to do with the radio.

Now about 2 days before I brought the car down to the dealer....starting issue again. So they called Chrysler and told me to keep a log for a week with temps outside and did I just get a full tank of gas...pretty much basic stuff. And I gotta bring the car back next week with the log and also for them to install the new radio. So we'll see what happens.

Its really weird with this starting issue. The reason I say that is you would expect it to do it when its really cold outside. But about 2 weeks ago we had a weekend where it was like 19 outside and the thing started with no problem after sitting all day.

I dunno...we'll see what happens

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks like they may be considering that there may be water in the gas as part of the starting problem, however, you can check that yourself by adding one of the small bottles of gasline antifreeze.

At least it will eliminate that as a cause and get them to look elsewhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
bringin it back from the dead.....

Alright so heres the deal. The caliber is going back this friday for the starting issue. They cant determin whats wrong with it. Its not water in the gas, they checked that plus they had me keep an eye on when I put gas in the car and temp outside. This will be my third time to the dealer with this starting problem.

Im outta ideas on what it could be for this to be happening. It goes back Friday and they are gonna tell me the same thing, that they cant find anything wrong with it. If it comes down to the fact of having to leave the car there till they can find the problem then I will.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you do that make sure that they give you a free loaner since that will be an incentive for them to locate and fix the problem because it is costing them money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oldguy said:
If you do that make sure that they give you a free loaner since that will be an incentive for them to locate and fix the problem because it is costing them money.
definately

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok just heard from the dealer a little while ago. There was a bulletin out about 1 other person having a "weak starting problem"...I guess its something to do with when the car isnt on and just parked, theres something drawing juice out of the battery thats causing it to be a weak start.

So they did a computer upgrade to the software and what not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That sounds a bit fishy. There is always going to be a draw on the battery. That's why if you leave your car parked for a while, And I mean a while, It won't start.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea I dunno anymore...haha...I mean I love the car and everything and seriously just thinking about trading it for another one...though i would lose a little money...so who knows yet.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
there is always a parasitic draw for any KAM in the ECM and radio. It should measure in the milliamps and there is a range considered to be normal. The dealership should be testing this to determine if its the cause of your issue.

·
Registered
687 Posts
When you say they can't find the problem do you mean they don't have the problem while it's at the dealership or it acts up there too but they have no idea what is wrong? Is this a five star dealer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they dont have the starting problem while its there and they run the basic tests on it like the battery/fuel pump pressure and all the others and nothing is outta place. And yup its a five star dealer.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have you noticed if it matters where the wheel is turned when this problem occurs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Have you noticed if it matters where the wheel is turned when this problem occurs?
The only times it happens is if the wheel is straight or turned to the left(damn circular driveways).

What are your thoughts on this ?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Really never heard of it before, I'm just guessing. I'd try starting with the wheel in different spots so you can get the problem to act up when you want it to... at the dealership. It's obvious they are not spending too much time trying to find the problem.

Edit: I could ask at work what their thoughts are as the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Really never heard of it before, I'm just guessing. I'd try starting with the wheel in different spots so you can get the problem to act up when you want it to... at the dealership. It's obvious they are not spending too much time trying to find the problem.
yea I know and thats the aggravating part. Today is the 3rd time its been at the dealer for this problem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you could that would be awesome because Im stumped as are some car people I know...its a big mystery

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If it really comes down to it i can give you a hand and run a series of draw tests with the wheel turned in different directions and such.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fingernipp said:
If it really comes down to it i can give you a hand and run a series of draw tests with the wheel turned in different directions and such.
Thanks I will keep that in mind being you are a local.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I really hope I can find something out at work to point the dealer in the right direction for a correction before this Caliber gets a new home. :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts