Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was hit by another vehicle two blocks before arriving at my destination. I survived, walked away from the accident with only bruises, but my R/T didn't. It was totalled. I'm deciding what I'm going to do, not sure if I will get another Caliber or not (matter of money, not desire). I won't give any details of the crash other than it wasn't my fault and I'm very glad I walked away from it. Things could have (and probably should have) been much worse than they were. Thank heavens I was in a Caliber R/T AWD, it protected me very well. Heck of a car, and I'm very glad I got to own one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry to hear about that... But you didn't have insurance? Why wouldn't they pay for it if it was wrecked?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
good thing is that your ok ,you can allways replace a car ,the most importend thing is you walkt away from it ,post some pics if you can so we can see what the caliber can take

·
Registered
37 Posts
The problem with insurance is that unless the car is paided off ull more than likly walk away empty handed but no car note.Leaving u to find money for a downpayment.Hope fully u owed less than what is is worth and have some $$$ for another car.But im glad to see ur ok and that the car did its job in saving ur life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"The problem with insurance is that unless the car is paided off ull more than likly walk away empty handed but no car note."

That depends on your insurance policy. When I insured my new Caliber I opted for a 2 year no depreciation clause. It costs me more per year, but less than I would pay if I had to make the difference up out of pocket.

·
Registered
253 Posts
3 years no deprations for me. will cover the full cost of the car and outstanding on the old one 30$ a year

·
Registered
37 Posts
WE have the same deal with our insurance.Progressive.But my wife works for another company thats cheap as can be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because I purchased the car before the market was hot I got a really good price, and I had an AWD R/T which is holding it's value exceptionally well, I owed less than the value of the vehicle and was given a decent check that I will use towards purchasing a new car. But I'm also now caught at the other end of the catch 22, the exact same car will now cost me over a thousand dollars more than my original did. I need a lower payment than what that will get me, so I may not be getting another caliber. It doesn't make sense to pay more money for the same product, even if I did like the product. I did have gap coverage on my insurance, but it didn't apply since I wasn't upside down on the loan to value.

·
Registered
343 Posts
GAP Insurance is a must. Chrysler Financial required it when I bought my Liberty

·
Registered
143 Posts
:eek: that sucks....let me check my crystal ball....i see a dodge charger in your future...:D

If the other person was cited for the crash you will def. win. how much you get is up too

1. How much you have invested (down payment and paid payments on car) + maybe a couple of thousand more.

2. After market accessories (systems, TINT, ect.)

3. Out of court settlement

4. lawyer (wouldn't recomend) Deal with the other persons insurance then if the take to long or don't pay up just tell them your going to "seek legal advice" dont threaten just advise legal attention is needed. you should get a responce soon enough from the insurance after that...trust me from experiance...I had Geico and the other person had Geico so they tried saying it was 25% my fault and 75% her fault...I was like WHAT!!!??? SHE GOT CITED FOR FAILURE TO YEILD THE RIGHT-A-WAY!!!! Thats when i mentioned "legal advice" and things went real smooth after that from the insurance cause they didn't want me to go get a lawyer ....long story short i got what i paid for my neon and $4000 more:D

Good Luck and keep a cool head

·
Registered
644 Posts
damn that sucks dude, at least youre ok though. wish you luck trying to find a comparable vehicle. its too bad youd have to pay more for the exact same car. i kinda lucked out when i bought my loaded R/T in april 06 as well. i paid 2k under MSRP.... my interest rate sucks, but at least i got the car for a good price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts