Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months now my wife and I have been pondering buying a Caliber. We were essentially waiting until I decided if I was going to opt for retirement (I'm in law enforcement at the federal level in Canada) which I had been considering for about 5 months as I'm actually 5 years past the minimum for a pension. I was recently offered a security consulting job that was too good to pass up so I submitted my resignation and will be a 'civilian' in a couple of weeks.

So, after making that decision, we decided to get serious about buying a new car. We were still thinking Caliber, or perhaps even a Jeep Compass but there was the inevitable waiting period for specific colours,options etc. (and we really, REALLY wanted AWD). Then my wife saw a Hyundai Tucson in the neighborhood and said "what's that?". So off we went to our local Hyundai dealer, who only had a few '06s left and they weren't very well equipped. The only AWD unit they had was black, and that just wasn't gonna cut it. So, we decided to check out one other dealership and they had a dark red (called 'mesa red') V6 with AWD and pretty much every option we were looking for, including the leather interior and heated seats.

We took it for a long test drive and, long story short, we thought it over for 2 days and went back and bought it. Now, obviously I don't know if the Tucson will hold up better over time than the Caliber, and yes, the Tucson isn't quite as unique as the Caliber, but we're pretty happy with it. And who knows, maybe we'll still buy a Caliber or a Compass (the lease on my wife's car is up in another 18 months).

So good luck to all you Caliber owners... enjoy your ride, and remember to honk at any Mesa Red Tuscons you see, it might be me !

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase! I think the Tucson is a good looking vehicle and I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision. At least you decided against the Caliber for valid reasons, not because you thought it was a crappy car. That would have gotten you a whole different response.;) Good luck to you and your wife, and to your new life.
Fitz

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats,

Enjoy your new vehicle. You took your time, compared your options and made the best decsion for you. Nothing wrong with that. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Congrats and I don't think you will be dissappointed in the Tucson.. we had it's sister car (Kia Sportage) for 18 months and never had a problem.. it just wasn't RED...:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Haven't you ever heard the saying "Good things come to those who wait"?? :D

Just kidding, Congratulations on your new vehicle. A new car is always something to be proud of.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Should be a great vehicle. I liked the Tucson and the Sante Fe but when I was looking around they were much higher priced than my Caliber. Does the Tucson get about the same mpg?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Congrats, and goodluck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huff said:
Should be a great vehicle. I liked the Tucson and the Sante Fe but when I was looking around they were much higher priced than my Caliber. Does the Tucson get about the same mpg?
On paper, the MPG rating for an AWD Tuscon V6 isn't better than an AWD Caliber R/T, however, the Tucson is rated a little better than my Subaru. As a matter of fact, two former Subaru owners I know, one who now drives a Tucson and one who drives a Sportage (both V6 and AWD) have told me their new rides get better mileage than their Subarus did. And the Subaru is a 4 cylinder. Go figure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts