Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after much contemplation I decided to go get a powerbox installed in my Cali.

My Caliber drove great and had ample power but I just didnt like the fact that my engine although capable of 160 to 170 BHP was set to a more conservative 138....for production time and cost reasons not for performance reasons !

I have a 'Tunit' powerbox installed now which can be manualy adjusted for more or less BHP via a little dial, calibrated from 1 to 12, I have it set at 6. which gives about 150 - 160BHP. dail no12 would prob go to 185 BHP which is maxed out, I'll leave that alone thanks 160 is more than enough.

I noticed the increase in acceleration straight away, my 2.0 litre turbo deisel Cali accelerates much faster. The pulling power in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears is so much quicker that I have to change up faster too.

Pushing about 160BHP now its more like driving a performance saloon (sedan) than an SUV cross style.

The actual 'Tunit' unit goes inbetween the existing ECU plugs, so the original wires etc are still there. The little powerbox which is about the size of a calculator sits next to the airfilter for easy adjustment if needed later.

The Tunit powerbox is quite pricey but I bought the best as I didnt want to go cheap and risk any probs.

At £500 (about $950 ), supplied and fitted inc tax it may be above most peoples budgets. For the new faster performance though, along with over-all smoother driving and a 7 to 10% increase in my fuel economy, I think its worth it.:)

they have distribution places all over the world, check them out
www.tunit.co.uk

·
Registered
140 Posts
thanks for the post, 30 horses is a lot for some and yes the price is high but where theres a desire theres gunna be buyers, seems there should be a good engine management upgrade that will do that same thing while tweaking a few other factors of you engine, i would keep an eye out for that, especially with the srt 4 around the corner, tuners are going to be craving all sorts of stuff like that, i give it not even 6 months after the srt 4 is out and you will have all sorts of upgrade parts that will go on any cali, right now people arent touching the cali too much because they know that the moneys with the srt4, from there you will see many products come out, and most will go on any variation of the cali. just the way ive seen trends go.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree boyblu, the SRT4 will be a great platform for customisers. I believe the lump will be a 2.4 litre and offer around 300BHP but I bet it will still end up getting tweaked. :D

The Caliber as it is though craves to have mods and cutomisation, be it small touches or large. Most people get their Calis tinted even before the wheels have run on the road, and I still have that to do yet :)

Hopefully there will be loads of stuff to fit the Cali when the SRT4 comes out like you say boyblu, we may end up being spoiled for choice :D

ps, If I can just add that a K&N highflow air filter might be my next purchase to help the engine breath a lot easier than standard :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tormentor said:
Do you know if the plug is the same of the Volkswagen engine ? I think you've paid the tuning box too much.
Yes its the same plug.

Good Powerboxes are about £400 upto £700 so @£500 although still pricey is about average.

eitherway Powerboxes are expensive piece's of kit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It costs too much, for the same money or less I have a chip tuning professionally made on dyno, however I'll try one of that things only because it can be unplugged easily, but the most expensive I've found is about 150 euro.
So it should have also the OBD plug, and if it's the same engine of the Golf (Rabbit in the USA) there should be a lot of places to take infos about it :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed Tormentor and dont forget the best place to get info...GOOGLE !!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do tuning up your Caliber !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the engine map is different to the Golf (rabbit ?) as the Cali weighs so much more etc. Paak torque on on the diesel cali is a bit lower rpm than the golf.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tnx for the suggestion, as long as the calibers are not arriving here in Italy I quitted so I'll probably tune a Golf (rabbit) engine, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts